Me Without You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Me Without You Reviews

December 6, 2015
Intimate and sad film about the nature of manipulative female friendships. I'm extra generous here because not many movies show how profound these can be - the film-making is eh. Michelle Williams kills her role as always.
August 6, 2015
this was on so i watched it. putting off watching 'birdman' for reasons i can't explain.
March 12, 2015
one of my all time favourite films
October 4, 2014
Portrait of a friendship between two women from childhood to adulthood as they finally realize the unhealthy nature of their relationship. Friel and Williams are wonderful.
January 11, 2014
OK, uneven film about two friends who grow up together.
½ July 2, 2013
A true testament to just what degree of bitterness can be sustained when two people each see the other as striking the first blow...This is an honest portrayal of the kind of friendship that really sticks with you. Not everyone who sees it will necessarily like it but without a doubt, if you watch it the value will exceed the investment... One of the greatest friendship movies ever made and a genuine meditation thereon!
½ June 18, 2013
everyone has a friend like this. a touching movie that I related to a little too well
½ February 6, 2013
I love the idea behind this movie and the places it could have gone. It fell short of its potential but on the whole I still enjoyed it. Williams is quite good outside of her Dawson's Creek role, and the pairing with Friel works extremely well. A sweet and sad story of a friendship over the years.
½ August 26, 2012
I really enjoyed this flick!
July 22, 2012
Damn Oliver Milburn is so hot in this!
July 12, 2012
One of Michelle Williams' very good early performances.
June 24, 2012
This is a great movie about how friendship changes as we grow older.
½ April 23, 2012
Genuine emotion and really fun, realistic-looking scenes taking place in the 80s make this movie worthwhile. Williams and Friel are both very talented. I did think the end was a little patched on, though. Also, I think I was meant to be a twentysomething in the 80s.
April 19, 2012
Friendships are a crazy thing, and sometimes they can be toxic. I've been there and Me Without You explores a friendship that decays as the years progress, but since that person has become a defining character in your life, it's hard to imagine life without each other. Marina is the party girl, who is extroverted, narcissistic and manipulate. Her best friend, Holly is a quiet, clever, bookish girl who is for the most part, responsible. They envy each other for different reasons - Marina envies the tight knit family Holly has, while Holly envies Marina's beauty. The story takes us through the years through the punk and new wave years with an amazing soundtrack as the friendship gets more and more co-dependent. No matter what awful things Marina does to manipulate Holly, she just can't seem to break free. Eventually, Holly comes to the conclusion that she needs to break up with her best friend, but their lives are still connected. love this film, because it's NOT a typical chick flick where everything is carefully wrapped with a bow on top by the end. It shows that best friends don't necessarily last forever which is a very delicate topic to explore because it's not what we want to hear.
½ April 10, 2012
This film chronicles a friendship between two girls who grow up next door to one another during the 1970s and 80s, beginning with their simple youthful love and continuing on through their more turbulent adolescent and young adult relationship with each other. It doesnâ(TM)t stint on the period detail, chronicling the hair and fashion tastes of the two decades in which it takes place and even the academic tastes of the colleges then. The relationship, however, is explored in greater depth as it encounters some predictable problems, namely boys, as well as the growing independence of the two main characters. These are two full, round characters whose coming of age sadly separates them from each other.
½ April 8, 2012
Fresca y llena de mucho drama.
January 28, 2012
This is my favorite film with Michelle Williams. It charts the development of the friendship between two very different girls, Holly & Marina, from their teenage years during the late 1970s to the present day. I love this film because it shows Holly and Marina's friendship throughout the years and all the things they go through. Marina pretty much sabotages every relationship Holly has as she's jealous of her not always relying on her, as she thinks Holly needs her more than she needs Holly. But of course Marina needs Holly more than Holly needs Marina which she proves when towards the end of the film she says the film's name when Holly tells her they can't be friends anymore. I'm glad that towards the end Holly finally ends up with Nat, Marina's older brother, and has a daughter with him. Marina also ends up having a daughter and son but it doesn't clarify who too, but Holly's daughter and Marina's daughter seem to be the best of friends, just like their mothers used to be.

Best line:

Marina: "There's no me without you!" (said to Holly)

My Actor/Actress review:

Michelle Williams - i liked her as Holly, she's a really great actress

Anna Friel - really bossy as Marina, i didn't particularly like her character

Oliver Milburn - i loved him as Nat, this was the first film i ever saw him in
October 6, 2011
Another prime example of a film that builds as it progresses. What starts out as a slightly annoying teen angst movie matures into a complex entanglement of emotion. The ending, reminiscent of The Graduate, is a nice touch.
July 20, 2011
Me recordó una vieja amistad. Michelle lo hace excelente!