The Medallion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Medallion Reviews

January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
June 28, 2016
Okay Jackie Chan vehicle. Based on the cast, which includes Claire Forlani, Julian Sands, John Rhys-Davies and Lee Evans, you'd think this was an English language production, but it's really a Hong Kong production that happens to be suing a largely English speaking cast. This time Jackie plays a HK police dectictive who is killed in an accident involving an ancient medallion which brings him back to life with new super powers. Sands plays the bad guy after the medallion, and Evans plays the annoying comic relief in the film as Chan's parter, and Forlani plays the love interests (which was kind of cool since you almost never see any mixed race couples in film or television). The action sequences are good, as you would expect in a Jackie Chan film, though they're are not his best or patricianly memorable. The main thing I took away from this film is that I miss seeing Forlani in more films ("Mallrats" made me get a crush on her). Overall, this film is probably only for hardcore Jackie Chan fans.
½ June 26, 2016
Another useless film that stars, Jackie Chan.
May 19, 2016
Dumb movie. Not worth watching.
½ April 7, 2016
Terrible film, couldn't finish it, Lee Evans was just too annoying.
October 31, 2015
Review:
This movie was made during the period when Jackie Chan was trying to conquer the US, so the corny storyline and tamed down action scenes were expected. You can tell that Chan was struggling with the language throughout the movie but he still done a good job, especially alongside the crazy Lee Evans. This movie sees Chan (Eddie Yang), playing a Hong Kong detective whose trying to takedown a evil smuggler called Snakehead (Julian Sands). After obtaining a book of secrets which gives him information about a powerful medallion that gives you internal life and special powers, Snakehead goes on the hunt for the Medallion which only works with a little boy. With the help of inspector Watson (Lee Evans), Eddie tracks down Snakehead but he slips through there fingers and moves his operation to Ireland. Whilst battling against Snakehead, Chan dies but he is brought back to life by the powerful medallion. He then goes to Ireland to finish the operation with the help of Nicole (Claire Forlan) and Watson but now he has the powers from the Medallion to help him. When Snakehead gets his hand on the Medallion and the little boy, he realises that it can only work fully with both half's of the Medallion so he has to find Eddie Yang who has the other half. This leads to a big showdown between the two forces, which wasn't that impressive. Lee Evans was a weird choice as a agent because I'm used to seeing him making a fool out of himself on stage. I liked the concept of the movie but the execution wasn't that great and I expected better action scenes from Chan. I'm not a lover of Kung Fu scenes on strings, so the flying around got on my nerves a bit. With that aside, it's a mediocre, watchable movie that is funny in parts, because of Lee Evans but silly in many ways. It's definitely not in the same league as Drunken Master or Rush Hour but it's OK for an English speaking Jackie Chan movie. Average!

Round-Up:
Although this movie was made for a US market, it was directed by Hong Kong born, Gordon Chan who brought you movies like Fist of Legend with Jet Li, the King of Fighters, Painted Skin and Thunderbolt, which also starred Jackie Chan. I'm slowly beginning to realise that you don't know what your going to get when you watch a Jackie Chan movie but your always guaranteed some great action scenes and some decent acting. There hasn't been an actor that can top Bruce Lee, even though his acting career was so short but Jackie Chan has had a huge success in entertaining audiences around the world with his brilliant karate skills. Its just a a shame that I can't say the same about his movies which I personally find pretty bad at times.

Budget: $41million
Worldwide Gross: $34million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/comedy/fantasy movies starring Jackie Chan, Lee Evans, Claire Forlani and Julian Sands. 4/10
February 6, 2015
Claire Forlani is beautiful, and Lee Evans is as funny as Chan, but the Medallion drags from a horrible story/concept, and the special effects are not beneficial to the film at all.
½ January 18, 2015
The Medallion is one of the worst films I have ever encountered, at first I thought the film was a parody but apparently I was mistaken. With terrible camerawork and a laughable villain and an average Jackie Chan performance, I can see how longtime fans of Chan will be severely disappointed by this "film".

To start with, the action sequences and the shoddy camerawork combined was painful to endure, It felt like I was left with a headache after every action scene. The film is completely comprised of cliché upon cliché which is just inexcusable.
The movie's villain "Snakehead" is probably the biggest embarrassment the film has to offer, with a stereotypical "bad guy" cape and voice, seeing the film's villain is probably the only time I laughed throughout the entire film.

The Medallion is a movie which shouldn't of ever been allowed to be seen by any living mortal, how the film was made and shown in theatres is just mesmerising, it makes me wonder what the director and producers were thinking when they were making the movie. If die-hard fans of Jackie Chan hate the movie, if fans of action -comedies hate the movie, then who and why was the film made for?

The film has no redeeming features, nothing is done right, the acting is plain terrible, the camerawork is laughable (especially during the fight scenes), the plot isn't captivating at all, and as for Jackie Chan this is definitely a career low-point.

Would I Recommend: No
December 19, 2014
Un Chan plutot limite. Rea proche de la serie B. A part les cascades de Jackie, il ne reste pas grand chose.
November 8, 2014
It was ok overall, not Jackie's best movie by far, but still a decent storyline
½ July 23, 2014
The most disappointing aspect of this movie is that we like Jackie Chan. Bad CGI, minimal plot, and generic script water down what could've been one of 50 ways of awesome in this movie.
April 28, 2014
Directed by Gordon Chan (Fist of Legend (1994), Thunderbolt (1995) and 2000 AD (2000)), this action-comedy caper originally started out life being called Highbinders, but after filming wrapped, it was recut by the studio, who didn't "get" the humour, and had part of it refilmed. It's a shame it came to that, as it had a good concept yet it should and could have been better than it ended up as. Hong Kong detective Eddie Yang (Jackie Chan) looking for international crime lord AJ "Snakehead" Staul (Julian Sands), who has found a mysterious young boy called Jai (Alex Bao), who has been chosen to bind together two halves of a medallion, which grants superpowers and everlasting life. Snakehead takes Jai, and flees to Ireland, with Yang and Interpol agent Arthur Watson (Lee Evans) in pursuit. In Ireland, Yang is reunited with his British agent girlfriend Nicole James (Claire Forlani). Yang supposedly drowns while trying to save Jai from inside a locked container, but the Medallion gives Yang superpowers and a second chance at life. It's a very silly film, and you can see in it's truncated version what Chan and Co. wanted to do, and it would be nice to see the original cut one day. But for now, it's an insane action film with some very cheesy humour and a few moments of very dodgy CGI, but it manages to have a very likeable charm which manages to succeed.
½ April 27, 2014
The lack of plot with lame action scenes make for a waste of film.
February 22, 2014
This was an awesome movie!! It was fun, action-packed, and hilarious!! The movie had great action-scenes from start to finish!! The cast was great, especially Jackie Chan, which is without a doubt the perfect guy for this film!! This is just a good time at the movies, so don't expect a great storyline!! If your looking for an amazing Jackie Chan movie, than I highly recommend you do not watch this movie!! This is just a fun movie if you know how to take it as what it is!! This is a must-see!!
February 1, 2014
jackie on automatic pilot. He can't even be bothered doing the jokes himself anymore.
December 31, 2013
I own this on DVD in a three movie pack along with:
* Who Am i? (1999)
* Gorgeous (1999)
December 7, 2013
Not only is this a bad movie, but it's also got to be one of the worst Jackie Chan movies I've ever seen. The story sounds almost like it's a complete clone of The Golden Child, only without any appeal whatsoever. The characters are basically uninteresting, with completely clichéd dialogue. By the way, does Lee Evans honestly think he can act? He's the worst part about this movie, worse even than the special effects (which aren't very outstanding). The action is pretty decent, but that doesn't appear to make up for much. Overall, this movie must have been very easy to make, because it's so obviously crappy that it only survives on Jackie Chan's popularity.
½ December 4, 2013
Okay, it's cheesy. But it's fun enough. Provided you ignore the fact that neither plot nor script are that special, and just indulge in the action, you've got nothing to worry about. Sit back, get the popcorn, and enjoy.
½ December 2, 2013
Jackie Chan is after a crime lord who is after a medallion and a kid who can unlock its powers. He is unsuccessful, but finds out he will be in a harbor and he goes to capture him. With the help of Claire Forlani and Lee Evans, he is able to secure the boy and medallion, but ends up losing his life when the shipping crate he's in gets thrown into the water. Unkown to him, the medallion saved his life and gave him superpowers. This is where the film goes from ok, to bad. They overuse the CGI and it just doesn't fit too well. There is too much wire work and too much CGI, that it takes away from what Chan is best at. It also doesn't seem to know if it wants to have Forlani or Evans be Chan's partner so it feels incredibly bloated since neither really gets enough time to develop the relationship. Could have been good, but they needed to get rid of either Evans or Forlani as the sidekick and tone down the CGI and it would have been better.