Mediterraneo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mediterraneo Reviews

August 13, 2017
A film to watch on a summer evening time and time again. Visually beautiful, great music, charming story ... and if people say it's a little sentimental then I say I like sentimental, films set during the war don't need to show it's horrors.
August 27, 2016
Loneliness and irony, melancholy and hope, the beauty of the Aegean landscape and the harsh of solitude. A turmoil of emotions, in a tiny, simple film.
½ July 17, 2016
A truly genuine Italian comedy, with all the ingredients of a classic. Characters that reflect realistic personalities draw the viewer in to plot development that does not feel like a film, but places you in the situation and the idyllic Greek island. You feel empathy towards the misfit characters. The fact that they are supposed to be soldiers just adds to the slapstick nature of the situations. The simple nature of the island folk and natural beauty of their village represents a panacea to the soldiers, as well as the viewers themselves. The ending is particularly poignant, but positive nonetheless, because the characters have aged, but share such a strong bond that developed years earlier on the remote Greek island that changed their lives forever.

Sidenote that this film was produced by none other than Silvio Berlusconi!
March 8, 2015
This light-hearted utopia is a perfect masterpiece.
June 25, 2013
Quando il cinema italiano diceva qualcosa e produceva questi grandi film, con attori comici, ma di rilievo, capaci di far ridere senza volgarita' e in grado anche di far riflettere. Un film piacevolissimo, diretto da un grande regista, che lascia trasparire tutto quello che vuol dire essere italiani non senza un'autocritica nemmeno troppo velata all'italianita' e all'Italia stessa.
June 15, 2013
Salvatore's Academy Award winner is a comedy about eight isolated Italian World War Two soldiers assigned to defend a small Greek island. There, they just relax and enjoy the surroundings. Uneventful and sometimes dull, the settings are still great and some moments are amusing. Performances are good.
February 2, 2013
This movie captivated me over twenty years ago. I thought it was a delightful Italian romp that spoke to me in an intimate way, It was the Italian humor, the scenery, the Aegean, the nostalgia (I was there, in Greece, once) but also a sense of magic, yes, that is what we all want: to be transported to paradise! I saw it again recently and felt the same. Yes, it lacks depth, it is a little frothy, but there are few movies that convey this feeling.
½ December 29, 2012
It is a very simple movie. When you see a movie, you expect a point where the drama and conflict has to step in, but I felt it never happened in this one. It has a very subtle way of absorbing you into that blissful island, a place of escape and you find some sort of calmness and peace. The beautiful art direction, the soundtrack leave a lasting impression to the point that you will keep on listening to it just to preserve for a little bit more the feelings that it creates, that mini-escape from our reality.
½ November 8, 2012
Gabriele Salvatores' war film Mediterraneo is set during world war II in 1941 in the Mediterranean where a group of misfit Italian soldiers who is send to capture a Greek island from the British. But they soon discover that the Island doesn't have any soldiers, because the germans was there before them and imprisoned all the men, while women and children is the only once who's left on the island. So the Italian soldiers takes control over the island with themselves in charge. None of the islanders or the soldiers doesn't have any bad though about one another, contrary they gets along perfectly well, some even falls in love. And they remains there a long time, and have no idea of the date, with no idea of what's happening on the mainland.

Mediterraneo is a entertaining, and some times funny film. With a bunch of colorful characters, which we get to know through the course of the movie and their relation ship with the islanders. One of them even falls in love with a prostitute. If you in the mood for a war film, I would have to disappoint and tell you that except for some distant canon firing at the sea, and a dead mule there's pretty little violence. This movie has the perfect tone, the right Mediterranean tropical tone, or like Homer's Odyssey, in the way we follow the characters though an epic adventure. And it's overall a really enjoyable realizing film, just like a trip to Cyprus. Thumbs up.
½ October 6, 2012
The music. The scenery. The characters. Cheesy in a few scenes but all in all unmissable. WATCH THIS!
August 29, 2012
Film che non avevo mai visto per spregio. Male, perché poi ne sono rimasta affascinatissima, tant'è che ora Salvatores è uno dei miei preferiti.Non so dire se l'Oscar come migliore film straniero se lo sia meritato o meno, sta di fatto che l'ha preso e a me è piaciuto.
February 24, 2012
Great movie, must see.
February 5, 2012
Truly captures the brand of humour for which Italian movies are well known. Incredibly likeable characters and quirkly situations (oh, that vat of olive oil!). As lovely as the scenary is, there really isn't any plot. The film simply moves from one scene of revelry to the next. Although lacking in depth, it certainly delivers in humour.
½ January 22, 2012
Highly recommended mature comedy set during WWII.
½ January 18, 2012
A fabulous tale of the calm in the middle of the storm. An Italian unit in the midst of the Second World War is stationed in a land in Greece that the war forgot. They end up discovering their humanity.
½ December 5, 2011
Fantastic movie. It was nothing like what I was expecting. While showing a piece of history, we finally get to see something more light-hearted, while focusing on the individuals rather than the "big picture". Watching these men go through life on the beautiful Greek island was a great way to spend a couple of hours.
August 26, 2011
Ce l'avevo in lista da tempo...che spettacolo, un classico veramente attuale, "dedicato a quelli che scappano".
½ May 19, 2011
it's delight to watch this movie :))
½ May 11, 2011
April 6, 2011
If this happened more often I might consider joining the military.