Meet Me In St. Louis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meet Me In St. Louis Reviews

December 4, 2016
One reviewer described this movie as coming up "fresh as paint" each time he sees it. I couldn't agree more. It's always a treat, both aural and visual, and I find these characters people I'd like to know. I recommend it!
September 5, 2016
Based on the true memoirs of Sally Benson on her experiences growing up in St Louis in the early 1900s, the film is a technicolor masterpiece and a typical 1940s style film giving WWII audiences a nostalgic throwback to an earlier, innocent. time period and reflecting on the importance of family. Director Vincent Minnelli does a brilliant job conveying the time period with stylish sets, costumes and sharp, artful cinematography (by George Folsey), In fact, his Halloween sequence is just terrific in the manner it sets mood and emotion. The film follows a the Smith family over the course of one year prior to the excitement of the 1904 World's Fair in their beloved hometown. It also gives Judy Garland one of her finest roles as the energetic/spunky teenage Esther. Minnelli fell in love with his charismatic co-star during the shoot (and filmed her more passionately than any other of her directors - she looks stunning in each shot) and they married one year later. The supporting ensemble cast is strong especially the crowd pleasing Tootie (based on writer, Benson herself) played by Margaret O'Brien who won a special Oscar for her role. Who can resist a 6 year old character who is so delightfully mischievous and morbidly obsessed with death (she buries her dolls in a cemetery in her has in her back yard)? She's always the favorite character any time I share the film with my class. The score by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane is terrific. One of the film's tunes - "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" became a holiday standard. Of course, another musical highlight is the Oscar nominated "The Trolley Song" with Garland at her energetic/charming best!
½ July 2, 2016
Pretty good old film. It brought us the song Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!
June 13, 2016
Though lacking a conventional plot (it almost didn't get made because of this), it somehow ends being full of excitement. Full of genuine sentiment, its sharp humor and skillful cast keep it from ever being sentimental or saccharine. Highly watchable and listenable (to). I recommend.
May 18, 2016
The delights of the musical stay with you like the songs and inspire you to enjoy the closeness of family.
February 1, 2016
One of my favorite holiday movies.
December 18, 2015
The musicals that were released in the three quarters of the 20th century are commonly grand by the scale of the said adjective in their performances/talents of doing the number. But they had the challenge of keeping that energy constant without breaking the flat line to go down. The number's the source of energy of a musical to bring that bar up, while the substance of the break between the previous and the next number sometimes can bring it down when it's becoming a little somewhat bland. But the reason behind that is so that the stars can rest and restore their singing energy to have enough to lift the bar back up to the level of a film with an A rating.

"Meet Me in St. Louis" has a beauty in its story and heart with few good numbers that sticks to that grandness. While the substance between those numbers may be what I was just went over, this musical managed to receive a rating with a letter grade of the A by its beauty and some grand. (A-)

My reason watching this was that it stars Judy Garland sometime after "The Wizard of Oz." This is the first film I've saw of her outside of that Dorothy costume, which made this a compelling musical to see if you haven't seen any other Garland musicals.

(Full review coming soon)
December 18, 2015
A wonderful mix of musical and drama, Meet Me In St. Louis never fails to entertaining.
½ October 26, 2015
Very much a movie of it's time. But still very entertaining and still very charming.
½ August 21, 2015
What a bloody awful film. This is supposed to be a classic, do the critics really love all the singing so much that they are blinded to the fact that this is a non-story. Absolutely nothing happens in this film, at least nothing filmworthy. I was bored to tears watching this, unless Garlo was singing, then the tears were not due to boredom.
August 8, 2015
MGM's gem of a musical, expertly directed by Vincente Minnelli with a beautiful sense of color and atmosphere. Judy Garland shines in one of the best roles of her career and gets the best songs: "The Trolley Song" gets the best showcase and was the film's biggest hit, but the enduring "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" has become the standard. A great ensemble cast is the icing on the cake.
April 3, 2015
A beautiful girl tries to catch the eye & the heart of the new neighbor boy in this charming musical about a large, close-knit Midwest family in 1903.
½ February 3, 2015
Enjoyable, but somewhat frustrating in that it feels like nothing of much significance has transpired at the end.
January 14, 2015
Meet Me In St. Louis is a bittersweet tale on the burdens and joys of nostalgia.
January 9, 2015
Wonderful movie. I could watch it over and over again.
January 3, 2015
Pure, simple an joyful family love.
½ January 2, 2015
A classic that should be watched traditionally! Like other classics it doesn't ever wear out its welcome and one more reason you'll remember why Judy Garland is still such an icon today!
½ January 2, 2015
Kurzweiliges Familienmusical mit toller Cast und vielen Ohrwürmern.(Dezember 2014)
---
family spirit musical with charming cast and nice songs among the christmas classic "have yourself a merry little christmas"! (around 2010)
December 28, 2014
Americana at its finest. This is a lovely movie and musical, and is one I will continue to watch through the years. (First viewing - 11/7/2009)
December 14, 2014
There is nothing groundbreaking about this movie, but it does have some very fine acting. Especially for Judy Garland. The movie is also well directed; well filmed; and well written. I know its not a Christmas movie, but it does leave you that Christmas feeling. "Meet me in St. Louis" is like anyone is relaxing on a picnic, and enjoying its atmosphere as we want to have fun time. I enjoy it for what is, and I do recommend this movie.