Meetings with Remarkable Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meetings with Remarkable Men Reviews

January 3, 2014
(Terence Stamp played Billy Budd, so I want to see this.)
½ May 31, 2013
A strange tale of the formative years of George Ivanovich Gurdjieff on his quest for spiritual enlightenment across a vast tract of the Near and Middle East. The movie has a bizarre feel to it with little explanation of what is actually going on. Having watched it, I don't really feel I know much more about Gurdijeff and how he formulated his ideas than I did before and I certainly do not understand his teachings better. It is all very mystical and, I am sure supposed to be allegorical but comes over as rather episodic and stagey. The saving grace is the atmospheric direction by Peter Brook which makes the most of the utterly breathtaking landscapes and settings. This is definitely "art-house" and knowingly so, and I can't but wish that it gave the viewer a little more to go on as there are too many pregnant pauses and knowing looks between the cast that need to be filled with dialogue and exposition. In short I suppose the movie is like Eastern mysticism itself, fascinating, exotic but largely impenetrable to those of us of a more secular disposition.
½ July 1, 2011
Gurdijeff's preposterously serious quest of the meaning of life. The meaning of life :D
July 20, 2010
Meetings with Remarkable Men is the adaptation of part of the autobiography of George Gurdjieff, a mystic who lived between the 2nd half of the 19th century and the 1st half of the 20th century.

The movie is more like a docudrama, about his travels from central asia to Egypt, and back to central Asia once again in a pursuit for knowledge about the purpose of life and existence, and the movie focuses on the time span between his teenage years back in Georgia to his early adulthood and the discovery of the secret place of the Sarmoung Brotherhood.

The movie was well produced, and its purpose was not to tell a story as much as to enlighten those who are willing to receive the knowledge, which is why I gave it a full score.
July 20, 2010