The Mermaid (Mei ren yu) Reviews

• Feb 19, 2021

There wasn't a single box on my list this movie didn't check.

There wasn't a single box on my list this movie didn't check.

• Oct 21, 2020

a little crazy, I don't see the least bit of fun in this movie, there's nothing much, it's just a silly movie that everyone likes.

• Jun 18, 2020

Mermaid madness and environmental messages. Stephen Chow's Chinese romantic comedy The Mermaid (2016) is like if Splash and The Little Mermaid met Crazy Rich Asians. Chow's comedies finally grew a conscious to speak to something deeper than laughter as The Mermaid bears heavy environmental protection messages and is clearly against capitalist greed and cruel fishermen. Chow's writing is mature for the romantic comedy and environmental commentary, but even sillier for the comedy bits. Chow's direction is fast and funny for all 93 brisk minutes of The Mermaid. His absurdist sense of humor is still hilarious to me after seeing Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. His direction is now stylish and sleek with powerful themes and chaotic slapstick jokes. Chow's irreverence satirizes the ultra rich and the vulnerable mermaids alike for absolutely insane comedy. Tang Man-To and Zhang Jiahui's editing is so crazy and funny. They really make The Mermaid a fast paced comedy with a light tone. Chow's entire feel is similar to a gameshow or an anime; it's that erratic. Choi Sung-Fai's cinematography is quite striking for a comedy. His wide shot of the mermaid bloody on the beach is so haunting it could be in a horror film. His close-ups are very cute and make Chow's characters shine on screen. Wendy Zheng composed a legitimately gorgeous score for The Mermaid. The romance theme is memorable and gives The Mermaid a dreamy atmosphere. I adore the lead actress Lin Yun's performance as Mermaid Shan. She's quirky and playful with a fun loving sincerity that I found endearing. She comes across as very genuine for the romance drama, while she's down for whatever for the crazy slapstick comedy sequences. I love her waddle steps as a mermaid masquerading as a human girl. Her eyes are just captivating. You know what she's feeling due to her expressive eyes and face. I hope she gets many more roles after her wonderful acting for Stephen Chow's The Mermaid. Deng Chao is quite funny as the billionaire playboy Liu Xuan. His frustrated screams at not being able to hand out his money fast enough are too funny as is his bad singing. He's a charming love interest and a fascinating villain. He really impressed me in Zhang Yimou's Shadow in his dual roles for that film and The Mermaid is just as interesting except on a comedic level. His hyper acting is a pleasure to watch. Show Lo is hilarious as the octopus Brother Eight. I love Chow casting all his old favorites in small roles throughout The Mermaid too! Kitty Zhang is drop dead gorgeous as the villainess Ruolan. Her sultry performance is only matched by her alluring outfits and spiteful acting. She plays the jealous billionairess perfectly. I have to say that the CGI for the octopus tentacles as well as the mermaid tails looks great. They spent their massive budget wisely for The Mermaid. The film is really well made and a total joy to watch in all.

• Jun 03, 2020

A fine comedy with brilliant ideas and a great crew of actors supporting it all along the way. There's plenty to enjoy out of this Chinese film about a mermaid and her fishy friends' plot to assassinate a billionaire. Full Review: https://rickybinney.wordpress.com/2020/05/24/美人鱼-the-mermaid/

• Mar 03, 2019

I don't know what critics see in this. Chow has done far better and more coherent movies than this.

• Dec 22, 2018

Unusually odd film has uneven amounts of slapstick, comedy and romance.

Unusually odd film has uneven amounts of slapstick, comedy and romance.

• Sep 23, 2018

If you've seen some of Chow's other more well-known films ('Kung Fu Hustle' is brilliant), then you'll recognise the humour as being him all the way through - silly, but funny. It's the most appealing thing about this film; in fact, it's the only thing that makes it watchable. As for the story, it's not only generic and ridiculously in-your-face, but also quite badly written. If they were going for a romance (which is pretty darn significant to the plot), it doesn't feel remotely realistic, nor does it affect; and if they were looking to create some stir around environmental issues, then they didn't exactly go about it in a subtle way, yet somehow managed to fail to adequately show the problem. And then there's the characters, all of whom aren't developed nearly enough with the only remotely likeable one being Lin Yun's mermaid. Whatever went wrong here - for me, they tried to take on two subjects, love and the destruction of the environment, that require a degree of seriousness and other tools that Chow just isn't equipped with - 'Mei ren yu' doesn't work too well. That being said, this is one of China's most successful films ever, so what do I know.

• Feb 21, 2018

This movie is ABSOULTLY hillarous, I watched in once in the theaters, then once again cause it's one of the few movies I will ever watch. (and im not a big fan of movies so a rating like this is like the chances of a coconut falling on your head)

• Feb 17, 2018

Terrible movie. Way to slap stick.

Terrible movie. Way to slap stick.

• Nov 27, 2017

The Mermaid requires a willingness to embrace the strange, but backs up its wacky flights of fancy with a big-hearted fairy tale and a resonant message.