Critic Review - Times-Picayune

This is not a feel-good movie. This is the frigid, hard-to-embrace cinematic opposite of a feel-good movie, in fact -- all wrapped in one long, dark metaphor for depression.

February 17, 2012 Full Review Source: Times-Picayune | Comments (9)
Times-Picayune

Comments

Tracy-lee Rothery

Tracy-lee Rothery

Clearly its not a feel good movie. The title of the film is Melancholia. Another word for a depressed state. Should not a film with this name be "frigid, hard-to-embrace"?

Feb 27 - 12:52 AM

Prince Ampora

Prince Ampora

No shit. The film is called "Melancholia". What were you expecting?

Mar 6 - 09:47 AM

Andrea Mackenzie

Andrea Mackenzie

Wow, what an accurate assumption of a movie that was thought up while the writer was being treated for depression.
Be careful though, if your brother-in-law likes it, he might fire you.

Mar 14 - 10:16 AM

Laura Morris

Laura Morris

Agreed. The best part of the film was when the planet hit. That was WAY COOL!

Mar 24 - 08:49 PM

Watermelanie Seeding

Watermelanie Seeding

Who said it's a feel good movie? A movie isn't better than another because you come out of it smiling. It's about the emotion that emanates and then resonates. And you have to admit you left watching that movie feeling something. You have to realize that the rush of confusion and unease afterwards is the result of a brilliantly crafted film.

May 9 - 03:32 PM

Robert Spreitzer

Robert Spreitzer

"Feel-good" films are not the ONLY sort of films to appreciate. I would say the film causes one to consider their mortality. It is a somewhat refreshing change of pace from the factory-made genre sort.

May 13 - 10:15 AM

Marcel Wilkens

Marcel Wilkens

Is this really a critic? So what did you expect from "Melancholia"?
This movie is just ... I cannot describe it... its perfect!
So please instead of trying to understand a movie that you cannot understand (enlarge your film-horizon), just shut up and watch Hangover!

May 30 - 09:40 AM

Gabriella Santanna

Gabriella Santanna

I agree but it's hard to do a critic about this movie. I felt sad, depressed and mad after watching it. It's terribly slow (I understand slow moments, but this movie was just absurd). I won't say this movie is bad, but that's how it made me feel. I don't even know how to rate it, I just want to get as for from it as I can.

Jul 3 - 03:04 PM