Melvin Goes to Dinner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Melvin Goes to Dinner Reviews

October 7, 2012
A couple of young urbanites sitting around, having the typical conversations overheard late at night in a college dorm - except they are in their 30s. I felt like a conflicted voyeur, eavesdropping on a conversation that I really did't want to hear, and didn't feel a part of.
April 10, 2012
funny conversation based film
½ January 20, 2012
I really don't know why this is considered a comedy. A god watch nonetheless
January 19, 2012
Great script & dialog.
July 27, 2011
Netflix recommended this movie, and it was available for instant streaming, so I watched it last night, and it is hilarious. It's a brilliant conversational comedy--in many ways, it's reminiscent of Woody Allen's films-- where the main characters discuss relationships, sex, religion, and even ghosts, and it has a fabulous ending.
½ July 22, 2011
Melvin Goes to Dinner is about a group of people who have dinner one night in a restaurant where they share stories about their lives. Its really well written, as each characters talks about whats going on in their lives. Each character is hiding something and as the night progresses the secrets begin to come out. This may sound like a drama but its actually just as much an outlandish raunchy comedy, albeit it's almost entirely dialogue driven. After all, the film is directed by Mr. Show alum Bob Odenkirk. The film's cinematography is a little distracting being that its entirely handheld and I think it could have benefited from some better compositions at key emotional moments. The exception would be the flashback sequences which are entirely composed of still photography, which I found quite effective. Overall, its a well-written, funny and dramatic film about a group of friends, who don't see each other much, catching up over dinner.
½ April 21, 2011
There's some really good dialogue here, but the writing itself is weak, as the film doesn't really know what it wants to be. Character development seems forced through the flashbacks, but it isn't helped by sub-par acting. Overall, it's entertaining but lacking depth, and the revelation about the little boy near the end feels tacky.
½ January 22, 2011
Wonderful little indie film, that is completely centered around a dialogue between friends and strangers. As the cover indicates, the topics range wildly, starting off with the silly (ghosts) and ending up quite serious (romantic relationships, death). I found the conversations riveting and very organic, as the bottles of wine opened these individuals up to explore all their inner struggles.
½ January 17, 2011
Great direction and script for this film. The sequences of how the dinner is brough forward is well put together and presented in interesting manners.
½ October 20, 2010
Really good dialogue and writing in this movie saves what could have been a boring movie. It was really enjoyable and witty.
½ August 27, 2010
Chock-full of banal dialogue and witless social commentary. The poster has the words "sex," "religion," "infidelity," "fetishes," and "ghosts" displayed on a plate, suggesting different topics of discussion. Really, that strictly boils down to an hour-and-a-half-long conversation about sex and religion. As you find out more about the characters, some of the revelations are interesting... but not really. Go out and have your own conversation instead.
August 10, 2010
I can't believe that I never heard of this movie and just happened on it on iTunes. Pretty fantastic little flick about talking, secrets, and relationships.
August 7, 2010
Strong plot and brilliant performances, light entertainment for a complex generation.
½ April 19, 2010
Very unorthodox conversation movie, a nice piece to add to your "good movies nobody seen" list.
February 7, 2010
bustttttttttttttttttttt
November 16, 2009
quirky and eclectic, melvin goes to dinner has its shining moments and its duller ones, but certainly not the worst way to spend and hour and a half. A little taste of humanity in a market saturated with manufactured ideals about real life. Great cameo from Jack Black!
October 29, 2009
Wasn't a big fan of this but it's alright at best for me, this movie is very engaging because of every topic brought, this provides insight about each character. P.S. I hate Jack Black.
August 14, 2009
Not particularly good filmmaking, but an interesting stage play on film. Odenkirk is the director, but don't kid yourself - the movie isn't all that funny. Average, but can take up a boring Sunday.
July 31, 2009
Surprisingly fantastic movie. And Flo is in it. So is Pam! Love the drunk waitress. Funny & Touching. Good for men and women.
July 6, 2009
I really liked this. It's kind of at times a poor man's Richard Lancaster film, but pretty thought provoking and interesting. I guess if you like movies like Before Sunset or Thirteen Conversations About One Thing. It's interesting dialogue about sex, relationship, religion, and just interesting human drama.