Melvin Goes to Dinner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Melvin Goes to Dinner Reviews

½ July 4, 2009
good script, could be a great play
June 11, 2009
Reading the description of this film, it actually sounded really good. However, upon watching the film, I found it wasn't about a group of strangers talking about issues of life, but rather a group of like-mind liberal atheists bashing morality and taking pride in their immoral and disgraceful lives.
½ January 6, 2009
I liked it. At times, it felt kinda pretentious but trying to spot the cameos kept my interest along with some interesting dialogue. There were a few funny moments but nothing too hilarious. I dug the cast well enough. And I also dug the twist. I'm pretty sure it won't hold up to repeat viewings but it was decent as a blind buy. All in all, time well wasted.
November 23, 2008
Truly fascinating movie
½ September 24, 2008
i don't know...this movie. it should have stayed a play. i can see where this would have made a good play. the conversation was really set up as play dialogue and seemed forced and fake in an intimate movie. what would have been a great plot twist in a play fell flat and seemed unbelievable and fake in a movie. really, you sat there with the person you are cheating with during all of dinner? and you're really willing to have such intimate talks with strangers? that being said, i liked the comparisons to religious people with schizophrenics. and this movie had like 800 famous people in it. i liked jack black as the schizo. i don't know though, this is something i think i would have enjoyed on the stage, but was bored watching on film.
September 1, 2008
Another funny and entertaining "people hanging out and telling stories" movie. Really enjoyable.
August 29, 2008
indie movie that is just a weird conversation/dialog. I enjoyed listening to it, though...
July 20, 2008
Funny and thought-provoking, but in the end most of the characters are without any redeeming qualities.
½ July 18, 2008
Definitely picks up as it progresses; still an entertaining (if quirky) movie consisting almost entirely of dialogue among friends (and strangers) over drinks and dinner, covering some taboo territory--sex, religion, infidelity, fetishes, ghosts (as mentioned on the cover) among other things--mixed with jump-backs that help establish further character development. And of course I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes featuring David Cross and Jack Black, brief as they may have been. If you like indie films, or your taste in movies ranks anywhere close to mine, try it--you might enjoy it.
½ July 17, 2008
This looked promising, but we gave up and stop watching halfway through. Annoying camera jerkiness, goofy dialog, and unclear plot (if any).
July 3, 2008
Superbly written dialog and great comedy as well
June 11, 2008
A very engaging diner conversation that lasts for 83 minutes and manages to hold your attention as if you were at the table.
June 6, 2008
For those who enjoy the awkward, kinda funny and amusing dinner conversations that have brief moments in some films and then go away because they're trivial. Might be seen as boring to some but it has it's moments. Simple, low key and funny.
½ May 27, 2008
I love this movie so much. It's not even really a movie, more like a taped dinner conversation of four people talking about religion, ghosts, relationships, sex. And the twist in the end is just genius, loooved it.
May 11, 2008
movie about getting older, accepting things you dislike or trying to change them. great cameo by jack black
May 7, 2008
funny, real, thoughtful - if you liked My Dinner with Andre, definitely check this out.
April 13, 2008
I really cant think of anything bad about this movie. great movie. lots of familiar-sounding conversation about religion, relationships, and everything else that's on the cover of the dvd. not a comedy, but has a sense of humor that can put you in a good mood. great ending, too.
½ April 7, 2008
The conversation can feel a little contrived and the performances occasionally come off as less-than-genuine, but it gets better as it progresses. Though brief, the Jack Black and David Cross scenes are pretty damned amusing. Worth seeing, as far as indie comedies go.
March 30, 2008
"Melvin Goes to Dinner" is a movie directed by Bob Odenkirk (Mr. Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry Sanders Show) and based on the play Phyro-Giants. It centers on a dinner meeting between 4 quasi-strangers whose conversations shed light on the mysterious connections between then.

These 4 people--2 guys and 2 girls--excel in the art of conversation. You'll be pulled into their discussions on such topics as threesomes, infidelity, anal sex, ghosts, and god. All frankly admit to the varying degrees of dysfunction that characterize their relationships, but they retain some hope: I think they are partly inspired by the stimulation and camaraderie that results from their chance meeting. Moreover, each person valiantly struggles to find his or her way romantically, refusing to be confined by any common notion of what constitutes a "normal" love affair. After all, it's possible to see both dysfunction and joy in just about any relationship.

The film features cameos by Jack Black, David Cross, and Maura Tierney. Black and Cross offer absurd comic relief, respectively, as a disturbed mental patient complaining that "God knocked me off my pterodactyl" and a self-help guru asserting that "Successful people need my course the most."

And although a movie made up mostly of conversations might seem boring, there are twists aplenty. One revelation leads to another, which leads to another, finally revealing the clandestine connections that have brought the 4 together in the first place. I really enjoyed this film, and I would recommend that you check out "Melvin Goes to Dinner" if you're a fan of other dialogue-driven fare, such as movies directed by Richard Linklater or Neil LaBute.
½ March 22, 2008
AMAZING movie. Hard to find but I don't care how you do just WATCH this movie. Seriously. Watch it.