The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Memory Keeper's Daughter Reviews

May 22, 2016
A pretty good adaptation of the book. They changed some of the details without changing the basic premise of the story. While it works, I was sad that a favorite character of mine was not in the film.
April 16, 2014
It is really hard to like this movie when the male lead is such a bad dude. The ending was a little weak, but sweet.
½ December 18, 2013
amazing book, not a great movie adaptation.
October 23, 2013
A stunning cast and superbly written script, this is a tale of tragedy, love, danger and hope. To imagine it, through one selfish act, a family has to endure heartbreak, but there's a silver lining in every story, and frankly this one's gold.
jjnxn
½ September 11, 2013
Dermot's the star and manages to humanize his rather loathsome character but it Gretchen Mol and especially Emily Watson who provide the emotional heart of this film.
½ September 7, 2013
A little bit more than what I expected. I learned more, too.
August 6, 2013
Moving story! Just loved it
½ July 22, 2013
I wasnt really into this movie,it was actually kinda slow to me and nothing about it really was exciting or intriguing.The only part that i did like was the end when Nora finds out that her beautiful down-syndrome daughter was alive and when she went to see her and the mother and daughter and the daughters brother all met,that was really touching to me.Besides that,i could live without ever watching it again.
½ July 15, 2013
Just completely depressing....
½ May 30, 2013
Really interesting and touching. Loved it. I didn't want it to end.
½ May 27, 2013
Truly one of the worst movies I've seen in a loooong time. I'm being quite generous with a 3/10 rating but I'm not sure why I don't want to give it any less. I started reading the book long ago and only recently finished it on audio. So I went back and watched the movie version I'd DVRed long ago. Horrible!

The book is pretty plush: the story of a 1960s Down's Syndrome child given away at birth...the husband is a doctor and, upon seeing a healthy twin boy, gives the daughter away to be taken to an institution. Instead, the nurse decides to keep and raise the child. Hilarity ensues!

The book is full of over-sentimental flaws. The movie is about five times as bad. Horrible acting, horribly continuity, horrible flashbacks, and no one really ages though the overly ambitious story takes place over about 20 years. So while I cannot recommend the book to many people, the movie falls far, far short of even the book. It seemed to stay pretty true to the story for about 2/3 of the way through, then some rather major details are altered in the final third. They may take away some of the impact from the original story as they deal with characters and decisions. But the movie is so lacking all the way through that I don't think it matters much.
May 13, 2013
This movie was so touching.
April 24, 2013
painful and abit sad but good movie
April 8, 2013
This film is a gem! Amazing the surprises that life throws at you...
October 23, 2012
Such a touching, sad story.
½ October 1, 2012
Now i need to read the book to see how bad they butchered it.
September 21, 2012
either i like movies with down syndrome children, or i just love watching dermot mulroney.
July 26, 2012
First movie in a while that I shed a tear.
July 9, 2012
Definitely makes one cry. An eye opener to those who were guided by biases from stereotypes.
June 10, 2012
Secrets are always discover ...