Men's Group Reviews

• Jun 15, 2012

When I see a film and deem it to be good, it's usually because I felt the emotions that I had expected and hoped for. When I see a film and deem it to be great, like Men's Group, it's because I felt those emotions that I had expected along with some others that came as a pleasant surprise. Watching this independent film out of Australia about a group of men learning to cope with their problems, I found myself experiencing the same sorrow, anger, and genuine compassion as the group of characters did in their weekly therapy sessions. This raw, heart-wrenching story masters the art of storytelling by breaking cinema into its most basic form, scrapping even much of the script in favor of improvisation.

• Mar 12, 2010

Incredibly affecting

Incredibly affecting

• Sep 28, 2009

Men's Group is a small film that suffers at the hands of a lack of money. For the strengths of the film are completely held at bay due to the constraints afforded the cast and crew of the cinematography and sound. The film looks abysmally ordinary at times, and whilst perhaps that was the look the director, Michael Joy, may have been going it did nothing for the stories unfolding. The performances, however, are uniformly outstanding with Grant Dodwell really award-worthy in his turn. His foul-mouthed, gambling addict is really quite an impressive achievement. The whole cast is on point. The film is about both pain and masculinity and how endemic the lack of an ability to express it within men is a problem. A pretty fine effort let down by a smallish budget.

• Sep 05, 2009

Stop what you are doing. Watch this movie.

Stop what you are doing. Watch this movie.

• Jul 04, 2009

Loved this fine Australian movie,reminds me alot about me

Loved this fine Australian movie,reminds me alot about me

• May 19, 2009

a fine film with some really great scenes. it almost has the format of a play in many regards. the cinematography isnt really that good, and some areas of the script i felt were a bit forced, but still really solid.

• Mar 15, 2009

a group of men all facing issues, relationship problems (with partners or with children), all have secrets meet on a weekly basis. It's great to see their relationships with each other develop and how you slowly begin to see what's really going on in their lives. Shows you how important having someone to talk to really is.

• Jan 25, 2009

this is one truckload of AWKWARD

this is one truckload of AWKWARD

• Dec 11, 2008

Very well acted and VERY Sydney. SEEN AT THE MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL '08.