Mercury Rising - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mercury Rising Reviews

½ July 4, 2014
Why did movies made in the 90s have such bad endings? This could have been a decent movie, but halfway through it did fell apart.
½ May 6, 2014
Not one of Bruce's finest moment's.
March 19, 2014
Flat-out trash. Even if their trying it ends up back in the garbage bin.
February 22, 2014
This movie was a surprise for me. It was watchable. Predictable, cliche, and not too shabby. It is entertaining enough to sustain your attention. The action isn't too bad, but what I think keeps your attention is seeing Alec Baldwin and Bruce Willis to head-to-head. A sleeper gem.
February 7, 2014
Even with it's ridiculous, even for an action movie, premise, it still manages to be somewhat entertaining.
February 1, 2014
Mercury Rising is a stereotypical '90s action film that's fairly entertaining, but familiar. When a 9-year-old autistic boy accidentally cracks a top secret government encryption code a rogue section of the NSA attempts to eliminate him. The story's pretty ridiculous and is full of plot holes, but the chases and fight sequences add a lot of energy to the film. Bruce Willis, Alec Baldwin, and Chi McBride lead the cast, and are able to add some personality to otherwise rote characters. A by the numbers thriller, Mercury Rising delivers a solid and enjoyable film that's full of action.
½ December 15, 2013
"Mercury Rising" looked so great from its synopsis... but the synopsis was just vague enough to completely mislead me. In an ode to "WarGames," a young boy accidentally deciphers a secret government code. To heighten the interest of the film, the boy is autistic. At this point, one would expect the film to explore the discovery of the code and show how it is used for good or for evil; instead, it turns the film into "Die Hard" with an autistic kid. Let's see which will draw audiences in better: "An autistic 9-year-old boy cracks the U.S. government's top-secret code when an unapproved test matrix gets published in a crossword magazine" OR "Bruce Willis plays typical heroic character while protecting a kid from assassins for two hours." Well played, Universal. Movie #1 interested me while I never would have given Movie #2 a chance. Even though the plot stinks, this could have been a great vehicle for Miko Hughes to have his Rainman role, but he doesn't. His portrayal of autism is more offensive than it is empathetic. Meanwhile, Alec Baldwin doesn't do much of anything and Bruce Willis is about 30% shy of being John McClane. The film has a few interesting plot twists with several characters unsuspectingly killed off but it isn't enough to make up for the weak acting performances and the bland script.
December 13, 2013
Weird how negative are the reviews of this film. Perhaps a problem of confused expectations? I am pretty cynical at the best of times, but I found the autistic boy played by Miko Hughes endearing, Bruce Willis as the concerned adult a solid and convincing performance, and the story extremely moving. Sure, there is not so much of them, but the action scenes are still good, there is a lot of suspense, and the musical score is excellent. Maybe people were expecting a straightforward Die Hard sequel. That it is not, but it is an absorbing film nonetheless.
December 6, 2013
A Very Under Rated Movie
½ November 14, 2013
An autistic boy cracks a code in a magazine, so the NSA kills his family and is after him. This could have been a good movie, but the film starts to get ridiculous and unbelievable quick and never turns it around. Bruce Willis is ok, but he is forgetable. Alec Baldwin as the evil NSA guy is a really out of place casting. Even though I just watched it, this movie is incredibly forgettable.
November 10, 2013
Neither the plot or the acting are particularly credible, and whilst Balwin's villain does have some charisma it doesn't particularly gel with the other elements of the film. Despite some thriller aspects to the movie the action sequences are fairly lack-lustre, so overall it is watchable but a bit plodding.
October 20, 2013
Nem o Bruce Willis capaz de salvar esse filme...
½ September 30, 2013
This is literally the only movie I've ever seen where breaking glass hurts a character.
September 15, 2013
nice movie to watch of course were here and there need some improvement points.
½ September 9, 2013
It`s a good film, the little boy plays his part well, and Willis as always, fine.
And, i really do recomment this one.
The13x
September 7, 2013
Why the rating is so low?! Mercury Rising possessed many qualities that you don't get from any other action movies - good plot, cast and what an ending! Bruce Willis and Alec Baldwin shines, respectively, as both the good and bad guys. Although, Miko Hughes did good, his character doesn't justify an autistic kid by far and that's quite disappointing. Overall Mercury Rising is one of the best action movie I've ever seen!!

8.2/10.
½ August 20, 2013
Not sure why but I like this movie...must have a soft spot for it. I watch it every time it is on.
July 30, 2013
Only reason it's half good is because Bruce Willis. The kid is really annoying
July 28, 2013
A ridiculous premise and sometimes annoying, but other times well acted and interesting. It was an ok film.
July 12, 2013
Late 90s action thriller starring Alec Baldwin and a beginning-to-go-bald Bruce Willis, with the latter as a FBI agent (on his way downwards), who ends up having to protect an autistic 9 year old boy - who has just cracked a top-secret government code - from an assassin sent by Alec Baldwin's NSA chief.

Solid if unexceptional entry in the genre.