Mercy Reviews

• Jul 20, 2018

Very bad and no scares.

Very bad and no scares.

• Apr 29, 2018

Even little CORRAL could not save this insipid dreck of gothic horror from complete and utter boredom. Lord have "mercy"... *

• Oct 07, 2017

At times it plays with effective sense of suspense and thrilling supernatural atmosphere, but then again, the film falls in some moments, playing flat and lazy, although it never reduces itself to the level of other Stephen King adaptations, this film by Peter Cornwell accomplishes some scares, as well as some involuntary laughs, becoming a so-so experience, benefit only from acceptable performances and some touching themes.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Feb 20, 2017

If you know me, then you know I'm not exactly the biggest Walking Dead fan. And this is talking strictly the television series, I have not read the comics. But I have played Telltale Games' first two seasons of The Walking Dead video game. The first season of the game was better than anything the television series has ever done. I actually cared for the characters. But one of the things I cannot complain about when it comes to the Walking Dead, the tv series, is the casting. Some of the dialogue may be crappy, but the cast does do quite a good job. But, and this wouldn't be a surprise as well if you know me, my least favorite character in the series is Carl. Part of that is the scripting, but part of that is Chandler Riggs' performance. Don't get me wrong, he's not bad (though he's not the most talented actor in that cast), but there's something off-putting about how he acts as this character. And, as irrational as that may seem, some of that dislike travels with you even when you watch something completely unrelated to the Walking Dead. But, thankfully, Riggs' character in this movie wasn't overbearing and he, quite frankly, did a pretty solid enough job in this movie. There's obviously not much to the character other than the fact that he's close to his grandmother, but he's perfectly fine. The problems I have with this movie are completely unrelated to him. Conceptually speaking, this is actually quite an intriguing movie. Rebecca, Buddy and George (Riggs) go back home to take care of their ailing grandmother (mother in Rebecca's case). The grandmother used to be vital and active, but when they go back they find her barely able to do anything by herself. She can't speak, she can't move, she needs all sorts of injections to help her. But, things turn strange when the grandmother starts acting out violently and sometimes speaking in tongues. This is what surrounds the mystery of the narrative. What exactly happened to Mercy, the grandmother, that made her the way she is now. Of course, it's something that goes back over 50 years. Mercy, unable to conceive, makes a deal with this...power (or something, I'm not quite sure what she was) in order to be able to become a mother. But she has to give up the good in her in exchange of it. The change is minimal, since she's carried this supernatural being with her for over 50 decades. But, bit by bit, the power is slowly taking over her. This escalates once she's taken back to her home to 'die in peace', as it were. Sounds intriguing, right? And, really, it kind of is. The problem I have with the movie is that it's super short. So they have to rush through a lot of it, so you never really get a sense of how bad this curse actually is and how it has affected Mercy's life. They certainly attempt to do so, but I feel that the story could have done with a little bit more expanding. This is problematic when, in the third act, a close friend of the family, who's in love with Rebecca, reveals that the grandmother promised Rebecca to him. And I was totally confused, because they don't actually bother to explain what this was about in any way, shape or form. With a little more time, they could have expanded as to what he meant and what the point of her promising Rebecca to him was. As such, it's just a throwaway line that serves no purpose other than to muddle things up. There's also a sister, Rebecca is part of triplets, who is privy to what's going on with Mercy but, again, it only muddles things. They do attempt to explain what is going on in the last section of the film, but, again, with so little time they do so very haphazardly. You're never quite sure as to what happened, why it happened or why you should care. And that's a shame because, again, the movie is conceptually interesting and I feel that they could have done so much more with this if they took a little more time and care in constructing these characters. Honestly, this isn't bad at all, even if it hits all the familiar supernatural notes. The cast is surprisingly strong and I'm quite surprised that, as far as I can tell, there was no major release for this film in theaters. Maybe it had a limited run in a few theaters, but I hadn't heard about this film until I saw it pop up on Netflix, seemingly, ages ago. It's really irrelevant, though, the film's presence, or lack thereof, on the big screen has no effect on its quality. But I don't know how to rate this movie. It's got a good concept, but so-so execution. But I wouldn't say it's average. I guess that, at best, I'd say that this was an ok movie. Its flaws are too numerous to ignore, but I'm sure one could do worse than this. Point Break remake, anyone?

• Feb 20, 2017

Mercy was a great movie my friend and I happened to watch on Netflix which was well balanced out and was easy to understand likes most although I was a little confused with the little girl the little boy kept talking to I assumed its the younger conscience of the grandma.

• Aug 30, 2016

It was a good story it wasn't scary but a good story

It was a good story it wasn't scary but a good story

• Apr 06, 2016

a little confusing, but as dark as I was expecting "carl from the walking dead" to be.

• Jan 05, 2016

This supernatural horror has an interesting story but lacks the right elements to bring it on screen.

• Jan 05, 2016

Thoroughly thrilling story that not for its poor execution could have been a great horror film. The biggest failure however goes back to the underwhelming horror technique that are just too slow to frighten.

• Dec 29, 2015

this was just kinda weird. It started off okay, seemed like it was going to be interesting but by the halfway point I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't all that scary either