Merlin and the Book of Beasts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Merlin and the Book of Beasts Reviews

May 12, 2016
2016-05-12 Arkadian is Mordred Pendragon (illegitimate son of King Arthur and witch Morgan LeFay, who made herself look like Lady Guinevere to trick him into sleeping with her). And he wants to sleep with his half-sister Avlynn, ugh :( The guy who plays Merlin is awful, not even a good grumpy old man.
½ August 2, 2015
Dark, wild, and furiously entertaining, with just enough quirk and humor to make it charming and quotable,this movie shows that the Syfy has potential to make more then B-movie blockbusters.
Though the second act is a bit slow and the ending bittersweet ( particularly given the likeableity of this portrayal of Merlin ) as TV movies go ( particularly Syfy movies) this one packs enough humor, action, darkness and epicness to make this beastly book worth opening.
June 20, 2014
A Terrible TV Movie, Which Has A Bad Plot, Terrible Acting And An Extremely Terrible Script. The Film Follows King Arthur's Daughter As She Leads A Band Of Men Against Arkadian (An Evil Sorcerer). Arkadian Has The Book Of Beasts And He's About To Unleash It's Power Over Camelot. Merlin Is Brought In To Do Battle. The Film May Sound Appealing To Fantasy Fans, But This Must Be Avoided, It's Not The Worst Film I've Seen, & This Is Watchable Compared To Some Others, But That Being Said It's Still One That I'd Recommend Avoiding.
March 24, 2013
This is SO bad it's not even "kitch". The thing that seals the deal is the atrocious acting. who's worse Mordred, the knights or Merlin in this joke? I think Merlin wins for the worse acting ever!!! The others follow close behind. Who ever cast this film should render their salary back to the crew, because they did the best job I'm sure. Costume and Production design is pretty good. Oh!! The horses were great!! Really Sad. I mean the actor who plays Merlin has played in some pretty good shows and probably did well, I guess his terrible acting in THIS inferior piece of work could be blamed on the Director and Producers. I must add that I rarely write such bad reviews of film/TV because I feel everything is a work of labor & few people can pull off anything, but this is ridiculous, everything about this production is pathetic, not campy, but truly lame. I want to know WHO were the people making this?
June 2, 2012
it a nice move i want to see it
½ January 31, 2012
although laura Harris does a wonderful job, she is overshadowed by a terrible Merlin. James Callis could not decide which accent he was using throughout. It sounded like a mix of Jamaican, barbarian, french, and almost no British. Do not bother watching this movie...
½ January 15, 2012
A good movie if you like mythology type of movies like clash of the titans, krull, etc.
June 30, 2011
I thought for some reason this was going to be a horror movie, turns out Morgana who tricked King Arthur & had a son by him Named Morgan (?) aka The Arcadian has taken over the Pendragon castle as if he's the rightful heir. Avalynn is now one of the Knights of the round table as well as being protected by what's left of them being she is King Arthur's daughter. (& Rightful heir) The arcaidian is using the book of beasts That Merlin Created to try to get his sister & create a true pendragon. He also plans to capture Merlin in the book. So we've got an adventure tho' not really thrilling. This looks like cheese that would be on Syfy channel. Parts are reminisce of Monty Python (There's one part I could't help but think of the Limbless knight ROTF) if not made for Syfy channel then this is someother kind of made for tv crap. Its seems to be part spoof, nothing really original other than instead of Morgana actually bing in it its her basterd son. Etc D
June 15, 2011
The worst movie I ever watched. James Callis recorded his worst performance ever. He sounded like some wizard who was constipated. You could barely understand what he was saying half the time. These people tood a great story and trashed it. Don't bother wasting your time or money. It's 2 hours I'll never get back.
½ April 22, 2011
Terrible. Rubbish story, awful acting. As if ive just spent 90 minutes watching this heap of shite.
February 2, 2011
Now this, this is a movie more to my liking (high hopes). In fair continuity with the stories of the aruthorian myths, the nights of the round table are needed once more, for a new threat overcomes Camelot. Only now Camelot almost in ruin and all but Merlin are next generation guys. Kinda good angle to see, as so do I feel as the generation befor, a life time away from when this fantasy relm enchanted me as no other rewritten many times. Hammie enough for the seriousness is aplenty and with villainous evil in a strong position, the group must gather and re-gather to dis-spell all opposition upon their quest.
½ December 25, 2010
awful absolutely awful...but i couldnt stop watching it...and what the hell was up with the jamcian accent merlin??
August 3, 2010
There are some nice effects and good fighting scenes, but I did however feel that it was more suited for a series episode (a long one), but it wasn't all movie material for my sake.

Allright acting, allright history, nice scenery and clothes, very realistic, but it just wasn't enough, it needed something...
½ July 6, 2010
Horrible dialogue, bad acting, and a laughable plot make this film so bad that it almost rebounds back into good......almost.
½ March 7, 2010
The storyline overall was intresting, but the movie as a whole was not that great.
½ February 22, 2010
surprisingly, i liked to plot and how this movie picks up after the age of camelot. sadly, the CG work and acting wasn't so good. i hated gauis baltar's accent the most. :P
February 14, 2010
appalling! daisy o dare was the only reason I kept watching. also really loved the fact merlin has a welsh accent because someone went on wikipedia, but to give him a modern valleys wide boy accent and phrasing is hilarious. the effects were pretty ok too.
February 6, 2010
Not the *best* Merlin movie I've seen, but I've also seen worse. This movie has an interesting portrayal of Merlin, he's a little bit on the crazy side. However, for the most part the movie was lackluster and inconsistent in minor details.
February 5, 2010
I like the Merlin actor in this but the whole plot was meh...
½ December 23, 2009
I couldn't stand how the guy that played Merlin talked.