Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders Reviews

• Jun 24, 2015

Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders is a movie of majestic tackiness. Bringing us two films in one, the latter even worse than the former, the picture follows a non-believer goofing up Wizard spells, before slowly closing on a murderous stuffed monkey with the ability to blow things up at the clap of a cymbal. Characters speak in a constant tone of confusion, as bewildered by their lines as we are, creepy Merlin caresses folk in the street, and the second story is longer than the ol' Sorcerer's dusty beard. Merlin states, "You play with magic, you're gonna get old. And fast.", and quite frankly watching this movie has a very similar effect. Perhaps that's its true magic?

• Oct 18, 2013

A dull and unfunny horror movie aimed towards kiddies but a bit to mature and boring for the target age group. The acting isn't as bad as some of these low budget films but Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders is nonetheless just as bad.

• Jul 21, 2013

It reminds of my infancy, even though it's definitely not a movie for children, I think the good stories the movie tells were the beginning of my "career" as a horror fan hehe.

• Apr 17, 2013

What the hell kind of crappy movie is this?

What the hell kind of crappy movie is this?

• Jan 22, 2013

Hilariously bad! While I saw it on MST3K, I wouldn't mind owning this without the Satellite of Love's commentary.

• Sep 15, 2012

Whoever's idea it was to create a quasi-family film using old pieces of failed horror movies was most likely a lunatic. Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders is one of the most bizarre films, as far as tone goes, that you're ever likely to see. One minute grandpa (Ernest Borgnine) is telling this young boy a story about Merlin's magical shop and then the next it turns into a couple of horror stories that are way more adult-oriented. It's a bit nutty to be sure. The latter film was actually another film by the same director called The Devil's Gift, re-edited to fit the story with Merlin. The film was famously featured on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, with a lot of great laughs to go along with it. The problem is thought, you just can't hate on this movie. You can only scratch your head at it and wonder why it was made in the first place.

• Sep 01, 2012

A grandfather desperately tries to give his grandson nightmares with two dark stories guaranteed to scare young children and bore adults. The second half features a suspiciously similar toy from a Steven King story.

• May 29, 2012

Watch the MST 3K version! "If you don't believe in magic.... I'll kill you"

Watch the MST 3K version! "If you don't believe in magic.... I'll kill you"

• Jan 28, 2012

I saw this on MST3K. I can't believe it's on here. Watch the MST3K version for some laughs

• Oct 24, 2011

Awful film that doesn't know what its audience wants, goofy animal killings be damned. Thank goodness MST3K got me through this trainwreck. Also, the synopsis and photo for this entry are inaccurate.