Meskada - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meskada Reviews

August 17, 2015
Great movie. I watched it because I'm a huge fan of Stahl and Tucker. Sucks that Tucker received 4th billing after a 'Twilight' actor. Tucker, with his list of acting credentials, definitely deserved 3rd billing. At least.
½ January 8, 2014
Um... okay, movie with no point and no resolve.
December 20, 2013
An indie cop drama with nice performances by the B-list cast of actors. The pacing is a bit slow, and there isn't much suspense as you see who perpetrated the murder from the beginning. The tension comes in from the lead investigator returning to the "other side of the tracks" where he grew up in order to find the killer. Likable enough.
January 28, 2013
Monday, January 14, 2013

(2008) Meskada

Straight to rental and as the film called "Meskada"- it's really a name of a town where a particular sheriff works at, his name is Noah Cordin (Nick Stahl) whose been assigned to investigate a murder/ death of an eight year old infant. It is soon found out that the perpetrators lived in Hilliard and that it was only an accident since it was only supposed to be a robbery where they assumed no one was inside. Hilliard also happends to be the town where Noah the sheriff grew up in. Much of the town's residents eventually reject his presence and the negative reputation that evolved within the community since their was supposed to be some employment attraction and the result of this death kind of prevented it from happening.

All I can say is that the police not caring about how that last person was killed was totally stupid and a total contradiction about how the police really operates. It also has some similarites with "Mystic River". Written and directed by Josh Sternfeld.

2 out of 4
October 27, 2012
I watched this movie because of the cast only to be extremely disappointed! The plot was crap the dialogue was worse! And the ending was disappointing!
June 2, 2012
An slow-moving indie drama that starts off as a typical small-town crime story but quickly becomes more complex. I liked the deliberate pace of the movie, and how the director lets the story unfold without gimmicks or over the top drama. The narrative is uneven at times as it's complex enough for an inexperience director to pull off, but he manages to keep it on track, and while the acting is uneven as well, especially from unknown supporting cast, it doesn't stop it from being an engaging movie.
½ May 9, 2012
Meskada - CATCH IT (B-)
Meskada is a complex story of young boy's murder during a burglary in a peaceful town Hilliard. The town' police investigator thinks that men coming out for work from nearby town Casewell may be involved in the burglary and accidental death of a child. His investigation about the murder leaves him trapped between people of two towns. On one side it shows the story of the police investigator and on the other side it shows the story of two young men involved in the burglary.
Meskada managed to bag impressive ensemble considering the indie criteria. As the story is complex, the movie did stumbles at the end. Instead of giving a proper ending it leaves an innocent man taking all the blame. The situation was irrational and very harsh considering the scenario. I won't spoil the ending here but the movie is defiantly worth giving time.
Jonathan Tucker, Kellan Lutz, Rachel Nichols, Nick Stahl, Grace Gummer and Norman Reedus did a nice job and given the material provided came onscreen very natural.
May 5, 2012
It was pretty good, but I agree with some of the "official" film critics in that it felt incomplete. Following some of the critical action near the end of the film, I found myself wanting to know more about some of the ancillary characters and events that are never fully depicted or even introduced, but that seem to lend a great deal to the plot and to the central murder mystery. I loved the socio-political aspects of the film, however--a side plot of a young boy needing surgery to heal a chronic illness illustrates why the U.S. so desperately needs universal healthcare, if only its rural residents would stop voting for Republicans, for the love of Hashem. OK, not to get too political, but another flaw I saw in the script was the introduction of too many layers in an effort to enhance the complexity of the murder mystery. Again, not enough substance to fully flesh out these layers before the film ended, and I found myself wanting to see and learn more. Could've been longer than the 98 minutes to accomplish this, but overall, a well-acted and -directed movie, and a worthy effort.
½ April 15, 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this indie crime drama.
½ February 13, 2012
Writer/Director Sternfeld makes an amateur, hapless film from his amateur, hapless screenplay.
February 10, 2012
Horrible don't waste your time!
January 6, 2012
Once again, Kellan Lutz is gorgeous as always, but the movie fails to deliver. I like Nick Stahl not playing a pot smoking dumbass but the movie just didn't go anywhere. The end disappointed me as well.
November 22, 2011
This movie is a bit slow and the ending is very dissatisfying.
August 25, 2011
Meskada is another direct-to-video feature I knew nothing about ahead of time. I choose it because the story sounded interesting and I love the cast. In these cases, the film is usually hit or miss, with no in-between. In the case of Meskada, it's definitely a hit! The story follows a local detective, investigating the death of a child, during a home invasion. What makes Meskada different from the rest is that 15 minutes into the film, you know who did it and why, it's not a mystery. Nick Stahl who I usually don't like and Jonathan Tucker who I've always liked are both fantastic in this film. It's roles that neither is really used to playing and both stepped up to the challenge. The story wasn't all that strong, but the acting was, and what I really liked about this film is how it came at a common story in an unconventional way. It's defiantly worth checking out!
August 12, 2011
Small town murder, small town investigation leads to a big time class struggle. I had to get used to Nick Stahl not playing a total creep or bad guy, but it was decent overall.
May 19, 2011
At first I didn't like that Nick Stahl is the lead and the detective, but he got better and better. I don't get why this film has such low grade on imdb, it's not at all bad. Give it a chance, might surprise you. Good portrayal of small town and it's residents. I loved that they succeed to show the despair and exhaust of the main character.
½ April 11, 2011
Such a let down. I had hoped that this movie would be good. I was looking for a nice crime drama that maybe would give me an awesome twist at the end. That unfortunately was not what I got. Though I like many of the cast members as actors (except for Rachel Nichols), within this film none of the characters really impressed me. They all seemed rather inconsistent and unmotivated. There was absolutely no "thrill" to this movie, no twist, no surprises. It was just rather straight forward. It turned into one of those movies where the crime causes political (unrelated) drama, which becomes the main focus instead of the crime itself. I didnt like that. Overall, I'm glad it was short because I couldnt have spent much longer watching this.

What did this movie teach me? When the very first scene tells us who the bad guys are, you are almost certainly doomed to be a bad movie.
½ March 25, 2011
**1/2 (out of four)

Nick Stahl does a pretty decent job, as does Jonathan Tucker and Kellan Lutz, but the overall film feels a little unfinsihed. Unresolving things can work for certain types of films, but when it pertains to mysteries, I like things to be more wrapped up.

Stahl plays a detective in Meskada County. He has been given the intimidating task of investigating a bunch of roughnecks to see if any of them are involved in a brutal murder.
March 24, 2011
The movie is about the brutal murder of a young boy in a peaceful town and the small town detective that struggles to solve it. I'll tell the twilight fans here... Kellan Lutz is not in it enough. The small town is suffering from economic troubles so Eddie (Lutz) & Shane (Jon) break in & rob from a home a couple towns over so they ca help their families. The movie was a decent story tho being so tired I did fall asleep watching. It wasn' bad but wasn't good or great. It was pretty average as I really can't remember much from it. C
December 3, 2010
Nice little gem of a film... good portrayal of small-town politics which culminates into a good old-fashioned class struggle. Nick Stahl's gloomy face was well-chosen and Norman Reedus manages to balance just enough sleaze and humanity to make you wonder if there really are any "bad guys" in this story. Laura Benanti was a surprising powerhouse as the grieving, enraged mother. Yup, she made me cry. Worth seeing, more than once.