The Mesmerist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mesmerist Reviews

September 11, 2014
Fast-witted, but slowly paced. Good acting, weird story and hilarious dialogue save this from becoming too dull, and takes your mind off of the ass-blisteringly slow pacing.
½ August 21, 2014
74%

"How dare you not know who I am!"-Dr Pretory (Jason Carter)

The whole cast hams it up, while Carter steals the show.

"Then be a good American, and together we will exploit your personal tragedy."-Dr Pretory
March 1, 2014
Dumb as heck, but it's kind of fun. Really, there isn't much to the plot, half the time it feels like the characters are just yelling at each other. Not to mention that cast. It doesn't get too laughable, and the ending leaves little behind, but it's not too hard to sit through.
April 7, 2012
Just AWFUL. I usually love any movie with NPH, but this was horrible. If I had to go back in time, I would have stopped myself from paying the 50 cents I did to buy it.
March 6, 2011
Crazy and weird. I was disappointed to call the ending of this one. I was really hoping that the end would give this movie something so it wasn't a complete waste.
½ October 15, 2010
What a ridiculous movie... but I enjoyed it! The comedy was good, as was the plot of the movie. And Neil Patrick Harris was great as always :D. Would recommend to anyone who is in the mood for an easy-viewing, light comedy and laughs :)
April 1, 2010
February 21, 2009
Still on my Neil Patrick Harris Binge. I thought it was okay, I did find it funny in some parts which helped me get through the film.
September 1, 2008
Funny flick.Not sure it would have been AS funny if it were not for NPH,but glad he was in it.
April 28, 2008
Probally the worst movie ever.
½ March 29, 2008
This film looks like it came out in 1982 rather than 2002. This is definitely the 80s version of "dark comedy" like Clue or something else equally silly. The acting is sub-par and the dialog is poor. It's pretty much awful, but it's based on an Edgar Allen Poe work so it does have some merit. If you're a fan of shitty low-budget 80s dark comedies you may enjoy this.
March 15, 2008
With this movie it feels more like you're watching a play rather than a movie. I adored the exaggerated characters. Some terrific dark humor, as well!
½ March 11, 2008
i only watch it, b/c neil patrick harris was in it. This movie was really weird
½ March 9, 2008
absolutely terrible slapstick that was written for a five-year old
½ December 20, 2007
A B movie that tries to be a comedy but unfortunately fails. Starring Sean Patrick Harris and my main man Jason Carter, it's about a couple that go to meet the woman's dying father and make sure he goes in peace. But a "mesmerist" tries to ease his pain and find out the truth about death and the afterlife. Based on an Edgar Allen Poe story, it's not a very good movie. But I had to watch it because Jason Carter's in it, and I just know that during the brief scene where he's drunk that he did a little method acting. Anyway, a couple laughs that worked throughout the film and the doctor was good, but overall, better skip this one.
December 15, 2007
I'm not sure what happened with this movie. It started out fairly funny, seeming kind of spoofish, but then I think the movie started to take itself too seriously and lost the humor it had at the beginning. It definitely dies after the first twenty minutes.
½ August 17, 2007
A knowing, darkly humorous film. Well written and executed to perfection, it's an incredibly simple premise but everyone really has fun with it which adds to the enjoyment of the film.
adarkkitten
½ December 8, 2006
This film is most theatrical. It feels more like you're watching a play rather than a movie. I adored the exaggerated characters. Some terrific dark humor, as well!