The Message - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Message Reviews

September 12, 2012
This is the only legitimate bio pic of the prophet , which for its conscientiousness to the religion is a good film to watch, because the director's heart was on his sleeve when making this film, you can tell for better and for worse as the editing is a bit on long side. is it a good film, its OK but what makes it good again is the amount of heart towards the subject matter and the depiction of Muhammad.
August 21, 2012
All this time I missed the chance to watch this ... Excellent. Allahuakbar. :-)
August 4, 2012
A good movie which tells the history of our beloved prophet (peace be upon him) well but could have benefited from a bigger budget.
½ July 24, 2012
An epic 76' film 'bout battle of uhud....
½ April 16, 2012
First of all, this movie was done at a time where there was no phobia against Islam, so credibility is good for it.

I am Armenian but Lived in a country were the majority were Muslims, then I grow up in a country like Denmark where the majority were Athesits, so I had the chance few had of living with different cultures and beliefs, this story about Islam is a mirror of how the real muslims are, they aren't bad people, they are naturally kind and mostly victims, if a few of them like 5% of them (50 or 60 Mil) from the 1.5 Bil Muslim in the world have some radical ideas we can't judge them all. This movie is true to the history and beginings of Islam that I grow up hearing from my friends when I was a child.

Very good movie. I will let me 2 daughters see it in a few years.
Arabic version is even better

Tara Hamdi
½ January 21, 2012
Really good film.took awhile to get used of Muhammed in the first person (Idoltry of Muhammed is strictly prohibited).Anthony Quinn gives his best performance since Zorba the Greek.
January 11, 2012
Watched it for Islam in Film and Museum class. One of the best classic movies ever. Enjoyed every minute of it. Truly showed how the birth of Islam came to be.
December 13, 2011
The best Islamic movie ever
November 27, 2011
Masterpiece! Brings tears of joy to my eyes.
½ October 18, 2011
Excellent movie chronicling the beginnings of Islam from the time when the prophet Mohamed first receives the message.

Arabic version is more accurate but the English version was made to be more accessible to a Western audience.

Well a worth a look for anyone interested in learning more about the history of one of the world's great religions.
September 11, 2011
Just showed this movie to my classes ... I've watched The Message countless times ... it never gets old, never gets boring. It also most brilliantly condenses 23 years of the life of the Messenger into just under 3 hours. The historical inaccuracies engendered by this condensing are far, far outweighed by the holistic reflection of the origins of Islam that it achieves.

It's amazing that filmographies of the great actor Anthony Quinn often ignore this, arguably his masterpiece. Among great movies and Hollywood productions this is perhaps the most ignored gem of all.

Buy it, watch it, show it to your friends; The Message is without doubt one of the best movies of the 20th century.
½ June 12, 2011
Over-simplified version of historic events.. Just too many gaps in the concept..
March 26, 2011
This is a crafty work on a religious film, wonderfully directed by Moustapha Akkad, and praise-worthy performance from entire cast, especially Anthony Quinn. I truly respect Anthony Quinn for portraying role of Uncle of Holy Prophet PBUH.

A Must watch film for non-Muslims, to understand Islam's real message, especially in todays era, when the portrayal of Islam, is so negatively depicted in the West. Islam is, what is purely depicted in shape of this film.

This film shows perfect art-direction, and the music score of the film by Maurice Jarre, is pure piece of meditation, which was nominated for Academy Award for Best Original-Music-Score.
½ February 28, 2011
a must must must watch
February 26, 2011
One of the best classical movies you are ever going to watch.
February 11, 2011
One movie I would recommend strongly for people seeking to understand the origins of Islam and its philosophy, and how it was founded. Much needed in the current Islamophobia times we live in.
September 19, 2010
Watch it closely even minor details are based on facts straight from the books.
½ September 15, 2010
cinematography, filmed in Morocco and Libya, is beautiful. Costumes are
cool, and there's a few scenes with a set of ancient bagpipes for you
Celtic history buffs. superb movie. epic. the fact that this is the
only substantial film about Mohammed and Islam makes Akkad's film
worthwhile viewing. must watch. love it.... This is the true story for Porphet Muhamed. One of the most important stories that all people must see it. This is the truth of isalm. Thanks to the director Moustapha Akkad and God bless his soul. (note the arabic version was better than the english one)
½ September 15, 2010