Messenger of Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Messenger of Death Reviews

March 4, 2016
Messenger of Death is an underrated Charles Bronson flick, that isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Although this isn't exactly one of his best works, but it has everything you'd expect from a Bronson action thriller, it's not perfect but has a number of good sequences that makes viewing this film worthwhile.
The film boasts a decent plot and script with Bronson delivers a great performance. Director J. Lee Thompson (Cape Fear), directs with a certain flair as well as an intensity suited for Bronson Movies. Although it has potential to be so much better than it is, Messenger of Death is an action thriller, that has an intensity which can only be delivered by Bronson. An enjoyable flick, that's worth a look.
April 15, 2015
One of the funnier Bronson later films but too bad it's not intended to be a comedy.
February 13, 2015
Not the best Bronson movie, but I really liked it. Interesting, although a bit hard to buy into, story. Actor performances carry the movie.
½ October 15, 2014
Even though the movie opens with the slaughter of about a dozen innocent women and children, "Messenger of Death" is something of a departure for star Charles Bronson in a couple of different ways. First off, it begs to be taken seriously by dealing with Mormons and their beliefs, even though as the film goes on that angle proves to be a red herring into the investigation.

Secondly, Bronson plays a reporter and oddly enough doesn't kill anyone in the picture, although after about an hour of this dull and talky mess you may secretly be hoping for the actor's return to form. For all of its characters and plot developments, the motivation behind the crimes is disappointingly simple dealing with greed and land rights. All the good the movie does in trying to establish as something different is undone thanks to a weak script and casting of the supporting characters. Even the star looks bored through most of this.

J. Lee Thompson has made some of his better efforts throughout this decade, but this is not one of them. The filmmaker took ill halfway into the filming of this and was hastily replaced by the second unit director, and that shows. What little action is present consists of a couple of lame car chases and one of the worst shoot-outs in recent memory. It looks like it was choreographed by a blind guy. In fact, the entire film has the look and feel of a television project, especially when it comes to the lazy score.

"Messenger of Death" has a few minutes of promise that is quickly squandered as it descends into typical B-movie cliches and familiarity.
½ November 23, 2013
What do you care if two crazies kill themselves?

The wife and children of a Mormon is massacred in their home. The Mormon returns home and while clearly destroyed emotionally, he wants god to handle the killers and will not help with the investigation. A reporter finds this story interesting and comes in to try and find the people responsible. As he digs further into the act, he discovers the governor up for election may have something to do with the massacre.

"You are not welcome here."
"I've noticed."

J. Lee Thompson, director of Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects, Death Wish 4, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, The White Buffalo, Cape Fear (1962), and Return from the Ashes, delivers Messenger of Death. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward and predictable. The action scenes are average and the characters are really nothing special. The cast delivers mediocre performances and include Charles Bronson, John Ireland, Jon Cedar, and Trish Van Devere.

"I have a feeling I'll be exploiting you further."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred Charles Bronson; his movies are generally bad, but I watch them anyway. Sometimes Charles Bronson films surprise you, but this wasn't one of them. This was a cliché 80s action picture with mediocre acting, mediocre action scenes, and a mediocre plot. I recommend skipping this picture.

"You're going to name the son of a bitch or I'm going to beat you to death."

Grade: D
½ October 10, 2013
I own this on DVD in a five movie pack along with:
* The Mechanic (1972)
* Mr Majestyk (1974)
* 10 To Midnight (1983)
* Murphy's Law (1986)
½ May 29, 2013
Solid actioner with Bronson playing newspaper reporter out to find out the truth about a murder of a pseudo religous cult leader that murdered and continues to murder. Good action and great old time actors (John McIntrye,Jeff Corey) bring to story to good heights.
November 21, 2012
Messenger of Death is an underrated Charles Bronson flick that is not as bad as what everyone says. I agree that it's not one of his best works, but this is a\ film that nonetheless has everything you'd expect from a Bronson action thriller. This film should appeal to the diehard Bronson fans only, and it definitely isn't a perfect action thriller, but it has enough good elements on-screen to make it a worthwhile viewing. Directed with flair by Cape Fear director J. Lee Thompson, Messenger of Death is fun for what it is. Bronson has done better, but this film has enough effective thrilling elements to appeal to Bronson fans. The film however had so much more potential in being a great, memorable experience, and as it stands, it's an entertaining ride that does deliver some good thrills, but in some areas the film does lack in a truly original plot, but luckily the film is never dull. The film had potential of being so much more, but it manages to still be an intense ride than only a Charles Bronson action flick can deliver. This isn't his greatest work, but it still manages to deliver the usual treats that we'd expect from this classic tough guy. A film that no Bronson fan should pass up on, and is really a film that will certainly appeal more to his die hard followers than common movie fans. This is an imperfect film, but it still a worthwhile action thriller to watch to kill some time. The cast starring alongside Bronson are good in their parts, and they all have something to offer. However Bronson makes the film work, even with its somewhat lacking, original material and he proves that he doesn't need a gun to kick ass.
October 27, 2012
Bronson plays a writer to tracks the murder of a Mormon family to a water company looking to buy land rights from relatives. Still solid effort from Golan-Globus production team as they moved beyond their peak.
½ May 1, 2012
Dreadfully dull not even the usually great Charlie Bronson can save this crap.
½ March 16, 2012
Some awesomely cheesy moments here but overall I actually liked it quite a bit. I would classify it as a Mormon Caper.
January 30, 2012
Wow, A Charles Bronson movie where Bronson doesn't kill anybody and never even fires a shot. What were they thinking. Anyway, Messenger Of Death is ok in places, and the scene with the gas trucks is pretty impressive in the driving department, but other then that I just kept on waiting for Bronson to be more.... well, Bronsonish, but it just never happened, so I was a little disappointed.
November 6, 2011
I have this in a pack with:
* The Mechanic (1972)
* Mr Majestyk
* 10 To Midnight
* Murphy's Law (1986)
September 28, 2011
I don't think Bronson had a bad movie.4 stars
½ November 26, 2010
If you go into this expecting 'Death Wish IV: The Crackdown' or any of Bronson's more over-the-top 80s output, I can see how you'd be disappointed. However, if you just let go of any preconceptions of what this should be and want to enjoy an above-average thriller, then you'll probably like it much more. This isn't a shoot-'em-up or revenge flick (in the usual sense, anyway) in the traditional sense, but Bronson running around with pad and pencil trying to get answers. He doesn't blow up bad guys with rocket launchers, kill punks in break-dancing gear with big game hunting guns, or eat cabbage soup with old people; he travels around Colorado trying to get answers from Mormons and uncover big, bad corporate conspiracy. Almost reminded me of 'In Cold Blooid,' just keep that in mind.
October 10, 2010
Kersey once again finds himself shit outta luck when.. erm, apologies. Wrong movie. Bronson phones it in and this movie did nothing for me at all.
May 8, 2010
In true 80's Charles Bronson action movie fashion, there contains those same by-the-books guidelines that you see in all of them: Bronson's slick overcoming of obstacles with ease, overly one-dimensional villains, and an onslaught of unnecessary violence...not that I'm complaining of course. In Messenger of Death, our third rule kicks in immediately, when two shadowy figures come across a Mormon polygamist's farm and blow away all the wives and children with shotguns. The massacre is big news, needless to say, and has Chicago police working the case, believing the problem to stem from a long standing feud between the Beecham brothers, three clans of Mormom separatists. Soon enough, reporter Bronson starts his own investigation, which leads to more than just a family feud of course, and digging further to a villain that's now the world's greatest threat these days: wealthy, white-collar, anglo-saxon criminals! Lots of killing and hilarious 80's action ensues in this by-the-numbers Bronson film. If you've seen one 80's Bronson movie, you've seen them all honestly. I will admit the Mormon angle was a bit interesting, but like all other religions, they're just kooky. Bronson never branched out of his comfort zone and was content with delivering meat and potatoes style films throughout the rest of his career. Not bad; it certainly worked, as I've grown quite a fondness for Bronson. Something about such an unusual figure becoming an action icon, without knowing any sort of martial arts nor previously being a wrestler, just plain, old fashioned average joe action star.
April 25, 2010
Bronson's reporter acumen on full display as he seems much more interested in investigating a family massacre than the police. A late entry of the Golan-Globus/Cannon films and one of Bronson's better later films.
½ February 18, 2010
Charles Bronson does it again. This movie flows really well, it is more of a mystery than an action movie. He actually gets to act and there is a long story. As usual the case is great, I think he must have requested to work with good people or they wanted to work with him. Really solid, not his best but solid.

"You trust me or you don't."