Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster Reviews

December 3, 2015
As a huge movie fan and heavy metal fan I could not wait to see this movie about Metallica. At this point in their decorated career the band has been past their prime for quite some time now. Still attracting huge audiences at live shows there will always be die hard Metallica fans because of their epic work in the mid and late 80s in the heavy metal scene. Regardless if they are past their prime or not, they are still one of the biggest bands in the world that are talented musicians. This movie gives you a really personal look at how a huge band puts together a record for the masses. But it is more than just a documentary about a heavy metal album, its a really intimate look at the band. The trouble within the band has been well documented over and over in the media, but you never really got a true behind the scenes look at what was going on. What we see for the most part is huge egos mixed with artistic integrity and a desire to stay on top forever. Listen, Metallica has made enough money to last them 900 lifetimes over again, so this isn't about a down and out band that is broke and needs to make a record to earn a living. This is about a band that is struggling to adapt to a younger audience while keeping their loyal fans by staying truly heavy in the process. I found it to be really fascinating to watch how these guys work together without strangling one another. There is so much tension in this movie between band mates that they actually have to have a therapist come in and do sessions with the band !! One has to wonder if it is even worth the aggravation to continue to do this ? Its a very interesting look at one of the biggest bands in the world. The funny part about it is that this movie is way better than the album they recorded during the filming, which was possibly their worst album to date.
November 25, 2015
½ November 25, 2015
A painful documentary. I'm amazed they allowed it to be released, should come with a free copy of Spinal Tap.
½ September 2, 2015
Like hearing grown men bitch a lot? This is most certainly the movie for you...
August 5, 2015
Bummer! Metallica has such an interesting story, fantastic music and epic situations. Every time this movie touched on those, it quickly flashed back to a rock band sitting around with a therapist and working on their worst album yet. I want the rise fall of Metallica the fire with James, napster with Lars, car crash with cliff. Instead, this documentary give you 5 seconds of their glorious history mixed into a boring therapy session. Maybe I had the wrong expectations, but the trailers lead me that way and I was greatly let down.
July 29, 2015
As a fan,I love this movie and as a movie lover I really love this movie.
June 10, 2015
These cameramen get up close and personal with the members of Metallica, showing times of great struggle, internally and externally, as well as fixing problems, and rebuilding after tough times. Plus, the angry feeling, and tension between James and Lars, gives the documentary steam throughout its entirety. Lastly, there's also a lot of great music to headbang to when scenes transition, or when the band is just jamming together. Any die hard fan of Metallica, like myself, will love "Some Kind of Monster."
February 24, 2015
Hard talk hard issues and stuff that needed to get out of the system
February 18, 2015
If you find massive enjoyment from watching a bunch of rich, egotistical, assholes who call themselves genius and complain about each other to a therapist while they write incredibly shitty music for over two hours, then your in luck, because this documentary is all of that. Ill give it credit, the filmmakers do a good job putting this film together, but fuck this was so cringe worthy at times.
½ January 4, 2015
Good documentary that taps the character of the members. Unfortunately, the film seems like the marathon the members must have felt making the album. Good clips of jams & creating the music. Also seemed like all characters were annoying at some point of the film (well, maybe not Kirk)... but whiny/eye-rolling Lars, power/controlling James, and Bob Rock/performance coach Phil both trying to keep their tie with the greatness of Metallica (always seemed nervous of being cast aside). Overall, decent drama, decent music, happy ending... but too long.
December 27, 2014
Your don't have to be a fan of Metallica to appreciate this warts and all documentary, in fact it may make your appreciated them more... Includes fights, slamming doors, raging egos, rehabilitation and judges a smidgen of Spinal Tap, I'm surprised this everything saw the light of day!
October 28, 2014
I know not everyone's a fan of Metallica but most people might be able to at least appreciate this amazing documentary. Set during the band's most turbulent time it really shows who the members were as people and how the rought times affected them. Not only does this documentary intrigue me to no end but it's also incredibly compelling and makes me feel for these guys. Plus, I love Metallica, I think their music if (for the most part) phenomenal.
July 24, 2014
The greatest documentary about a band overcoming both internal and external adversity, "Some Kind of Monster" demands to be seen, even by non-advocates of Metallica. It is a testament on pressure and how our true colors show during it.
July 12, 2014
Amazing documentary. Really teaches you and reaches you emotionally.
June 6, 2014
One of the most gripping and revealing rock documentaries ever.
May 13, 2014
Engaging look at the band in one of their darkest periods since the death of Cliff Burton.
March 5, 2014
Great if you're into two guys bitchin' and whinin'.
February 27, 2014
insightful and dramatic, this movie gives a great behind the scenes of a troubling time for metallica, recommend to metallica die hard fans and music fans alike
½ January 26, 2014
About a world famous metal band that is forced, by no fault of their own, to grow up.
½ November 12, 2013
I like how this documentary doesn't just glorify Metallica. Rather we get a revealing look at this group of highly creative yet highly insecure musicians