The Meteor Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Meteor Man Reviews

½ September 3, 2016
Robert Townsend directed and starred in this dark comedy about a schoolteacher who possesses superpowers after being struck by a meteor.
August 19, 2016
Schoolteacher Robert Townsend is hit by a meteor and soon develops super powers which he uses to fight neighborhood crime. This humorous comedy starts off promising but soon drifts off into the predictable.
½ August 1, 2016
Cheesy, but love this movie.
December 1, 2014
This is the worst superhero movie I ever seen! The Meteor Man? More like THE SHIT MAN!!! Terrifically Entertaining? More like Terrible Shit Unentertaining!
½ November 7, 2014
I love this movie, use to watch all the time when i was younger.
½ September 9, 2014
77%

A ghetto tale for the kiddies, only not.
½ June 27, 2014
If this had been more in line with I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!, it could've been better. Instead, it's not edgy enough, but is passable.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 15, 2014
The Meteor Man is a decent action comedy that is quite entertaining, but leaves plenty to be desired in the long run. The film has a good idea going for it, but it also falls short of what it could have been. For what it is, it's an entertaining affair, but it's a film that isn't worth multiple viewings. Although it's a film that has moments of exciting entertainment value, The Meteor Man is one of those movies that really had the potential being much better as well. Those expecting something great will be disappointed, as The Meteor Man satisfies only to a certain degree. For a low budget film, it works, and the result is decent, but it really should have been more. The blend of action and comedy makes this worth seeing if you have nothing else better to do, but as a superhero film, it just doesn't hold up, and it is a forgettable affair in the long run. This film should have been reworked, but is it an awful movie, it's not, but there are times where it feels a little too empty at the same in terms of good storytelling, and that's why the film simply doesn't stand out, and it doesn't warrant multiple viewings. For B movie fans, however who love these types of movies, there is enough to enjoy, but to others, there just isn't enough substance on-screen to really make a stunning, highly engaging and ultimately memorable film experience worth experiencing again and again. If you come across it, and you have nothing else better to watch, The Meteor Man is one of those films that you watch. At times there some entertaining moments, but others there seems to be a lacking structure, which brings the film down, and you realize that it just isn't as good as it could have been. This is a decent film that leaves a lot to be desired.
June 15, 2014
I love this movie it had great action and it shows a postive parts about keeping our neighborhoods safe from crime wish we had a superhero unreal life to clean up these streets
½ March 3, 2014
Robert Townsend wrote, directed, produced, and starred in this comic book superhero movie about a created superhero who is hit by a meteor and gains powers and then tries to clean up the neighborhood. This has a ton of talent from Townsend to James Earl Jones, Eddie Griffith, Bill Cosby, and Don Cheadle. You would expect this to at least be decent, but it was marred by a number of problems. The script isn't that interesting, the direction is not great, and the acting is pretty pedestrian. This never equals the sum of its parts. Then it tries to have a positive message which feels a bit like a 'The-More-You-Know' commercial which just felt overly preachy. Shame such talent was wasted on this film.
February 20, 2014
Good family film. Pays homage to old school super hero aesthetic.
½ June 26, 2013
A little childish and "too good to be true" but kids should enjoy it.
June 17, 2013
I Like Comedy Films, My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup With The Marx Brothers.
April 15, 2013
loved this film as a kid and still do
½ January 22, 2013
I liked this film as a kid. Rewatching it now, the magic has worn off... But there are a lot of good ideas here. I actually agree with Ebert's review: ""The Meteor Man" could have been better if it had tried to do less, more carefully." This is a film I think worth remaking and reimagining. Robert Townsend was onto something, but a lot of corny gags and gimmicks undermine the intention. There's also a lot of bad messages here too though... Maybe Entertainment Weekly said it best too: "So what if everything after the titles is a well-meaning mess? It's hard to hate a superhero movie where one of the hero's powers is that he can talk to his dog."
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
October 26, 2012
So bad it's really really good
½ September 23, 2012
Oh, how I love Robert Towsend. Oh, how I hate this movie.
½ August 5, 2012
Although it's very cheesy, it's a movie that is fun for all the family. A great movie to watch, just dont expect an emmy performance.
½ April 25, 2012