The Meteor Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Meteor Man Reviews

March 18, 2012
it's a corny goofy movie, but it was fun to watch.
½ March 17, 2012
Robert Townsend make in The Meteor Man, maybe a entertaining motion picture, but his script, direction and acting made Meteor a rotten film.
December 11, 2011
I've loved this movie since it came out back when I was in junior high. It has a pretty impressive cast featuring some up and coming actors who have since made big names for themselves. I thought it was pretty cool to see a different kind of super hero with Meteor Man. It was funny watching him learn to fly so low to the ground due to his fear of heights. I think that Robert Townsend (who is one of my favorite comedians) does a really great job as the title character in this movie and I have been waiting patiently all these years for a sequel but I'll probably be disappointed.
October 13, 2011
This movie is a classic
June 30, 2011
By far the greatest superhero movie ever.
June 5, 2011
One of the very first superhero movies I saw as a kid. I watched it so many times over and over again. Rewatching it now really brings back a blast from the past. Mike Out.
May 22, 2011
Loved it as a kid, and it is still worth while as an adult.
½ April 18, 2011
Pretty awful from what I remember, although Tiny Lister was good.
February 25, 2011
I found this film on dvd, one of the most complete hero films ever made and one of the best, if not the very best. Featuring an ensemble cast that includes: James Earl Jones, Robert Guillaume (Benson) and Marla Gibbs (The Jeffersons), The Meteor Man contains a hero who is doing his best as a teacher (but not receiving respect from others) who is hit by a meteor and survives. He gains many powers from the meteor once he recovers and his neighbourhood takes him up as their hero, despite his reluctance, and he begins his war on crime.
December 9, 2010
Superman from the Ghetto. It's obvious what they were trying to do with this film, which is make an urban Superhero while blending comedy with action and social relevance. Hey, isn't that Shaft's job? I don't know why I watched this as many times as I did when I was small, but it may have been due to the fact that I was easily amused by bad special effects, and needed a break from the Lois & Clark TV series.
½ November 10, 2010
This is an all time surperhero classic. The Meteor Man, it has an Allstar cast...and let me say this, IT'S FILLED WIT ALOTTA SWAG...THEY DID THAT!!!
½ November 1, 2010
Good Jesus. The worst thing is that they take it all so seriously, like it's Do the Right Thing with superheroes.
civilzen
½ November 1, 2010
This bit of black empowerment made matrix history before there was a Matrix.
James Earl Jones Macin' in a high and flat, FTW!
October 26, 2010
The acting and story for this are pretty bad, but the effects are much, much worse; and although it tries to give some good laughs, while spoon feeding us some kind of message dealing with urban suffering, there really isn't much going for this film other than the who's who cast of Black actors and actresses who showed up for this.
October 20, 2010
i know its cheesy but i love this movie
October 12, 2010
Some insult the corniness, but I found Meteor Man to be funny and inspiring.
½ October 10, 2010
I liked this film as a kid. Rewatching it now, the magic has worn off... But there are a lot of good ideas here. I actually agree with Ebert's review: ""The Meteor Man" could have been better if it had tried to do less, more carefully." This is a film I think worth remaking and reimagining. Robert Townsend was onto something, but a lot of corny gags and gimmicks undermine the intention. There's also a lot of bad messages here too though... Maybe Entertainment Weekly said it best too: "So what if everything after the titles is a well-meaning mess? It's hard to hate a superhero movie where one of the hero's powers is that he can talk to his dog."
½ September 17, 2010
It works better as a light comedy than as a parody of the genre, it's really hilarious but not at all.
July 21, 2010
Another childhood favorite!
½ July 14, 2010
This movie is dumb, and it is very poorly edited, with A-List actors doing B-List jobs, but it has heart. I was surprised to see Don Cheadle, James Earl Jones, Sinbad and Eddie Griffin in this, along with Bill Cosby. Sometimes it made me laugh, but not very often, and sometimes the jokes just came off as stupid. However, there was an energy that one really can't ignore, and you could tell they tried pretty hard to make this as good a movie as they could. It was a decent effort, but they could have gotten a better writer than the main character and producer.