Metroland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Metroland Reviews

October 22, 2013
I must rent Metroland on Video and DVD. :-)
½ April 13, 2013
I liked this film that has a couple analyzing their middle class existence compared to the freedom of youth and coming up with the rather uncinematic view that "I am content." In other words, the ordinary life has a lot to be said for it.This view is a message not always looked upon with sympathy in Hollywood, not since the seventies anyway. Rather refreshing to see it again.
½ March 15, 2013
I don't know why but I obsess about this movie. It's not that good but it makes me want to go to Paris and find Christian Bale and marry him and have hundreds of babies. But I'd probably feel like that without ever seeing this movie. This movie gets two thumb up because of course I want to see Bale speak French. Très sexy!
September 29, 2012
This is one that I can safely pass on watching.
½ September 4, 2012
I watched this movie because was @ Venice film Fest in 1997 so i thought this must be a cool movie. i just found it not very original, and Emily Watson is boring. But I loved the scenes shoot on the train and the ones in the parisian attic
July 23, 2012
Another movie I would like to see.
½ June 1, 2012
Sex, Lies and then more sex and lies!! Lee Ross breathes life into the Iogian-like Toni but Christian Bale seals the deal for me. His innocence, his confusion and his intensity brings this film together. I didn't quite like the ending but I thought Emily Watson was surprisingly skillful in breaking the Cliche of a Married Middle-Class English Woman!
May 22, 2012
Strangely current, isn't it?
½ March 30, 2012
An interesting movie with an interesting view on modern western culture. Its a bit like an unfunny version of "You Me and Dupree", it has the same structure of a wild friend lifting the curtain of the suburb lifestyle
½ December 3, 2011
Interesting. Didn't read the book. Probably better book than movie?
November 14, 2011
bonzinho.. eh que adoro o Christian Bale... entao o filme vale ne....
June 12, 2011
Good film, good writing and performances by Christian Bale and Emily Watson.
½ May 14, 2011
In 1997 Metroland came out and it shows signs of Christian Bale's brilliance early on. This film takes place in the 70's in a suburban city in England that has been nicknamed Metroland. Bale is married with a kid, a house, a car, a 9-5 job, but he feels something is missing. His best friend shows up out of nowhere after five years and they instantly take off where they left off as young rebels against the norm. Now he's at a crossroads in his life and haunted by what if's.

The actors are top notch in this film and the story is wholly original and one that raises great questions that are rarely discussed openly. Many a men settle down and many a men have a hard time letting go of the wild days of their youth and sometimes this shows as a midlife crisis later on in their lives. Metroland started off a little slow for me, but engaged me deeply after in no time. I can recall many films that have used short flashback sequences and Metroland had plenty of them early on, but I can't recall one that included a very long thorough flashback in the way Metroland did. It takes us back early on into his life in Paris as an artist in love with his French girlfriend he met before meeting his wife. This flashback sequence is so long that it feels like a different movie, but when it's over and we're taken back to his present day it feels perfect. 9/10 from me.
½ June 5, 2010
Interesting story about youthful ideas and growing up. The main reason that I watched this was cause of Christian Bale, saying that, I thought it was a decent enough film, although it lost half a star for lots of language and lots of needless nudity, sadly even from Bale, but other then that it is ok film if you are into these kinda movies.
½ May 26, 2010
November 20, 2009
A really well done movie with strong performances and visual style. Christian Bale played a great angsty working man looking back on his past. Emily Watson also did a nice job playing such a sweet, yet controlling wife.
½ August 18, 2009
There are a lot of flashbacks. Much in the same vein as American Beauty, or other films that question the basis of one's life's happiness.

I found Elsa's character more sympathetic than Emily's. Might not be a good choice if you're a big Emily Watson fan, I dunno.
June 26, 2009
i liked the common-life atmosphere of this movie and Paris :)
May 11, 2009
sometimes the lifestyle leads to the people in your life and sometimes...people land up and drive your lifestyle...metroland talks about such a struggle of a man...hung up between the monotony and stable feel of his present and the freedom and haywire path his past had...christian bale is amazing ...with able support from the rest of the cast!