Metropia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Metropia Reviews

½ July 4, 2016
A new kind of animation and probably the only kind to exist.

A very unique Scandinavian-English language film from the technical aspect. The only one kind in the whole world which is actually an experimental product from the new productions. It was made primarily using photoshop, and then adobe after effects for animation. If you're wondering what kind it is, actually a 2.5D animation, that means it is neither 2D or 3D, but between those two. Like tricking the 2D object as the 3D material.

Well they have succeeded to bring a visually impressive animation that mainly focused on the film character faces. The story was decent which is another dystopian concept where metro trains are the main content, hence it is called 'Metropia'. But the title also means 'visual refraction', that's what the story is slightly related too.

Anyway, it was very suspenseful till the final and mostly talking drama than physical action sequences. At some point I felt it was like the recent stop-motion animation 'Anomalisa', but realised that I predicted wrong and the story travelled in a different path to end decently. Though the overall film was very impressive from both technical and narrative wise. One must not miss it, just for a its rare kind, especially you like animations, but best suitable for adults.

7/10
½ February 20, 2016
Intriguing visual style and slightly bonkers dystopian plot. The pace is a bit slow and the characters can feel a bit dull, but still worthwhile.
Robert B.
October 3, 2015
Metropia is a film where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. The film's animation is fascinating and the voice acting is engaging. The setting and premise should please fans of a good dystopian or conspiracy film. The plot does not pan out in a satisfying way, unfortunately. But still, there are enough upsides to Metropia to make it an easy uprate.
September 27, 2015
I don't get how this movie has such a bad rating.. I loved it. It took a while to get used to the stye of animation, but it's a great movie for anyone interested in sci-fi and/or animation.
April 10, 2015
An incredible stylich animated film - I seldom see such beautiful craftmanship.
Relatable films for me are "Brazil" by the atmosphere, "The Lives Of Others" by the paranoia and "Enter the Void" by the inner head voice-thing. Great stuff.

Anyhow, the year is 2024 and things are quite dark and sad. The oil are gone and everyting is gray and grim, also the headquarters of the metro that got all of Europe connected. People seem unhappy, also Roger that is the main-character here as he goes on a hunt for answers in a nightmarish world.
So far, so good - and it get's better. Vincent Gallo is the voice of the main-guy. Other voices are done by Juliette Lewis, Stellan and Alexander Skarsgård, Fares Fares and other known names. The music is splendid and so are the atmosphere. Among the trivia it must be mentioned that the faces are taken from real people - real, unknown, regular people that have been getting their faces caught by a photocamera and then solidly photoshoped. The director is an earlier big shot in the Swedish graffiti scene back in the 90's - that's way cool and you can tell he's got an eye for perfection. Again, this looks absolutely incredible.

Well, this got to be a big film for me, right? Sadly - no, it's not. The story is not engaging at all and it's really hard to stay focused. It got little suspense and no true climax. I don't really know the characters and the little drama we get is not interesting at all.

A shame to give this film a mediocre score, really, but it's just great craftmanship, without the correct ingredients.

5 out of 10 West Ham supporter scarfs.
April 18, 2014
Mindblowingly unique animation, so-so story
February 4, 2014
Terrific fantastic animation, lame story, bad editing and uninspired direction. A waste of talent really
October 26, 2013
It is always unfortunate when a story lets down a movie's cinematography. In the case of Swedish movie Metropia, the stunning animation and completely out there idea is let down by the overall execution of the narrative. For such a unique story i was often bored and more often distracted by sub standard dialogue. More than a little disappointing.
PantaOz
½ September 2, 2013
This Swedish adult (not the type just coming to your mind) animated science-fiction movie is directed by Tarik Saleh. The interesting but very simplistic screenplay was written by Fredrik Edin, Stig Larsson, and Tarik Saleh after a story by Tarik Saleh, Fredrik Edin and Martin Hultman. I loved the animation technique which uses actual photographs been altered and heavily stylized in a computer program, to finally be animated. The visual style is inspired by the works of Terry Gilliam, Roy Andersson and Yuriy Norshteyn but it kept its originality.

I will say that Orwellian element are obvious in the story about terrifying Europe where the world is running out of oil, and a private underground network is created by joining all the various undergrounds together underneath Europe. The main character is Roger (Vincent Gallo) from Stockholm and he avoids the underground because he finds it disturbing. He uses a banned bicycle for transportation but soon things are starting to happen and he has no option but to use the underground. His problem is that sometimes when he is too near the transport network, he hears a strange voice in his head...

I liked the idea that ordinary people spotted on the streets were used as models for the characters. The main character Roger is based on a chef who worked at a restaurant in Stockholm where the Atmo (the developers of the story) employees were regulars, and Nina was found in a make-up store. Vincent Gallo accepted his part as the lead voice actor after having seen 30 seconds of finished animation as well as hearing that German actor Udo Kier, of whom Gallo was a fan, already was attached to the project.

As a movie I enjoyed it, even with the lack of effective narration, mainly because of the dark toned photography with a unique look and excellent collage of music, animation and suspense. Metropia has been awarded the prestigious "Future Film Festival Digital Award 2009" at the 66th Venice International Film Festival, recognized as "In perfect harmony with the story". I hope you'll have a chance to enjoy it.
August 11, 2013
State of the art animation that not only blurred my suspension of disbelief but altered my perspectives for visual arts. Moody, dark, atmospheric drama about the voices in your head and the take down of a top government project. All set in the age of bleak future of northern European. Thank you Sweden!
August 5, 2013
Dark, stunning and original but poorly narrative.
½ July 28, 2013
It's dark, it's gritty, it's dystopic and you can tell all of that by just the animation alone.
June 11, 2013
Dark, gritty animation that dives headfirst into the uncanny valley. Unfortunately, the stunning (but uncomfortable) visuals can't make up for a lack of story depth. The near-future dystopia certainly has more great stories to tell, this just isn't one of them.
½ May 5, 2013
Metropia is a Swedish animated film which uses a style seen more in video games than in movies, in fact it's the first feature film that I've seen made in this lifelike animation. It was stunning in visual animation, and even hard to imagine that it's all animated. If it's worth nothing outside of these techniques, it's still worth more than most movies of this nature. The premise is that of the novel 1984, a uniform society, with no seasons, and television being a source of control. A huge weak point of this film was the awful voice acting. It was weak and not in sync with lip motions, it took away drastically from the feel. The plot and climax were mediocre, but I feel it still created some tension and dilemma. It's a one time watch, but I would love to see this animation be built on in the future.
½ December 1, 2012
The Moby-like main character and Juliette Lewis' annoying voice only added to the pain of watching this prententious crap.
November 27, 2012
While the animation style is both interesting and beautiful and the voice over work is really good, the story is mediocre and the ending leaves you more confused then content.
½ November 22, 2012
Very solid film. Awesome animation(both in character and production design... and a great color pallet) and a really cool "paranoia" film. I would love to see this done live action as I would recommend this to anyone interested in paranoia-type-thrillers.
½ October 28, 2012
nyskapande animationsteknik i härligt dystopiska framtidsmiljöer. storyn var inte så originell kanske och kändes så där måttligt trovärdigt. slutet var även lite vekt. men filmen var klart underhållande i alla fall!
½ September 9, 2012
Futuristic. Dark and scary.
August 27, 2012
Given the animation looks great and the way it was animated gave it a new look. Aside from that there wasn't anything good about it. Sure the story seemed good and new but it didn't go anywhere. No climax really, no twist, or even an exciting ending. Watch at your own accord but don't expect anything big.