Mexican Hayride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mexican Hayride Reviews

October 21, 2009
my personal favorite filled with some great vaudeville skits!
July 5, 2009
I have the collection of these two and I watch them often
½ May 25, 2009
After being framed for a swindle by a greasy conman (Abbott), Joe Bascombe (Costello) follows the scoundrel to Mexico to clear his name. Unfortunately, Joe is tricked into being the fall guy for [i]another[/i] scheme.

"Mexican Hayride" is the first truly bad Abbott & Costello picture I've seen. Not only is the storyline illogical (even by Abbott & Costello standards), but the best gags in here will evoke mild chuckles at best. Even if it was included in the DVD multipack "The Best of Abbott & Costello Vol. 3", this is probably one of their worst.

One very strange thing about this film is that it was based on a successful musical from the early 1940s. However, there is only one song in the film and it isn't even by Cole Porter, who wrote the music for the original stage production.

Mexican Hayride
Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Luba Malina, Tim Powers, Pat Costello, Virginia Grey and John Hubbard
Director: Charles Barton
½ March 29, 2009
My favorite A&C scene of all time in this one in which Lou impersonates an elderly senorita manning a tortilla cart.
February 20, 2009
As usual, Abbott and Costello get themselves into a sticky situation. Costello has to fight a bull. Good fun.
January 17, 2009
This is okay, but not one of their better ones. I felt the plot kinda got dull. As always, it does have some hilarious moments, but it isn't quite up to par with some of their other movies.
½ December 11, 2008
Some great Abbot and Costello bits. The bullfight is classic.
½ November 16, 2008
It's a nice change of pace to see Bud & Lou being more antagonistic with one another and the running gag with Costello dancing the samba is marvelous. The climactic bullfight has a great cartoon logic to it the scenes where the boys are in disguise are always good fun.
March 7, 2008
an interest comedy but falls a little flat at times
March 4, 2008
a weak movie for the two stars
November 3, 2007
Probably my favorite Abbott and Costello film. I get a huge kick out of watching Lou with his "samba" problem, and it seems different seeing Bud as more of a villain. I especially crack up when they are in the marketplace with their jokes, including the "silver ore", "smith", and "striking the motherload" jokes. Absolutely hilarious!
½ May 27, 2005