Miami Connection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miami Connection Reviews

½ August 16, 2016
The martial arts are pretty good, and you can tell that the film has heart. But man, this picture is just so campy. It's definitely fodder for mockery, given the horrendous acting, writing, and soundtrack. If you like unintentional comedies, do NOT miss 'Miami Connection'.
½ July 26, 2016
Entertaining because of how bad it is. The scrawny looking young men who the audience are supposed to believe, are tough gang members. Bad acting. Unconvincing stunts.
July 7, 2016
This film is amazing... I mean obviously it's horrifically bad, but it's so utterly un-intentionably terrible that you must watch it - and you'll have a good time doing so.

Essentially, a Tae Kwon Do master leads a group of mediocre Tae Kwon Do enthusiasts who also jam in a god awful synth rock band. No one wears any shirts except for the Female lead singer who dresses like a slightly younger version of Blanche from the Golden Girls crossed with a Nagel painting. Somehow, between the martial arts and the ghastly music, the gang is able to afford rent and tuition at a nearby technical college.

Anyway, at some point their band, Dragon Sound, gets a gig at a Disney-esque nightclub, unseating another band. The other band is, obviously, filled with psychotic rage and attempts a series of brutal beatings and organizes a massive lynch mob which is unsuccessful.

The rival band then enlists the help of a local bearded madman who has connections with some drug-running ninjas who ride motorcycles.

Dragon Sound does a quick set at the nightclub singing saccharin-y atonal nonsense about being friends with ninjas or some such crap and then goes on a visceral killing spree butchering dozens of victims in a blood-soaked orgy of death.

The happy-go-lucky student band ends up racking up a body count that is nothing short of a war crime.. but in the end they all stay friends.

Awesome soundtrack too.
½ May 23, 2016
This film's ridiculous premise ... a martial arts fighting rock and roll band fight drug trafficking biker ninjas ... plus some outrageously fun moments and a jaw-droppingly violent climax add up to a lot of fun. I don't love this one, and it's a bit difficult to say why. There are very similar films that I just adore, but I think the dull moments plus the disjointed, nonsensical plot lead me to be bored as often as I was amused by it.
December 6, 2015
That four star rating you see there is definitely a case of my personal enjoyment of the film, and doesn't necessarily reflect the quality and the content of the film itself. Miami Connection is definitely an inept film, as far as a story goes. It's also one of those films that fell through the cracks upon its original release, disappearing for over twenty years. Drafthouse Films rediscovered it and decided to distribute it, much to my delight. I had never heard of the film before, but I'll never forget it now that I've seen it. It's one of the most enjoyable bad movies ever made. Even when the slow parts come in where there's nothing to laugh at, there's still plenty there to keep you occupied. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a perfect bad movie, but it ranks up there. I particularly love the fight sequence at the end that is pretty brutal, and following it is the text "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." The film is pretty amazing in how awful it is, so if you're a fan of these types of movies like I am, then definitely pick up a copy and see it.
½ October 14, 2015
Partly good-bad but largely boring-bad, this is what happens when a non-American shoves as many 80's movie clichés into one boy-band-ninja-film as possible, all of which he thinks is authentic. Hilariously violent and performed with new levels of awful, I was crying with laughter...but not in a good way. Thank God for Rifftrax.
August 2, 2015
My one sentence review: I think this is the best bad movie of all time, entertaining and many other things.
July 27, 2015
Enjoyably inept on all levels of film-making competency, but nowhere near the glorious masterpiece of "bad/good cinema" i've been led to expect. Still though, an extraordinarily amateurish slice of terrible, trashy fun. All-together now "AGAINST THE NINJA"!!!.
June 26, 2015
A neon colored martial arts practicing rock band that sings songs about friendship and rarely wears shirts fights a group of ninjas that control Florida's cocaine trade. Could you get more 80's than that? As you can probably tell, Miami Connection is one of the many great movies to earn the title of "So bad, it's good", and it's one of the best in the genre. The performances are bad, the plot (I think there was one somewhere) is insane, and the music is wonderfully campy, but what really makes this movie stand out is its heart. You really get the feeling that everyone who was a part of this movie thought they were making something good and were having a lot of fun, and that wears off on you when you watch it. I think it's impossible not to smile during the odd dialog and over the top fight scenes, and that's the sign of a great midnight movie. So, instead of seeing a fake so bad, it's good movie like Sharknado where there's practically no soul, watch Miami Connection instead, and remember, only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace.
June 18, 2015
Dragon Sound is a band composed of five orphan college boys of diverse backgrounds. They get a gig as house band at a nightclub, where they entertain crowds with songs about how they will always be friends. But there's trouble in paradise. One band mate's girlfriend has just joined the band, let's call her Yoko, and her brother is coming around the club with his biker gang to sell cocaine and beat up Yoko's boyfriend. Also, the band that worked at the club before Dragon Sound got the gig want their hides, and have taken this complaint to their neighborhood evil ninja dojo. "They're all black belts in tae kwon do. And they're bad," the rival band leader warns the sensei as he calls in the hit. Some of that tae kwon do has apparently rubbed off on the club owner, who is not a significant character but nonetheless gets a fight scene where he beats up his old house band when they resort to threats to get him to take them back.

There follows a melee of clumsily choreographed fight scenes, where time and again a villainous biker or ninja will run toward a hero with a raised weapon, only to pause helpfully a foot or two away to give the hero a chance to kick them in the face. No place is safe for Dragon Sound (except I guess the beach, where they go to leer at girls in bikinis). Bikers accost them when they're driving their convertible through a trainyard. When the cops arrive on the scene after the combatants have gone, one cop says "We've got to get these gangs out of central Florida." Stay in northern or southern Florida where you belong, gangsters.

But when Yoko's brother and his henchmen kidnap Dragon Sound's John-Oates-lookalike guitarist, Dragon Sound decides to go on the offensive, beating up the gang and killing Yoko's brother. Yoko is pretty understanding on this score, thankfully. The ninjas, however, are out for blood, and ambush Dragon Sound as the band is on the way to meet the estranged father of one of their members (yes, everyone else in the band seems a little hurt to learn that he's not actually an orphan).
June 14, 2015
not the best-worst movie, but one of the better bad ones for sure. the fighting actually isn't all that bad, legitimately some of it looks cool and you can tell these guys had some training (some of them). It's only lacking things like storytelling and character development and back story (like that one black dude with the dad and the letter... my God that was great) and proper sound dubbing and whatnot. SO 80s. so verh gloriously 80s, and with certainly the best-worst transitions in a movie ever. go see it!
May 26, 2015
Sasquatch John, a Freddie-Mercury-lookalike-sex-pest and a middle-aged Korean midget star as perhaps the campiest rock band ever to hit the screen in this cheesy 80s actioner.
Miami Connection is the sort of film where the entire cast either know karate, don't wear tops, or both. It's also the kind of movie which abuses slo-mo to mask poor choreography and scraps the 180 degree rule in favour of synth-backed experiments with light filters.
The movie is horrendous and hilarious from start to finish, with highlights including a long-lost father subplot, moustachioed white dudes playing stunt doubles for clean-shaven Asians, and a soundtrack to cry for. This is by far one of the best bad movies out there in filmland, and, without spoiling anything, the final shot is a bargain-bin dream. Terrific fun.
April 5, 2015
This is unbelievable, a must watch. So very good that I'll go out of my way to shove it down my friend's throats!
February 28, 2015
I first found this movie while searching for cult action movies of the 80's and then I found this hidden gem. It reminds of the Ninja/Martial Arts movies of the 80's and 90's that were so bad that they were too good not to watch.
½ February 21, 2015
It's bad it's good. Add one more star for amazing Friends Forever song. Otherwise, pure disgrace for 80s.
February 1, 2015
One of the best, genuinely enjoyable and entertaining, B-Movies ever made.
½ January 23, 2015
Campy, but it has a unique character with the ninja rock band.
January 20, 2015
An absolute gem of "so-bad-it's-good" cinema, it really has to be seen to be believed. Gangs, drugs, motorcycles, martial arts fighting, and multiple rock music montages, make this a strong candidate for the Best Worst Movie of all time.
January 10, 2015