Miami Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miami Vice Reviews

October 23, 2015
A second viewing should be required for every Michael Mann film before you're allowed to make a final verdict. So far a second viewing has done me wonders on two Michael Mann films. The first being Blackhat, which I hated after my first watch and now Miami Vice, which I liked after my first watch but not that much. Now I really enjoy both Blackhat and Miami Vice.

Miami Vice has got to be one of the coolest movies ever made. Everything is so slick, from the two leads to the outstanding visuals. Even Colin Farrell's mustache is cool as fuck. Seriously though, you could watch this movie on mute and still be impressed by the film because of how great the movie looks. Even if you don't like the content in Mann's films, you cannot deny that each of his films looks incredible.

The action might be scarce, but when it hits it hits real hard. That's one of the things I love about Michael Mann, regardless of how long or short one of his action sequences might be; they are all flawless and filmed with precision. The final showdown at the docks is fucking epic and so well done.

If there's a Michael Mann film you don't like, I implore you to give it another try. A re-watch can be a beautiful thing. Hell, I recently watched all of Michael Mann's filmography within the past few months. There are still a few of his films, that I will be giving another try within the next few months. I won't be surprised if on end up loving Miami Vice after a third watch (ordered the Blu-Ray last night).

Also, it's one of my goals in life to have a mustache like Colin Farrell had in this film. It's legendary.
September 7, 2015
Solid caper without overblown spectacle.
August 17, 2015
Most certainly too indulgent with itself and far too long, I still enjoyed Mann playing even more with his Digital camera and fantastic sound work.
½ July 14, 2015
I don't understand where the hate comes from. This is a solid movie, and a good interpretation of the show...
June 18, 2015
Director's Cut is even better.
June 18, 2015
Director's Cut is even better.
½ June 10, 2015
This is the worst movie I've ever seen. Unfortunately, Flixster does not allow for a 0 out of 5. The story was atrocious, the acting was bad, there was no flow to the movie, there were back to back to back sex scenes between the same two people (we get it! they like fucking each other!). I could go on...

0 out of 5 gangsters
June 5, 2015
Not one of Mann's best and the story leaves a lot to be desired, but overall it is decent, really stylish and Farrell and Fox are the balls as Sonny and Ricardo.
½ May 31, 2015

Miami Vice, the name conjures up fast cars and the 1980's, but this movie creates very different ideas. Yes Michael Mann(famous for "Heat" and "Ali" etc) makes a crime movie that really does pay, and not very well on that point. It's the kind of movie where intense listening is needed and maybe a very big liking for police movies or crime, because this is one film that really doesn't show either for me, in a well made way.

The plot is big and full of things going on at once, this is both it's positives and it's negatives in one, on one hand we have good action and exciting things, on the flip side we have boring dialogue and romance that really gives this movie nothing extra. I feel Mann is not always to blame here for what I felt was an under average movie, but he does direct it in a way which means it is not only un-exciting, but also just not a watch that is needed.

Mann writes this as well and although our main actors Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx deliver the lines well enough, it becomes almost too much of a jumble. On to the acting itself and it isn't bad, it is well cast and doesn't shy away from picking names we may not know, but my main problem was with the way it sounds. The actors voices are so low and the accents so incoherent it is hard not to have to strain your ears to know what is going on, they do well most of the cast but what they say at times is a complete mystery.

Now the film is beautifully shot, the cinematography for me all in all is the very best thing about this, it makes it not only real but also gives it a feeling as if you are there yourself. Dion Beebe is the mastermind behind this and if you haven't seen it, then notice while watching how it feels more like some sort of documentary than actual film, but that style really pays off. And what of the area they shot in, well it is pretty glamorous at times, I mean what do you expect from drug kingpins boats to the beautiful city of Miami, the film is well located and the scene shots can be breathtaking.

Is it like it's basis, the 1980's show Miami Vice? ,not at all in fact it couldn't at times feel more opposite. It is much darker, and that is in tone and themes, the dark underbelly of Miami remains, but the city never looked so ugly when Mann wants it to be. I felt that the movie in a way doesn't hark back to the memories so many fans have, yes it has it's cars and boats, guns etc but not the beautiful scores that the TV show had, not to mention the actual connection people had with the characters, which just doesn't come though here.

If you want good crime movies with smart plots and good action too, I won't say don't give this a watch, but just find something else first because this can and I guarantee for some is a real snooze. The plot as I said is thick with things going on, but there's the problem it is too full and you can easily be lost in the way things are going. The main two characters Crockett and Tubbs have no real bond and in truth spend too much time not together in this movie.

Overall it's not a movie for all, maybe for some, but probably won't please fans of the TV series. I felt it was as mentioned under average and I felt that because not only have we seen things like this before, Mann can't even make this a good kind of seen before and his attempt at remaking this just becomes not bad, but too near to being poor to be acceptable.
May 28, 2015
Given his inclusion within the original television show, on which this movie is based, it was inevitable that Michael Mann, would at some point, turn his pastel coloured hit into a dark and gritty movie. I can applaud him for trying here, but although astheically pleasing, Miami Vice is lacking the substance it needs to truly shine. It all starts off like a bad action film, we're introduced to a Vice team, ran by Ricardo and Sonny, in their attempt to capture what appears to be a sex trafficer, its about then they receive a call from a distant source, explaining how a deal with the FBI has gone completely tits up. After the inevitable Sonny and Ricardo, and their team, are tasked with getting to the bottom of the drug cartel that tore a whole in the FBI, by going deep under cover as drug shippers. Its a big game of cat and mouse, that should have a lot more tension than it does, that's not to say it doesnt have its moments or merit, but there is very little substance and too much drivel in between these moments that make you either confused or lose sight of the big picture. Visually, Miami Vice is stunning to look at, the gritty, early digitized feel, lends itself well to setting a dark and forboding tone, much like it also makes the vast columbian and hiatian landscapes utterly irresistable to look at. The cinematography is gritty, dark, blue, of course and real. It all sounds the part too, the audio department do a great job with both music choice and foley work, minus one or two cheesy rock moments, that could have just been left out. Equally the acting, as per, is brilliant, Colin Farrell is direct, relatable and has the machismo for the part, equally Jamie Foxx, brings these tropes with an abundance of human touch. their partner ship is great, they bounce off each other in order to make deals work, they are the ultimate yin and yang. Problem is, we dont see enough of the duo together. That's because Mann has Sonny off getting laid with an insider for far too long, while Ricardo just kind of fades into the background. In fact the film goes about everything backwards. It establishes a good connection between characters, then just isolates them through the entire second half of the movie, leaving you feeling like this cop buddy film, isnt as buddy as you thought. Niaomi Harris is good as Ricardo's love interest and Justin Theroux does what hes given to the best of his abilities, but the team have barely any substance, apart from the leading men. Yeah they operate as a team, but its so calculated and lacks any human involvement, for the most part. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good, no lines blurred. The script is stock full of techno mumbo jumbo too, instead of humans talking, we get full scenes of tactical terms flung in our faces at a speed we just cant fathom. Yes i know what these things are but just rattling them off for the sake of it, doesnt make me think god these guys are shit hot, it makes me feel like their robots. Luckily the actors are good enough to take this and turn it into something bearable. It's not until well after the first quarter that the film kicks into gear, by which time, its nice to catch brilliant moments of creative tension, a meeting with a middle man which see the duo use a grenade as a bargaining chip. A super tense hostage situation and more subtle moments where Ricardo pulls Sonny aside to ask if he has gotten in too deep are remarkable bits of film and save this from being a complete disaster. But the pay off is lack luster, predictable and kind of deflating. You get very little closure, you dont feel as relieved as you should and you cant help but feel you just watched an overly long pilot for a television show. It doesnt feel like the full package you get from a Michael Mann film, its looks like it, it sounds like it, the actors try their hardest with it but the source material just isnt there. It's enjoyable, it has its moments and some of the action sequences are brutally orchestrated, its gritty, stunning and easy on the eye, but with an over abundance of techno chat, lack of tension and no real cameraderi between the team apart from Foxx and Farrell, your left not really caring, which is a far cry from what we are used to with Mann.
½ May 18, 2015
You'll probably like it better if you've never watched the tv show.
I could not enjoy it as much because of that, as I do not think Colin Farrell can fill Don Johnson's shoes as Crockett.
But it is good as a standalone police thriller which definitely has more style than plot, and sometimes that's not a bad thing.
May 17, 2015
I expected so much more for this movie, but it really got boring thirty minutes into the movie.
April 26, 2015
Michael Mann who helped create the original series reimagines the story into a less stylized action-drama and turning into a gritty ultraviolent crime action-thriller. Good performances by Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx and the villains are lovingly hatable. A good reimagining. 4 out of 5 stars.
April 7, 2015
I'll never for the life of me understand what people didn't like about this gritty hard hitting cop thriller that told a straight forward story directed by Michael Mann. It was funny at moments, it had action, what more could one have wanted? Better acting from the actors? Or did you require a Crockett should marry the girl at the end like An Officer and a Gentleman? This is by far one of the best movies of the 21st century, and it's hated on because it doesn't star Don Johnson
March 8, 2015
Not really much great action , bit to slow , liked the story between Sonny and Isabella . Because i was awake enough i could see this movie in 1 piece now ! SOMDVD
½ February 18, 2015
Soulless lead characters and an absolutely mind-numbing second act squelch any chance that "Miami Vice" has in convincing the audience to buy its gritty, updated interpretation of the classic TV saga.
February 15, 2015
This movie is a douchebag
February 5, 2015
its one of my favourite.
January 16, 2015
Terrific looking movie about cops and drug dealers. Oddly cold film that never really lets us get close to the characters. Awesome soundtrack!
January 15, 2015
This movie is really good. I really liked it, but there was just something that kept this movie from reaching greatness. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's the fact that there's a lack of interaction between Rico and Sonny. They are just not in that many scenes together and when they do interact with each other is just for brief moments. There was probably a period of 20-30 minutes in which Jamie's character wasn't on screen. Other than that and the fact that the dialogue is not that strong I still find this to be a really good summer movie. The directing is again fantastic in typical Michael Mann fashion. It feels like you're there with the action. For example during the last shoot-out scene (which is absolutely fantastic) there's a part where blood is squirted and the blood falls on the camera and the cameraman moves as though he were there with the action. Also I liked the fact that the blood that was squirted stayed on the camera, it was a nice little touch. Collateral is still a 1000 times better but as I read in a review a solid Michael Mann films still beats anything else that is out there.