Miami Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miami Vice Reviews

June 8, 2016
Um dos filmes mais subestimados de Michael Mann
½ June 7, 2016
A depressing, and dull movie. Although this movie has gorgeous cinematography, it is unfortunately a disappointment from Michael Mann. C-
½ April 26, 2016
Kind of a letdown for a Michael Mann film. I expected much more story development and this thing dragged as it is and was over 2 hours. Farrell and Foxx lacked the charisma as leads in this compared to the original MV. The only thing I really liked about Miami Vice and was cinematography. It is beautifully shot, as most Michael Mann films are
March 21, 2016
Ação adaptada da série de TV homônima exibida em 1980, produzido por Michael Mann e Pieter Jan Brugge com roteiro e direção do propio Mann que ridiculamente tenta inflar um episódio de seu programa de TV dos anos 80 em uma balada de longa-metragem de tédio disfarçado com luxúria e uma desastrosa intimidação ao trafico de drogas. O filme é estrelado Jamie Foxx como Tubbs e Colin Farrell como Crockett, bem como atriz chinesa Gong Li como Isabella, os atores ficam perdidos em meio a uma narração tumultuada pelo excesso de nada.
½ March 14, 2016
This movie should be a comedy bc it's a joke. Nothing but dudes tryna look cool banging nasty hoes not knowing what's going on the whole time . ... Same facial expressions the whole time and a staring contest smfh great acting let me tell ya and Colin's stoosh lmao .Should be called the eye job..... The action is all in the eyes !
½ February 17, 2016
A pretty strong story with a great backbone, Miami looking great, plot works well and a fantastic cast to complement the film.
February 14, 2016
This movie from the start was inconsistent. I will start with the technical aspects. The edding and lighting ranges from mediocre to poor with notable cutshots to everything being too dark to see anything. The Sound design is not good. it also ranges from mediocre to poor were the dialogue is so low that you are not able to keep up with the film. the Music is so mind numbingly annoying and boring that it feels like needles digging into your ears. Now to the Plot. this movie lacks a clear antagonist. when you mix Chinese, Russian, and Mexican Criminals you become confused as to who the antagonist is which makes the plot hard to follow. also pertaining to the Antagonist you don't know there intentions is which makes the plot also hard to follow. Now for the acting. the acting is the worst acting I have seen. everyone had a stone face if not a stone face they cussed in ways that didn't make since. Speaking about cussing this is the weakest R raided movie I have ever seen. Very close to being pg 13. the graphic scenes were so out of place it seems like they didn't know what to do with them. Overall this movie is bad, its boring, please skip it!
½ February 14, 2016
Scarsino. Il punto debole del film è sicuramente il ritmo, che in più punti risulta molto lento. Tuttavia la trama è carina e le (rare) scene d'azione mi sono piaciute.
Certamente da Michael Mann mi sarei aspettato qualcosa di più. La performance di Jamie Foxx mi è parsa migliore rispetto a quella di Colin Farrell.
January 24, 2016
I loved the to show. Just putting that out there. The movie had lots of feel and look of it also. Speedboats, fast cars and other aspects. It looks a,aging, the direction is superb, it's shot well. The score is superb also as Miami Vice should be. If you were a casual viewer of this movie and not a fan of the show you may get confused as to who Crocket and Tubbs are. They are vice cops undercover for the record. My biggest problem with this movie is its lack of character development. The humour and buddy aspect between the two main characters is lacking. It's like they hardly know each other. In the TV series they have a great relationship that never gets explored here. So it's Got everything apart from its heart and soul. That is never a good thing in a movie. I weirdly enough enjoyed the two hours it was on for the look and feel and probably nostalgia. It didn't stray very far from its source material. I Would also love a shot in that speedboat f I'm honest. But the movie left me feeling that something was missing.
½ January 4, 2016
1/4/2015: Meh. A great cast, but generally disappointing.
½ November 28, 2015
What a disappointment.
October 23, 2015
A second viewing should be required for every Michael Mann film before you're allowed to make a final verdict. So far a second viewing has done me wonders on two Michael Mann films. The first being Blackhat, which I hated after my first watch and now Miami Vice, which I liked after my first watch but not that much. Now I really enjoy both Blackhat and Miami Vice.

Miami Vice has got to be one of the coolest movies ever made. Everything is so slick, from the two leads to the outstanding visuals. Even Colin Farrell's mustache is cool as fuck. Seriously though, you could watch this movie on mute and still be impressed by the film because of how great the movie looks. Even if you don't like the content in Mann's films, you cannot deny that each of his films looks incredible.

The action might be scarce, but when it hits it hits real hard. That's one of the things I love about Michael Mann, regardless of how long or short one of his action sequences might be; they are all flawless and filmed with precision. The final showdown at the docks is fucking epic and so well done.

If there's a Michael Mann film you don't like, I implore you to give it another try. A re-watch can be a beautiful thing. Hell, I recently watched all of Michael Mann's filmography within the past few months. There are still a few of his films, that I will be giving another try within the next few months. I won't be surprised if on end up loving Miami Vice after a third watch (ordered the Blu-Ray last night).

Also, it's one of my goals in life to have a mustache like Colin Farrell had in this film. It's legendary.
September 7, 2015
Solid caper without overblown spectacle.
August 17, 2015
Most certainly too indulgent with itself and far too long, I still enjoyed Mann playing even more with his Digital camera and fantastic sound work.
½ July 14, 2015
I don't understand where the hate comes from. This is a solid movie, and a good interpretation of the show...
June 18, 2015
Director's Cut is even better.
June 18, 2015
Director's Cut is even better.
½ June 10, 2015
This is the worst movie I've ever seen. Unfortunately, Flixster does not allow for a 0 out of 5. The story was atrocious, the acting was bad, there was no flow to the movie, there were back to back to back sex scenes between the same two people (we get it! they like fucking each other!). I could go on...

0 out of 5 gangsters
June 5, 2015
Not one of Mann's best and the story leaves a lot to be desired, but overall it is decent, really stylish and Farrell and Fox are the balls as Sonny and Ricardo.
½ May 31, 2015
Grade:5/10

Miami Vice, the name conjures up fast cars and the 1980's, but this movie creates very different ideas. Yes Michael Mann(famous for "Heat" and "Ali" etc) makes a crime movie that really does pay, and not very well on that point. It's the kind of movie where intense listening is needed and maybe a very big liking for police movies or crime, because this is one film that really doesn't show either for me, in a well made way.

The plot is big and full of things going on at once, this is both it's positives and it's negatives in one, on one hand we have good action and exciting things, on the flip side we have boring dialogue and romance that really gives this movie nothing extra. I feel Mann is not always to blame here for what I felt was an under average movie, but he does direct it in a way which means it is not only un-exciting, but also just not a watch that is needed.

Mann writes this as well and although our main actors Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx deliver the lines well enough, it becomes almost too much of a jumble. On to the acting itself and it isn't bad, it is well cast and doesn't shy away from picking names we may not know, but my main problem was with the way it sounds. The actors voices are so low and the accents so incoherent it is hard not to have to strain your ears to know what is going on, they do well most of the cast but what they say at times is a complete mystery.

Now the film is beautifully shot, the cinematography for me all in all is the very best thing about this, it makes it not only real but also gives it a feeling as if you are there yourself. Dion Beebe is the mastermind behind this and if you haven't seen it, then notice while watching how it feels more like some sort of documentary than actual film, but that style really pays off. And what of the area they shot in, well it is pretty glamorous at times, I mean what do you expect from drug kingpins boats to the beautiful city of Miami, the film is well located and the scene shots can be breathtaking.

Is it like it's basis, the 1980's show Miami Vice? ,not at all in fact it couldn't at times feel more opposite. It is much darker, and that is in tone and themes, the dark underbelly of Miami remains, but the city never looked so ugly when Mann wants it to be. I felt that the movie in a way doesn't hark back to the memories so many fans have, yes it has it's cars and boats, guns etc but not the beautiful scores that the TV show had, not to mention the actual connection people had with the characters, which just doesn't come though here.

If you want good crime movies with smart plots and good action too, I won't say don't give this a watch, but just find something else first because this can and I guarantee for some is a real snooze. The plot as I said is thick with things going on, but there's the problem it is too full and you can easily be lost in the way things are going. The main two characters Crockett and Tubbs have no real bond and in truth spend too much time not together in this movie.

Overall it's not a movie for all, maybe for some, but probably won't please fans of the TV series. I felt it was as mentioned under average and I felt that because not only have we seen things like this before, Mann can't even make this a good kind of seen before and his attempt at remaking this just becomes not bad, but too near to being poor to be acceptable.