Miami Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miami Vice Reviews

April 7, 2015
I'll never for the life of me understand what people didn't like about this gritty hard hitting cop thriller that told a straight forward story directed by Michael Mann. It was funny at moments, it had action, what more could one have wanted? Better acting from the actors? Or did you require a Crockett should marry the girl at the end like An Officer and a Gentleman? This is by far one of the best movies of the 21st century, and it's hated on because it doesn't star Don Johnson
March 8, 2015
Not really much great action , bit to slow , liked the story between Sonny and Isabella . Because i was awake enough i could see this movie in 1 piece now ! SOMDVD
½ February 18, 2015
Soulless lead characters and an absolutely mind-numbing second act squelch any chance that "Miami Vice" has in convincing the audience to buy its gritty, updated interpretation of the classic TV saga.
February 15, 2015
This movie is a douchebag
February 5, 2015
its one of my favourite.
January 16, 2015
Terrific looking movie about cops and drug dealers. Oddly cold film that never really lets us get close to the characters. Awesome soundtrack!
January 15, 2015
This movie is really good. I really liked it, but there was just something that kept this movie from reaching greatness. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's the fact that there's a lack of interaction between Rico and Sonny. They are just not in that many scenes together and when they do interact with each other is just for brief moments. There was probably a period of 20-30 minutes in which Jamie's character wasn't on screen. Other than that and the fact that the dialogue is not that strong I still find this to be a really good summer movie. The directing is again fantastic in typical Michael Mann fashion. It feels like you're there with the action. For example during the last shoot-out scene (which is absolutely fantastic) there's a part where blood is squirted and the blood falls on the camera and the cameraman moves as though he were there with the action. Also I liked the fact that the blood that was squirted stayed on the camera, it was a nice little touch. Collateral is still a 1000 times better but as I read in a review a solid Michael Mann films still beats anything else that is out there.
January 3, 2015
I thought it was just a lacklustre film which all it does was bang shoot them up and by the end I was just waiting for the credits to roll
½ January 3, 2015
There was just something missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
When i saw this i compared to the original tv serie i had hoped it would be similiar. It was not near as good as the serie and had not the same feeling at all. This is a okey action movie but a bit boring.
½ January 1, 2015
Don't like Colin Farrel esp with a long hair and a beard and mustache, i watch just a piece of the scene and didn't bother to continue watching it .. :p
November 22, 2014
It had all the ingredients of a good film. Except perhaps the story. And it seemed to plod along unconvincingly. Nice cars and boats, some good actors, but something missing.
November 21, 2014
Miami Vice is surprisingly great. I mean great. The performances and script, while not as good as Collateral, are still competent enough, and Michael Mann takes risks with the narrative to make sure it's not just another generic TV adaption. The camera work is absolutely stunning. The film gets slow but the atmosphere is top notch, making Miami Vice a wonderfully relaxing film at times, and despite the one dimensional villains and some other characters, the end still had me on the edge of my seat. Criminally underrated movie.
September 20, 2014
It's dead. Just doesn't work. The old TV series had some humour. Characters seemed almost cardboard for some reason.
½ September 5, 2014
Michael Mann's big screen adaptation of his classic '80s TV series is way to serious for its own good. The whole film, including its steely look, is grim and somber without any joy or energy. Colin Farrell is miscast as Sonny Crockett. He uses a low, raspy voice to hide his Irish brogue, which saps his character of any charisma. Neither lead character is developed at all. And poor Gong Li, a national treasure in China, really struggles with her English-language role. An adaptation of "Miami Vice" doesn't have to be cheesy, but it needs to be a little fun.
August 17, 2014
A great action tandem by Ferrell and Foxx... With pretty and lovely parters by Gong and Harris... =)
August 15, 2014
An incredibly intense film. Michael Mann does not play to the original Vice's strengths. Farrell and Foxx have close to no chemistry, but if you get past that, it's one hell of a movie with great action, albeit not enough, and a good character drama.
August 6, 2014
This movie great if you can assume two things. 1) Your actually here to see Crockett and Tubbs (because you know the back-story, and you loved the series) and 2) It's audience appreciates the 80s series for what it was, an over-acted, over-stimulating, over-emotional, action packed, non-stop music video. If you come with those expectations, this movie is great. Great soundtrack, great plot, great cinematography, and interesting characters. The over-acting is wonderful, spot on with the original, only in a newer format. over-acting is kind of a lost art. The downside is that if you didn't watch the 80s series, this probably isn't the right movie for you. You'll get confused, and you won't appreciate the characters (especially the villains.) If you want to see this movie and enjoy it, first go watch Season 1 of the 80s series on Netflix, then come back to this movie. You will appreciate it more, and it might rank high on your movie list.
August 6, 2014
An amazingly shot film, with great dialogue and action, it does get wordy and drags a bit, but this is an awesome film. Mann's most underrated film
August 2, 2014