Miami Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miami Vice Reviews

January 15, 2015
This movie is really good. I really liked it, but there was just something that kept this movie from reaching greatness. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's the fact that there's a lack of interaction between Rico and Sonny. They are just not in that many scenes together and when they do interact with each other is just for brief moments. There was probably a period of 20-30 minutes in which Jamie's character wasn't on screen. Other than that and the fact that the dialogue is not that strong I still find this to be a really good summer movie. The directing is again fantastic in typical Michael Mann fashion. It feels like you're there with the action. For example during the last shoot-out scene (which is absolutely fantastic) there's a part where blood is squirted and the blood falls on the camera and the cameraman moves as though he were there with the action. Also I liked the fact that the blood that was squirted stayed on the camera, it was a nice little touch. Collateral is still a 1000 times better but as I read in a review a solid Michael Mann films still beats anything else that is out there.
January 3, 2015
I thought it was just a lacklustre film which all it does was bang shoot them up and by the end I was just waiting for the credits to roll
½ January 3, 2015
There was just something missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
When i saw this i compared to the original tv serie i had hoped it would be similiar. It was not near as good as the serie and had not the same feeling at all. This is a okey action movie but a bit boring.
½ January 1, 2015
Don't like Colin Farrel esp with a long hair and a beard and mustache, i watch just a piece of the scene and didn't bother to continue watching it .. :p
November 22, 2014
It had all the ingredients of a good film. Except perhaps the story. And it seemed to plod along unconvincingly. Nice cars and boats, some good actors, but something missing.
November 21, 2014
Miami Vice is surprisingly great. I mean great. The performances and script, while not as good as Collateral, are still competent enough, and Michael Mann takes risks with the narrative to make sure it's not just another generic TV adaption. The camera work is absolutely stunning. The film gets slow but the atmosphere is top notch, making Miami Vice a wonderfully relaxing film at times, and despite the one dimensional villains and some other characters, the end still had me on the edge of my seat. Criminally underrated movie.
September 20, 2014
It's dead. Just doesn't work. The old TV series had some humour. Characters seemed almost cardboard for some reason.
½ September 5, 2014
Michael Mann's big screen adaptation of his classic '80s TV series is way to serious for its own good. The whole film, including its steely look, is grim and somber without any joy or energy. Colin Farrell is miscast as Sonny Crockett. He uses a low, raspy voice to hide his Irish brogue, which saps his character of any charisma. Neither lead character is developed at all. And poor Gong Li, a national treasure in China, really struggles with her English-language role. An adaptation of "Miami Vice" doesn't have to be cheesy, but it needs to be a little fun.
August 17, 2014
A great action tandem by Ferrell and Foxx... With pretty and lovely parters by Gong and Harris... =)
August 15, 2014
An incredibly intense film. Michael Mann does not play to the original Vice's strengths. Farrell and Foxx have close to no chemistry, but if you get past that, it's one hell of a movie with great action, albeit not enough, and a good character drama.
August 6, 2014
This movie great if you can assume two things. 1) Your actually here to see Crockett and Tubbs (because you know the back-story, and you loved the series) and 2) It's audience appreciates the 80s series for what it was, an over-acted, over-stimulating, over-emotional, action packed, non-stop music video. If you come with those expectations, this movie is great. Great soundtrack, great plot, great cinematography, and interesting characters. The over-acting is wonderful, spot on with the original, only in a newer format. over-acting is kind of a lost art. The downside is that if you didn't watch the 80s series, this probably isn't the right movie for you. You'll get confused, and you won't appreciate the characters (especially the villains.) If you want to see this movie and enjoy it, first go watch Season 1 of the 80s series on Netflix, then come back to this movie. You will appreciate it more, and it might rank high on your movie list.
August 6, 2014
An amazingly shot film, with great dialogue and action, it does get wordy and drags a bit, but this is an awesome film. Mann's most underrated film
August 2, 2014
This Was A Good Remake To An Great 1980s TV Show.B-
July 22, 2014
Michael Mann retains the crisp, digital cinematography as his last movie Collateral, but lacks the excitement, tight story telling and winning dynamic between the lead actors.
½ June 22, 2014
Glup, spor i dosadan !
½ June 19, 2014
Great look and feel. Feels detached at times.
½ May 23, 2014
(28%)
Like a piano with one key, or a guitar with one string, this is a movie with only one note. Everything about it is somewhere between bad and okay as the lead cast are given an even harder task than their characters with a script void of personality, wit, ideas, and intrigue. Fans of this movie harp on about it looking great, but I don't think so, it's too inconsistent as parts do look quite good, but then certain parts look do like a $10.000 budgeted amatuer piece with some distracting, and all-too clear looking grainy digital crap shots. The biggest issue of all though is the sheer dullness of it all, it really is like watching a super serious "Bad boys" rip-off, and when the plot can be explained in a short sentence, then is it really necessary for it to be over 2 hour long? It is safe to say I'll never, ever watch this again because what's the point? Stick with the TV series as this, along with the very disappointing "Public enemies", is a product of a director running low on steam. Fingers crossed he finds form again pretty soon as this is total dross.
½ May 21, 2014
This is a pretty good cop action film based off of a popular tv show. Jamie Foxx is Ricardo Tubbs and Colin Farrell is Sonny Crockett and they are undercover cops transporting narcotics to a supplier in South Florida to try and catch the man responsible for 3 murders. At times the film feels slow but then the pacing picks up and leads to some riveting viewing. I enjoyed it and as per for a Michael Mann film it delivers what it needs to
May 12, 2014