Microcosmos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Microcosmos Reviews

July 13, 2015
I'd seen this years ago and it still holds up as fascinating. The film is essentially a series of super close-up shorts of various bugs and other small creatures in their natural habitat, doing everything form eating, sleeping, reproducing, fighting or just walking around. The vibrant photography and elegant editing are what make this film so hypnotic and compelling to watch. I was kind of disappointed that it didn't hold my kids interest (I think it also kind of grossed them out), but I at least couldn't take my eyes off the film.
January 1, 2015
Brillant throughout. The narrative and cinematography are superb. A must see that you'll watch again and again.
½ December 19, 2014
Mesmerizing. Beautiful, entertaining, funny, and a little itchy at times. I love how operatic arias accompany the mating scenes--hilarious.
July 8, 2014
Undoubtedly interesting, skillfully shot, and a wonderful score.
½ March 18, 2014
Stunningly gorgeous. Looking for something great to through on the wide screen while you are entertaining?
January 26, 2014
I happened upon this while looking through Netflix for something to watch with Benjamin.
It was amazing to see such close up views of the insect world. Some of the camera angles had to be very hard to come by, but produced some incredible pictures.
I recommend this to everyone. We both enjoyed it and learned a lot, too.
November 18, 2013
Absolutely exhilarating. One of the best nature docs I've ever seen...
November 2, 2013
I don't like bugs so this movie totally freaked me out. Also it made me itchy... :/
½ October 4, 2013
A gorgeous doc that opens up a world we, of course, knew existed yet, in a way, *didn't* know existed. As we watch these insects go about their daily routines, the mundane becomes operatic and the creepy crawly becomes a true work of art. This is a film that reminds us of how small we are by going small itself--like peering into a tiny mirror.
½ September 18, 2013
Visually beautiful, but a bit too slow moving for my taste.
½ August 15, 2013
-the visuals worked much better than the audio, which was at times a bit too sensational.
-Thank God that British lady's precious narration was reduced to the beginning and the ending-that was nearly insufferable.
-many of the moments blew my shit away, like the snails loving all over each other, or the bee larva becoming a real bee.
-A few of them were a bit tedious, like the beetle rolling the ball across the road. That was about as fun as watching a human roll a ball across the road.
July 23, 2013
An astonishingly intimate peek into the art of insects, and one of my favorite pre-'Planet Earth' nature documentaries. I would love to see another filmmaker take another look at the mundane acts of insect life armed with the superior technologies we possess today - even though this film is already a technologically advanced marvel in its own right. 5/5 Hardly any narration, just enough to guide the viewer through the vast and supremely weird insect world we live amongst.
March 12, 2013
Documentary that shows in mesmerizing magnification insects in the hills of what I believe is in the United Kingdom. Many bugs are outlined in the various weather patterns that pass by including a torrential down poor, which allows the mosquitoes to sadly hatch (everyone hates these insects). Very little narration and nothing in terms of plot or story, but mainly footage that shows the day and life of many types of bugs, such as ladybugs, bees, dragonflies, water-bugs, aphids, and ants. They may be gross and disgusting to many, but quite a few of them are cool to me. The colours realized from this film are a gem. Though, I find it strange that the credits are French yet the narration is in English (and surprisingly by Kristin Scott Thomas who was in "The English Patient" that same year).
½ February 27, 2013
This film can get a bit tedious...but don't let that deter you -- watch it in parts, if you have to. This is unlike any nature documentary you've ever seen... without special effects this film will change the way you look at the world, as you spend the hour and twenty minutes watching the freakish alien species that reside among the blades of grass in your lawn.
January 28, 2013
beautiful. love that sisyphean dream sequence in the middle. so many metaphors.
½ January 23, 2013
interesting to see bugs so close up, amazing quality for something filmed in 1996. love the soundtrack, was a little slow at parts, would of liked a little more dialogue to know what was going on.
January 9, 2013
Brilliant storytelling and photography, with next to no narration and sounds from nature augmented with a great classical soundtrack, the viewer is left to take it all in on his/her own. Excellent work.
½ December 26, 2012
Fascinating to the point that its microscopically overwhelming, "Microcosmos" is perfectly named. Somehow we are given the chance to relate to insects that are actual insects instead of the usual talking Disney bug. Overall a hauntingly pretty look at the smaller things in life.
December 11, 2012
One for any flat-earther HD deniers left out there