Midnight Clear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight Clear Reviews

½ December 16, 2014
This should not be listed under Comedy - there was nothing funny about it.
½ December 24, 2013
A very touching film. A cynic would call it slow, but I thought it gentle. Not a lot happens, but what does is quite lovely.
December 17, 2013
Engaging character-driven family flick.
December 10, 2012
There are a lot of things about this movie that should ruin it. For one thing, Stephen Baldwin. For another, it's ridiculously preachy. Also, it's really pretty depressing. But somehow, it held my interest anyway, and while I really can't say I loved it, I was pretty engrossed throughout most of it. It's a solid film, just not one that's necessarily enjoyable.
November 17, 2012
Play instantly on Netflix
½ October 10, 2012
Another Baldwin blunder.
July 12, 2012
Baldwin's best performance ever. The movie is a six degrees on christmas.
December 28, 2011
This film adaptation from the short story of the same name suffers from a long opening introduction of 5 separate central characters that are going through different kind of difficulties, depressions, and are all experiencing loneliness during Christmas Eve. The movie is a bit boring at first as we are introduced to each character and their problems but as the film continues and the characters begin to connect with each other the film gets more interesting and the underlying message becomes clear. Midnight Clear is a great short story which when made into a full length film suffered from a few extensive scenes which are not that important in the movie. However the message in the film is not lost and after the first 30 minutes or so the characters begin to connect with each other and the message gets across. The main theme of the movie is that small acts of kindness however insignificant they can be could have a huge impact on other peopleā??s lives and at the end that message gets across in the final scene when we see the youth pastor looking back at Eve with her son in Church. The storytelling is great and hooks you once these characters connect with each other and we see how small acts change the outcome of a life. We are used to seeing Christmas movies that focus on happiness, but this movie shows how for some people Christmas time can be difficult and lonely. The movie is sort of dark at the beginning but at the end it gives out a message of hope. I found the movie very enjoyable thanks to the good story and character development and unlike other films of this genre not too preachy or cheesy.
December 27, 2011
I loved this! Maybe I'm feeling holiday sappy, but I just loved it. Reminds you how anything you do can affect so many more people, and many times you don't even know the changes you made possible.
½ December 21, 2011
So you are looking for a non-traditional Christmas movie? You say you can take a little sadness (okay, a lot of sadness) as long as there is hope and redemption just around the bend? And you say that you really appreciate a film which features acting performances that are so good, that they make an average script sparkle? How about something that is currently available on Netflix Instant Viewing? Midnight Clear is your obvious choice. Check it out.
October 10, 2011
Well meaning story, pleasantly acted. The pacing is very slow, but it fits with the film. Simple and moving. It can be a bit depressing at times but overall it's well done.
February 3, 2011
Play instantly on Netflix
December 19, 2010
Completely stumbled on this one by accident. Based on the short story, it does a commendable job of keeping you interested, focused, and attentive to it's details. Certainly worth the few minutes this story needs to capture your mind and heart.
December 17, 2010
Best Christmas movie ever, unknown sleeper. Starts with people in the depths of horrible despair, who find hope at Christmas time through small acts of kindness. With them, it takes you from the hell of your demons and helps you refind your own humanity. Hard to find but get it.
bbcfloridabound
December 10, 2010
Film 20 is by far the best, Written by Jerry Jenkins who wrote the left behind series. its about 4 people with there troubled life's on Christmas Eve. This is a Special Good Family Movie. Stephen Baldwin played an excellent part. A 5 Star Movie.
½ July 27, 2010
Writing review from memory. The production is not great on this movie, but the movie has great heart. The writing is not the best, but the actors do a great job with it. The camera work is pretty good. It is a great story all around and sets out a great moral in that we should do the right things in life even if we don't see the immediate benefits of what we are doing. Even if it seems hard or something disruptive to our lives. Doing the right thing not out of a religious obligation, but because we know it to be right sets forth things in motion that only God or an audience can clearly see. Great effort.
November 9, 2009
When 5 lonely people experience random and minor acts of kindness on Christmas eve, their lives are changed forever. A quiet, deeply moving drama that touches the heart without being too sentimental or preachy. Simply beautiful!
½ August 15, 2009
Highly recommend it. Five seemingly unconnected stories converge as well they should because it is all really connected anyhow.
Netflix On Demand.
August 5, 2009
I don't watch movies to be preached to. Adding a Baldwin to the mix of what looks like a badly written movie is only asking to be tortured.