Midnight Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight Son Reviews

January 9, 2016
160109: Though this film is labeled a horror, don't expect something scary. It's an indie look at vampirism. It's no where near the class of Let Me In (2010) but it's not too terribly bad either. Obviously low budget, there are some pretty cool scenes held within. Maya Parish is perfect as the hot little junkie Mary and Tracey Walter appears a Gary the janitor. I like Walter but outside of Conan the Destroyer (1984), he seems to only appear in small part over the years. One of the most memorable to me is Miller in Repo Man (1984) but he has also appeared in City Slickers (1991), Silence of the Lambs (1991), and Young Guns II (1990) to name some of my favorites. I almost forget he existed until I watched this film but it was cool to see him again. For two reasons I'm happy I only paid $2.00 for this film. One, it was inexpensive; and two, it was inexpensive twisted entertainment. It will remain in my collection and I'll likely watch it again sometime.
August 11, 2015
Too romanticized to a fault, Midnight Son still manages to put a nice spin to a vampire genre
August 5, 2015
The handheld camera quality certainly doesn't help this film out, but other than that it has a lot of unrealised potential as the outline for the story is not too bad. It's main problem is that it doesn't engage the audience enough.
July 13, 2014
An implausible, but wonderfully entertaining story.
½ March 19, 2014
Natural tale of vampire. Fresh, touch and brutal. Pretty good!
½ March 17, 2014
A largely pedestrian and predictable contemporary vampire story.
March 1, 2014
This is an original vampire movie__it's a good and realistic story if really would happened like a sickness.
½ December 18, 2013
Scott Leberecht should be commended for his ability to turn a low budget independent flick into somewhat of a surprise success, and Zak Kilberg deserves to be recognized for what should be his breakout performance. I say SEE IT!!!
½ November 30, 2013
A complex character-driven drama that never gives too much away, and which captivates the viewer even as its pace slows to a crawl. The balance between mystery and offering clues about the plot is deftly handled, ensuring that the spectator remains ever on his toes, which allows the story to flow organically from the script. This makes it possible to forget that vampire fiction follows set narrative conventions, renewed and recreated in modern American media, to better reflect contemporary society and modern day value-systems. Midnight Son never veers too far away from traditional schemes and tropes, and the tricks and gimmicks it does use will be more than enough to satisfy any dyed-in-the-wool purists out there. The beauty of Midnight Son is we could care less about hard facts. The main spotlight is on the inner conflict of the characters and durability of the human spirit.
½ November 2, 2013
An above average entry in the "realistic vampire movie" genre. The standout here is Maya Parish.
October 19, 2013
What an amazing low budget film!
Poetic, simple and strong
September 23, 2013
A little slow to strt with, but actually a rather enjoyable film & worth a watch. Not a normal 'vampire' style straight away, which makes a nice change.
½ September 6, 2013
A bit of a different take on the genre but it doesn't quite gel & the end result is rather dull.
August 18, 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this film. Original and regrettably rare in the genre
½ August 9, 2013
if you're looking for a lot of action and killing, this is not the film for you. but if you're looking to appreciate the realisticness of turning into a vampire, you might like it. i would figure that this is probably how it would happen in real life. loved the ending.
½ July 7, 2013
This wasn't bad, they've tried to put a different spin on the usual vampire movie and added a little realism, treating it as more of a disease rather than something based in mythology. It's a good story, acting is so-so, but it'll keep your interest as it's unlike all of the other vampire clones out there.
June 15, 2013
100% better than twilight!
May 25, 2013
a great surprise, my Twilight history.
May 5, 2013
An extremely dark romantic horror film, Midnight Son takes an original approach to the vampire genre that is constantly surprising and always intelligently done. A film about addiction and the struggle to find love, Midnight Son is never cheesy and is actually fairly moving for a vampire romance.
½ April 26, 2013
It's not your typical in-your-face type of vampire movie. It's a different, subtle and yet very refreshing take on the genre. Definitely a must watch.