Midnight Clear Reviews

• Nov 28, 2018

"Midnight Clear" is a story about five different people all struggling emotionally for various reasons on Christmas Eve. Lefty is an alcoholic who has just lost his job. He also got kicked out of his house for not paying rent and is living in his car. This is extra difficult for him because it means he will not be allowed visitation with his children who now live with his ex-wife. Mary is a young mom with one son about ten years old. Her husband was in a car accident and has brain damage that requires him to live in a 24 hour care facility. It's very difficult for her and her son to visit with him because he doesn't speak and it's not clear if he even knows who they are. Kirk is a gas station/convenience store owner who feels trapped in a business that's going nowhere. He had dreams of selling his property one day and retiring on the income, but the property value never appreciated much. Eva is a lonely old woman estranged from her family and suffering from depression. Alone in her home on Christmas Eve, she contemplates overdosing on her prescription medication. Mitch is a high school ministry pastor at the local church. Mitch was good friends with Mary's husband and was with him the night of the crash that left him brain damaged. Mitch now feels remorseful for not visiting Mary's husband more frequently in the nursing home. As the story progresses, Mary ends up getting help repairing her car from Kirk the gas station owner. Mitch encounters the lonely old woman, Eve, when he takes the youth group caroling. He invites her to the Christmas Eve church service that starts late and continues to midnight. She declines the offer. Lefty trades some stolen items for a gun and contemplates suicide. In the end, we discover that Eva is Lefty's mom when he shows up at her house to reconnect after years of estrangement. Eva convinces Lefty to take her to church and on the way they stop at the gas station where Kirk is helping Mary fix her car. Lefty and Eva have some food they were going to donate at church but end up giving it to Mary, her son, and Kirk when they discover they are hungry. Mitch is surprised and encouraged when he sees Eva show up at church with her Son. Mary, her son, and Kirk enjoy their Christmas Eve meal donated by Lefty and Eve, sitting in folding chairs outside the gas station. This is not a joyous celebration kind of Christmas movie. This is a somber look at troubled emotions at Christmastime. These five stories are woven together in a way that gives consideration to the understanding that small changes can make an appreciable difference in someone's life. While the ending is satisfying, it can't be characterized as a happy ending. The tone presented at the end is more of an indication that life is a struggle, but there is hope.

• Dec 16, 2014

This should not be listed under Comedy - there was nothing funny about it.

This should not be listed under Comedy - there was nothing funny about it.

• Dec 24, 2013

A very touching film. A cynic would call it slow, but I thought it gentle. Not a lot happens, but what does is quite lovely.

• Dec 17, 2013

Engaging character-driven family flick.

Engaging character-driven family flick.

• Dec 10, 2012

There are a lot of things about this movie that should ruin it. For one thing, Stephen Baldwin. For another, it's ridiculously preachy. Also, it's really pretty depressing. But somehow, it held my interest anyway, and while I really can't say I loved it, I was pretty engrossed throughout most of it. It's a solid film, just not one that's necessarily enjoyable.

• Oct 10, 2012

Another Baldwin blunder.

Another Baldwin blunder.

• Jul 12, 2012

Baldwin's best performance ever. The movie is a six degrees on christmas.

Baldwin's best performance ever. The movie is a six degrees on christmas.

• Dec 28, 2011

This film adaptation from the short story of the same name suffers from a long opening introduction of 5 separate central characters that are going through different kind of difficulties, depressions, and are all experiencing loneliness during Christmas Eve. The movie is a bit boring at first as we are introduced to each character and their problems but as the film continues and the characters begin to connect with each other the film gets more interesting and the underlying message becomes clear. Midnight Clear is a great short story which when made into a full length film suffered from a few extensive scenes which are not that important in the movie. However the message in the film is not lost and after the first 30 minutes or so the characters begin to connect with each other and the message gets across. The main theme of the movie is that small acts of kindness however insignificant they can be could have a huge impact on other people’s lives and at the end that message gets across in the final scene when we see the youth pastor looking back at Eve with her son in Church. The storytelling is great and hooks you once these characters connect with each other and we see how small acts change the outcome of a life. We are used to seeing Christmas movies that focus on happiness, but this movie shows how for some people Christmas time can be difficult and lonely. The movie is sort of dark at the beginning but at the end it gives out a message of hope. I found the movie very enjoyable thanks to the good story and character development and unlike other films of this genre not too preachy or cheesy.

• Dec 27, 2011

I loved this! Maybe I'm feeling holiday sappy, but I just loved it. Reminds you how anything you do can affect so many more people, and many times you don't even know the changes you made possible.

• Dec 21, 2011

So you are looking for a non-traditional Christmas movie? You say you can take a little sadness (okay, a lot of sadness) as long as there is hope and redemption just around the bend? And you say that you really appreciate a film which features acting performances that are so good, that they make an average script sparkle? How about something that is currently available on Netflix Instant Viewing? Midnight Clear is your obvious choice. Check it out.