Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Reviews

½ October 11, 2016
The best Eastwood movie I have seen.
September 16, 2016
A murder mystery with elements of magic that kept me interested.
September 3, 2016
Lady Chablis is the best transgender actress.
½ February 26, 2016
Among the worst movies. Transcendentally terrible.
February 22, 2016
Another great movie in a long list of great movies from Director Clint Eastwood. A fascinating glimpse into Savannah high society.
½ January 3, 2016
Guilty of overstuff, Eastwood's adaptation of the novel is well acted and directed, but several elements, most prominently the voodoo, go nowhere or add to the themes of power, relationships and prejudice. Still, those elements don't entirely eclipse an engaging legal drama and a stellar performance from Spacey.
October 23, 2015
Quirky characters and a compelling storyline - what a nice change from the predictable stuff coming out these days.
½ October 10, 2015
Long and painfully dull (155 minutes).
September 1, 2015
8/15/15 We started watching this again and I almost immediately knew I had already seen it. From my memory, I remember thinking it sucked because nothing really happened. Rewatching about half an hour, it does a good job of character development because it makes you wonder what is going on with these characters. It does make you want to keep watching, but it's a long film to ultimately be disappointed in the end. 9/1/15 update; I did see the middle section of the movie again... I did enjoy all the character interaction. Chablis, the crossdressing black "woman" pretty much makes the film. There are some funny parts with her and she keep it entertaining. Ultimately, there are still not too many surprises with the story. The book is probably extremely boring, but they did their best to make the story entertaining. It's just not there though.
½ June 22, 2015
Loved the book, hated the movie.
½ June 2, 2015
Clint Eastwood superbly visualizes the warm, Southern gothic setting, complete with, fascinating, oddball local color. Unfortunately, these elements, as entertaining as they are, can only take the film so far.

The actors are all generally strong, though Kevin Spacey often straddles the line of believability in realizing his decidedly over-the-top, rich southern gentleman. Even more of an issue, however, is the awkward manner in which tonal and genre shifts occur: grim murder mystery to absurd comedy of manners to "Doc Holiday-esque" fish-out-of-water to courtroom drama. It's all too muddled and clumsily handled. There's even a pointless romantic plot with the protagonist that the audience has no use for, thrown in for good measure. Ultimately, Clint could save 35 minutes without this distraction and make this a tighter, two-hour jaunt.

Entertaining atmosphere and leads, but script and director need to try harder to reign in the jumble of tones. It seems as though the filmmakers in question are going for the whole "Hey! Look at this wackiness!! Can you believe this is all based on true events??" [The book on which this movie is based makes use of a real court case]
May 10, 2015
One of my least favorite Eastwood directed movie but Spacey is up to his usual high standard.
April 18, 2015
southern efficiency = slow movie with no payoff
April 6, 2015
This a great movie and I love to "revisit" some of the Savannah great sightseeing.
½ March 20, 2015
Awful movie.The tranny,the guy with the flies,what the fuck...Only good thing is the title.
February 28, 2015
A rather boring fish out of water murder trial story
February 22, 2015
I am so surprised at the low ratings! I loved the book, and loved the movie. Full of quirky characters that you can love or hate. The movie just evocates a part of Savannah, that I am desperate to enjoy! The acting is charming, the story is arresting, and I'm not sure what the haters are up to. Totally worth a rental on a Saturday night, and hope you will invest in the book as well!
February 14, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW......WOW.....WHAT A MOVIE......I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH.....ITS GOT A GOOD CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......I think that kevin spacey, john cusack, jude law, Alison eastwood, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....I think that the start of this movie/ the grave yard scenes throughout this movie were really creepy/atmospheric but they were so brilliant throughout this movie.....

Production

Principal photography began in spring 1997, and was shot in Savannah, Georgia. The film featured a cameo by Uga V, the English bulldog live mascot of the University of Georgia, playing his father, Uga IV. The Uga mascots live in Savannah between football games

Reception

Reviews of the film were mixed, with a score of 47% on Rotten Tomatoes. Casting in the film was praised, however, for Spacey's likeness to Williams.

The film was a box office bomb, grossing $25.1 million to an estimated $30 million budget.

Spacey won the best supporting actor award from the Society of Texas Film Critics.

man this is such a really good comedy movie 2 watch, its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......I think that kevin spacey was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie.....I think that this is such an entertaining movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie......
½ January 23, 2015
This film could have been so much more but I just did not much about the characters despite the good actors such as Kevin Spacey, Jude Law & Jack Thompson underwhelming at best