A Mighty Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Mighty Heart Reviews

January 10, 2014
Jolie does a great performance, but equally impressive is the portrayal of the Pakistani police that works very hard to get results, and the city Karachi itself in its chaotic sense making it even clearer how difficult it is to do any kind of investigation.
November 29, 2013
Not a bad movie.
A little boring but overall ok.
September 21, 2013
The situation in that time seemed to be, everyone having a sense of personal danger, which Daniel Pearl embodied for everybody. I mean, important U. S. officials, Pakistan ministers, the terrorists also, and there was a lot of collateral damage. If any U. S. citizen had experienced what the Pakistani citizen had, in the movie, they would have killed the person subjecting them to the behavior, citing the Second U. S. Amendment, and it would have been upheld by the U. S. Supreme Court, as a justifiable act of self defense. The U. S. govt. is careful, because people have the right to be armed, and the President is expected to step down if there is general agreement. I seriously feel, that it is disenfranchising, when a highly qualified journalist who lives a life to be dedicated in the pursuit of journalism, can be what she or he isn't in the U. S.. If the situation had been similar in the U. S., the journalists who cover the news would have done the same thing, but.... .
½ September 20, 2013
Just not the thing for me in the sense of movie.
½ September 16, 2013
Jolie is a slight distraction from one of the most perfect demonstrations I've seen of how to build tension in a film. Winterbottom puts on a clinic, which is especially impressive given that the outcome was a forgone conclusion. My guts were in a vice for 90% of this. I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.
September 5, 2013
I'm not her biggest fan, but Angelina Jolie was robbed of an Oscar nomination.
August 14, 2013
"A Mighty Heart" treats its subject and source material with precision. Though it feels occasionally stalling, the film still deals with the reality of the situation and is done rewarding favours by a remarkably emotionally strong performance by Angelina Jolie.
August 11, 2013
Heart breaking story and Jolie is just stripped down in her true to heart character.
½ May 21, 2013
Very moving. I enjoyed it immensely. Angelina did an incredible job conveying the deep pits of despair that Mariann must have felt...
May 18, 2013
Different/Just OK/Not bad/Didn't really like.
½ April 9, 2013
Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, could have been a disaster: cheap, movie-of-the-week-style exploitation of a sensational kidnapping and highly publicized killing. Instead, British director Michael Winterbottom and a fine cast headed by Angelina Jolie crafted an intricate policier that's both suspenseful and thoughtful about the turmoil surrounding Pearl's disappearance and the importance of what he and other journalists were attempting to do in what had become one of the most dangerous places on earth.

January 23, 2002: While most foreign journalists have already left Karachi, Pakistan, in the wake of the U.S. war against the Taliban, Daniel Pearl (Dan Futterman), the Journal's South Asia bureau chief, and his pregnant wife, French public-radio reporter Mariane Pearl (Jolie), remain behind at the home of their friend and colleague, Asra Nomani (Archie Panjabi). Pearl is following a lead he hopes will take him to Sheikh Syed Mubarak Ali Gilani, an Islamist cleric who may be tied to so-called "shoe bomber" Richard Reid. Through a series of intermediaries, contacts and a mysterious "fixer" named "Bashir" (Aly Khan), a meeting between Pearl and Gilani is arranged at a Karachi restaurant. But unbeknownst to Pearl, Gilani isn't even in Karachi; the rendezvous is a carefully laid trap. When he fails to return home and calls to his cell phone go unanswered, Mariane begins to worry. The following morning, she contacts the police. As the fear that Danny has been kidnapped becomes a terrible likelihood, Asra's house fills with police, Journal colleagues, FBI agents, representatives from the U.S. consulate's Diplomatic Security Service, and Pakistani law-enforcement officers, including the head of the Crime Investigation Department's counterterrorism group (played by THE NAMESAKE's superb Irrfan Khan), who is determined not to allow a pack of insane kidnappers soil his country's honor. Several days later, a series of disturbing e-mails and photographs are sent to U.S. newspapers: Pearl is shown handcuffed with a gun to his head, the prisoner of terrorists who accuse him of spying for the CIA. It's a ridiculous accusation, but Mariane prays the kidnappers don't know the one thing that will surely get him killed in a culture warped by anti-Semitic disinformation: Daniel Pearl is Jewish.

A MIGHTY HEART is in many ways a companion piece to Winterbottom's previous film, THE ROAD TO GUANTANAMO, which followed the ordeal of three Englishmen of Pakistani descent who were accused of being enemy fighters in Afghanistan and held without trial at Guantanamo Bay's notorious Camp X Ray. Winterbottom shows the way reports of such abuses helped fuel the anti-American rage in terrorists like Pearl's murderers, and the film is a fitting tribute to Pearl and other journalists who died trying to explain the turmoil, hatred, corruption and confusion to the rest of the world, a chaos reflected in cinematographer Marcel Zyskind's footage of Karachi. Though absurdly criticized for being too "white" to play Mariane Pearl, Jolie gives an excellent performance. She portrays Mariane as gutsy, smart, passionate and highly efficient in the search for her husband, though brown contact lenses lend her expression a dead-eyed stare that's at complete odds with the spark evident in Mariane Pearl's face even during her darkest days.
½ February 6, 2013
A slow start to this film makes it harder to get into, especially given the heavy nature of the events covered here. There is a low level of sentimentality played out here, snippets of flashbacks Mariane has throughout the film provide a surface level history of the couple's relationship but you never really see the connection or the personalities. This cannot be avoided however as the film and the real life events are so heavily shrouded in politics, race and religion, covering too much in this film would make it feel too wide spread.

The last half of this film is brilliant. The tension mounts and the already stable and wonderful performances reach their peak. Jolie I am surprised to say does a wonderful job in portraying Mariane and I thoroughly enjoyed her performance, especially the scene where she learns of her husband's beheading/ death, it brought a lump to my throat with her raw and honest reaction.

It is a brilliant film, its story and characters are interesting, and because it is a true story it is tragic to watch yet it has a sense of hope to it also. This is a powerful film that touches a nerve.
½ February 3, 2013
I guess if you pay attention to the news, you know how it ends. This is the story of what happens behind the scenes from the wifes POV. Umm, it was pretty tense and flew for a 2 hour movie, but I couldn;t keep track of any of the bad guys and keep them seperate from who they all were. Confusing a bit!
½ January 27, 2013
God bless his family.
January 24, 2013
I was glad to see Pakistan and what its people were like. After studying the country, I have wondered what kind of place it really is and this gave me a good idea. I do remember this story in the headlines, and was glad to see that it showed how Mariane looked at and accepted the bigger picture and not just the tragic aspect. I am reluctant to give Jolie and the film the credit however, considering it was not very compelling and I found myself half heartedly watching it.
January 22, 2013
This isn't even a summer movie! Get out of my multiplex! And make another terrible Tomb Raider movie Jolie (yep, I'm going to cinema Hell).
½ January 20, 2013
Post-September 11th and based on the true story of American journalist Daniel Pearl this is a dramatic and emotional movie, probably one of the Angelina Jolies' best performances.
January 12, 2013
It's not a bad film if you're just looking for a reconstruction of what happened. But you can watch a documentary for that. The film was advertised as a portrayal of how Daniel Pearl's pregnant wife Marianne (also a journalist in Pakistan) dealt with the situation. But it's anything but.
December 20, 2012
It's a procedural flick, but is heightened by a sense of urgency and Jolie's dramatic-performance that showed she was more than just a rockin' bod, and perfect lips (and the men know what I'm talking).
December 15, 2012
Story was OK, but nothing worth loving.