Milano Calibro 9 (Caliber 9) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Milano Calibro 9 (Caliber 9) Reviews

June 18, 2016
Italialaiset ovat lähes aina osanneet leffan visuaalisen ja musiikin tyylittelyn. Juoni on käytännössä aina ollut toissijainen. Lisäksi, välillä tuntuu, että henkilöohjaukseen ei panosteta riittävästi. Kohtausten dialogit ovat usein naiveja ja hahmot jotenkin ylinäyteltyjä. Liekö tarkotuksellista vaiko tahatonta. Vai johtuisiko tämä tuntemus sittenkin leffojen surkeasta dubbauksesta.
December 18, 2015
Gastone Moschin ("The Godfather, Part II") gets out of jail and is immediately confronted by a violent former associate (Mario Adorf) who accuses of him of having stolen and hidden money that belongs to violent mob boss the Americano (Lionel Stander). A violent and suspenseful crime thriller that has Moschin weaving a path between his former associates and a police commissioner (Frank Wolff), all of whom believe he's hiding the money. A great example of just how good these Italian crime films can be.
January 9, 2015
The first of Di Leo's so called 'Milan Trilogy'. Mario Adorf is the balls as Rocco but it is Philippe Leroy who is the Daddy as Chino. One hard cunt. A serious twitch off Barbara Bouchet and a decent soundtrack from Bacalov.
½ May 20, 2013
Il film ha dei chiaroscuri, da una parte abbiamo un finale molto interessante, pieno di colpi di scena e dall'altra pero' abbiamo 1h di film dove non e' che accada molto, anche se le scene d'azione non mancano. C'e' anche una parte piu' politica, dove il regista espone la contrapposizione tra i poteri forti (chi detiene i soldi) e i poveracci che sono quasi costretti a rubare, dove si espone la tesi che i veri malfattori sono coloro che portano i soldi all'estero e non chi per fame e' costretto a migrare e magari anche a rubare. Non entro nel merito delle parole, contesto solo il fatto che tutto si riduca a lunghi "spiegoni" con dialoghi fin troppo chiari e che questa visione del regista non e' calata in modo organico all'interno del film.
March 24, 2013
Fantastic Italian crime caper.
½ June 17, 2012
Nothing spectacular but a decent 'B' gangster movie. The end of the movie can be guessed at but still may offer some surprise.
February 20, 2012
This was my first exposure to Fernando Di Leo's catalog, and I really dug it quite a bit for a film filled with actors that I had never heard of before, none of whom are all that 'matinee idol' looking, which is a nice change of pace for a film to not look like it's completely made in the Hollywood cookie cutter system.

Italy in the '70s made some really enjoyable films of this sort and I'd say that this one is a great jumping on point for other novices like myself.

Rental.
½ February 15, 2012
Milano Calibro 9 possesses an amazing soundtrack, a really tight and solid story, amazing dialoge, and an amazing dynamic between Ugo Piazza (Gastone Moschin) and Rocco Musco (Mario Adorf.) Added to the mix is Nelly Bordon (Barbara Bouchet) as Ugo's go-go dancing girlfriend and confidant and Chino (Philippe Leroy) as Ugo's only friend and mafia hitman.

The movie is very spartan and rushes you along into the underworld of the Italian mob. Fernando di Leo doesn't waste time romanticizing about the mafia like Coppola does and instead presents you with a far better image of the mob, a gang of ruthless killers that will do anything for money. They claim to follow the rules of the mafia and respect each other but those rules are dropped whenever it is convenient and profitable.

Ugo Piazza has just gotten out of prison after serving a 3 year sentence and his former employers seem to think he has stole $300,000 from his boss, the Americano. Ugo is firm and unchanging in his story that he did not steal any money from his employers. The movie revolves around the $300,000 and everyone's quest to find that $300,000.

This is an excellent example of film noir as there are no good guys, just people with a varying degrees of morality. I strongly recommend this film.
November 28, 2011
Solid gangster movie, but I must have missed something because I didn't think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything.
September 5, 2011
Fast and lean and very very mean. A fantastic array of violent and untrustworthy characters and seedy crime ambiance. Also, some pretty great music.
½ August 17, 2011
This hard hitting Poliziotteschi [70's Italian crime/mob exploitation] film by my new favorite director Fernando Di Leo delivers the goods. Mafioso Ugo PIazza gets out of jail, only to find himself tormented by his former employers who are convinced he stole $300,000 from them, prior to incarceration. The police, a friendly former Don, and his pal, a bad ass hitman named Chino are unable to protect good ol' Ugo from a psychotic shifty eyed thug named Rocco and his boss. This is the first part of Di Leo's mafia trilogy, and while it doesn't boast the incredible campiness of the infamous Il Boss, aka Wipeout - Milano Calibro 9 makes up for it with superb, tight direction, plausible and unexpected twists, genuine suspense, and an excellent supporting cast. All the main cast have prolific careers in Italian cinema, and this film hold it's own among the gangster film genre's highest achievements.
½ August 2, 2011
A rare, gritty old school Italian crime film, where our hero is uglier than the tooth pick chewing, chain smoking scum bags. I knew I was going to enjoy it the minute one scar faced thug headbutts and spits on a pigeon that dared to land on his shoulder. Classic!
½ May 25, 2011
spaghetti gangster con una bellissima milano
½ May 22, 2011
If you're a cinemahead and sometimes your friends or peers give you an odd look when you almost climax over simply hearing the name of your favorite film or actor, we feel your pain. However, when it comes right down to it, sometimes we do damn near explode with ecstasy; this is the beauty of film, no? It's our first love and, excluding the pre-nup, I presume our relationship will still be hot 'n' heavy decades down the road. Case in point: Fernando Di Leo. I consider myself a massive fawkin' fan of Italian genre cinema--not an expert, but a stalkerish fan. I'm reading some articles on Lucio Fulci after re-watching his City of the Living Dead or Gates of Hell or any of the other 2o names it has, and like a bitch-slap from Andy Dick I see the name--for the first time--of Fernando Di Leo. I read words such as 'maestro' (like every Italian genre director), 'classic,' mafia,' 'crime-drama,' 'extremely influential.' I'm thinking: what the fawk? Where have you been all my life and why don't you call anymore? Apparently he is the auteur of the famous "Milieu Trilogy" about the Mafia in 70s Italy (who better to make a Mafia flick than an Ital?). They're harsh, un-glorified, and accompanied by incredible 70s guitar riffs. I may have fallen in love all over again...

The three films of the "Meliu Trilogy" are: Hired to Kill, Calibre 9, and The Boss. I was lucky enough to find Calibre 9 and Hired to Kill; however, like many Italian genre pieces, I was unable to score consistent English language tracks or reliable subtitles. Ya know what? Doesn't matter. It's all about style, operatic drama, and--of course--machismo (lots O' lots of machismo). Excuse me while I slick back my hair and adjust my tie to the beats of Luis Bacalov. Here. We. Fawkin'. Go.

Calibre 9 was like a bullet to my guts. The opening scene, pre-credits, depicts a package of money passing from hand to hand in Rome in order to avoid police detection. By the time our Mafioso's find the package the money's been replaced by paper. Well, it's not Argento or Fulci level violence, but the demise of the members involved in the money exchanges, let's say, meet an untimely death at the hands of a cave, rope, gags, and three packages of dynamite, which equals: DYN-O-MITE! Oh ya, there's an interesting snippet in a barbar shop involving a striaght razor and some dude's cheek. All in all, within 5 minutes, I'm hard as rock. This is before Bacalov's score kicks in for the opening credits, reminding me that the Italians know how to produce 'the epic'--a quality that tucks your balls into your stomach, while causing every hair to stand on end (bag and body...).

It's got lots of familiar faces too: Frank Wolff and Luigi Pistilli of spaghetti western fame; Gastone Moschin of Godfather II and The Conformist; and, it's my pleasure of introducing, Mr. Mario.... Adorf! The other guys we've seen before; Wolff, Pistilli, and Moschin are mostly bit players, but Adorf is like Di Leo's muse. He's got sort of a dirtbag appeal (yes, there is such thing), as he looks like a greased out, mustached, hard-as-fawk Guido. However, he gives the steely, stoic Moschin (the protagonist) a run for his money as the front-man of this film. Moschin plays a character out of Jean-Pierre Melville's world: strong, silent, and deadly. Adorf is more like Chaplin in a Mafia film (the voiceover certainly doesn't help...), yet somehow his 'over-the-top-ness' does not derail or distract from the serious, tense crime-drama that is Calibre 9. Adorf's is a rare screen charisma that one can't help but be attracted to. It's like Bronson, but the complete opposite.

So, the cast and style is all there, but what about the story Gramps? Is it on par with Zombie 2, Suspiria, and For a Few Dollars More? Well, on first viewing, no. "Well then why the fuck are you building it up like it's Christ on a cracker?" It's a solid, solid crime tale; it's the combination of cast, style, and story that make it a top contender Gangster (not Gangsta) flick. It's got that Italian bravado... that oozing machismo... that "OH! Go fuck ya Motha" attitude (by the way, Happy Mother's Day). Honor, respect, silence, and most importantly of all: false loyalty. Ahhh, everyone wants to be the boss, but Di Leo just proved to me that, minus Springsteen, he's my new boss of Italian genre cinema.

Shit, I forgot about Hired to Kill. Well, Adorf is given center stage and he kills (literally). Throw in Woody Strode with biceps like whole hams, and Adolfo Celi (yup, the bad guy from Thunderball) and you got yourself a stew goin'. It's not as good as Calibre 9, as it mixes American B-actors with the Italian faithful, and the plot feels Americanized in terms of it's action cliches. Again, the saving grace? Mario "The Grease Ball" Adorf! Another factor in this inferior offering in comparison to Calibre is the fact that I had the subtitled version and most of the cast is North American (well, at least the big players, and I think Adorf speaks English as well). So, Woody Strode just sounds and looks weird as hell with some Italian guy's voice. He's a B.M.F. but, presumably, some white guy's voice does him no justice. Still, I'm jacked for the final installment (whenever and wherever I may find it), The Boss!

Official Synopsis? Mafia Mayhem... Any questions?
½ March 20, 2011
After the popularity of the Spaghetti Western began to fall out of public favor the genre morphed into the Poliziotteschi crime thrillers. Taking inspiration from the gritty American films "The French Connection" and "Dirty Harry", Poliziotteschi films were basically Spaghetti Westerns modernized into the 70s. Horses became cars and revolvers became machine guns. Many of the spaghetti western predominate actors and filmmakers jumped into the new head on and one of these men was filmmaker Fernando Di Leo. Though he dabbled in the Spaghetti Western genre by writing a number of features he finally got to direct his dream project with "Caliber 9", the first of his "Milieu Trilogy" which would be followed by "The Italian Connection" and "The Boss". For my money his "Milieu Trilogy" is to the Poliziotteschi genre what Sergio Leone's "Man With No Name" trilogy was to the spaghetti western genre. It's a bold statement I know but most fans of the genre will agree that Fernando Di Leo directed the most respectable films the genre has to offer with "Caliber 9" being his crown achievement.

Gastone Moschin portrays Ugo, a Mafia hitman recently released from prison. As soon as he leaves the prison he gets hassled by goons from his old boss about 300,000 lira that he supposedly stole. On the other side he gets hassled by the cops to get them information on his old boss. He hooks up with his old girlfriend (Barbara Bouchet) and somehow gets hired by his old boss. Can he find the people that took the money before he gets nailed by his boss or the cops biting at his heels?

"Caliber 9" is not your average Poliziotteschi thriller as it is much more serious and character driven then most of the other popular films in the genre. The acting here is surprisingly excellent with not a weak actor in the bunch. The standouts for me are Mario Adorf as a skeezy hitman and Frank Wolff as an eccentric, loud police commissioner. I've seen Frank Wolff in dozens of these genre films and this is by far his best performance that I've witnessed.

Fernando Di Leo's directing style is a lot more restrained and less flashy than his director brethren. His approach is much more standard with the focus of the film being more on the intriguing characters and plot. To be honest I do prefer my Italian films to be me more flashy in the directing department hence why I'm such a big fan of Enzo G. Castellari's and Umberto Lenzi's crime outings but there's no denying Fernando's characters and plot are much stronger and intriguing making for a much better, respectable film.

I can't say I enjoyed "Caliber "9 more than other films in the genre like "Rome Armed to the Teeth" and "The Big Racket" because I didn't. I enjoyed those films for different reasons as they were more over-the-top with violence and action with dynamic directing with flashy camera angles. "Caliber 9" is more classy, elegant and respectable as it focuses more on characters, plot and all around good filmmaking. For that I give the film respect and that is why I say it is, arguably of course, the best film the genre has to offer... just not the most entertaining in my eyes.
November 24, 2010
Really good Italian gangster film (with a dubbed Max from Hart To Hart as the villain!!!).
July 6, 2010
one of the first italian crime films i ever saw, and it has stayed with me as one of the best even though i have seen quite a few now, anyone who's l;ooking to try out the genre i would highly recommend this as one of the first
March 31, 2010
Fernando Di Leo's '72 efficient mobster film is a real treat. Ambitious italian cinema: raw, testosterony and over the top, in a good way
March 18, 2010
Excellent Italian crime thriller!
March 14, 2010
Nice Italian crime flick with a great cast, especially Moschin's likeable anti-hero and the borderline psychotic Rocco (Mario Adorf). It probably wasn't the key thing back in the day, but watching this film now it just oozes of class. The film quality, sets and all look excellent, almost painting-like. The plot's nothing to write about, but the nice double-twist ending was a surprise and all in all it's probably a good starter for anyone when it comes to films like these.