Mildred Pierce - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mildred Pierce Reviews

March 16, 2016
The acting and production value of the time period are great. The story is madly upsetting doh and it doesn't help that all of the characters in this film are just people you can't possibly care for. The whole movie is just frustrating.
½ February 18, 2016
Plodding and histrionic at times. We get at age 13 that the girl is a monster. I spent six hours of my life on what could have been accomplished in 2, 2-½. No real payoff for the patient viewer.
May 27, 2015
Kate Winslet does her best, but this is adaptation of the novel is dull and lifeless. It's just not good. Give me the cheesy 1940's bitch slap movie over this dull exorcise anyway.
April 12, 2015
I wonderful trip to Depression era California, experienced through the life of an ambitious, young, and devoted Mother - Who like many women occasionally finds herself a willing "victim" of love & passion.
Spectacular acting, splendid costumes, and the writing reflects the period perfectly.
January 11, 2015
The noir-ishness gets diluted a bit, but it's done so by better characterization and thematic exploration.
½ October 27, 2014
good but no crawford
½ August 18, 2014
An exceedingly well made adaptation with uniformly fine performances and keen sense of time and place. The occasions when things drag a bit are redeemed by moments of brilliance which more than make up for a sometimes too studied approach to the story.
July 27, 2014
Mildred Pierce, the five-part HBO dramatization of the acclaimed novel, is a unique miniseries unlike any I've seen. Set in the depression era, it follows the rise and 'fall' of Mildred Pierce, an ambitious, independent woman, who finds herself starting a thriving business. All the while, she tries desperately to get the approval of those around her, namely her narcissistic, privileged, and highly manipulative daughter. It's a series that examines love, class divisions, social norms of the 30s, and our propensity for self delusion.

The execution of Mildred Pierce is an interesting one. The series took a while to become enthralling for me, as I was unsure of where the piece was going, caught off guard by some of the antiquated dialogue, and confused on what the film was trying to say. The beauty of this series, however, is that through the unfolding five parts, we see an organic transformation of the story and the characters. It feels ever so real, and, by the end, becomes completely absorbing.

As a character study, I found the series to be largely fascinating. The dynamic between Mildred and her daughter, Veda, is unlike any I've seen depicted. Veda's self-absorption is so over-the-top, it does occasionally border on unbelievable. Yet here we have characterization so uncomfortable, we can't help but confront it. Veda misconstrues everything around her, constantly looks for slights that don't exist, always trying to create a victim mentality despite having a privileged life and a devoted mother. The pains Mildred goes through for such approval is staggering, and heartbreaking. In the end, Veda's abhorrent behavior seemingly poisons those around her, leaving Mildred awash in betrayal and abandonment.

Overall, it's a series that deserves to be watched, and one that will undoubtedly leave an impression.

4/5 Stars
June 12, 2014
Enjoyed the story of the series so far. Didn't care for the gratuitous sex scenes, nor did I care for Evan Rachel Wood as Veda. I didn't care for the way she delivered her lines like a bad high school-level performance, and I kept being distracted from the film with thoughts of concern about her health as a person due to her having such a skeletal figure.
½ January 24, 2014
A fantastically acted miniseries.
January 18, 2014
The Joan Crawford version was pretty damned good but this longer excellent version examines the nuances of the story in much greater depth. Fundamentally it is a story of users and the used. The used (of which I am one) reason that if they are kind to people, their kindness will be reciprocated or at least acknowledged. Most people will do that. The user, or perhaps better described as those who feel entitled, see the used (self sacrificers) as existing only for their benefit and everything they are given is their just due. They look down on and even hold in contempt those they use. That the handsome Monty Beragon uses her is bad enough, but that she creates in her own daughter and nasty ingrate or epic proportions, who hates her mother for what she struggles to give her is perhaps the more frightening.
½ October 25, 2013
Having It All Would Cost Her Everything.
Californie, années 30. Mildred Pierce est une mère de famille dynamique qui ne supporte plus les infidélités de son mari, et le jette à la porte. Elle se retrouve à devoir assumer seule ses deux filles et décide de prendre un travail dans un petit restaurant. Très vite, elle acquiert une expérience, une ambition et une volonté d'indépendance qui vont lui faire ouvrir son propre établissement. Le succès est là, mais elle va également devoir entretenir son amant et gérer sa fille ainée, capricieuse, hautaine et dédaigneuse, qu'elle vénère pourtant par-dessus tout.
Mildred Pierce est une mini-série de la géniale HBO, diffusée dans différents formats (3 à 5 épisodes) selon le pays. En rôle-titre, nous retrouvons la tout aussi géniale Kate Winslet pour incarner cette femme moderne et volontaire, perdue entre son ambition professionnelle et son amour inconditionné pour une fille ingrate et manipulatrice. Il s'agit d'une adaptation apparemment très fidèle du roman du même nom, plus que le film de 1945 qui avait modifié la fin. Malgré quelques lenteurs, on suit assidument les succès et malheurs de Mildred, on est témoin de ses nombreux ébats sexuels de femme émancipée, de ses erreurs, de sa maladresse avec un amant qu'elle traite plus comme un gigolo, de son aveuglement quant à l'attitude générale de sa fille Veda (que vous adorerez détester ou que vous haïrez tout court !). A voir.
October 17, 2013
L'interpretazione straordinaria di Kate Winslet supera quella di Joan Crawford solo per aver dato al personaggio quel carattere forte e ambizioso che nell'adattamento del 1945 mancava. Grande miniserie, una delle migliori degli ultimi 10 anni! Scenografia e fotografia ottime, colonna sonora strappalacrime, costumi ben fatti, ottimo cast (Winslet, Pearce, Wood, Leo, Byrne, LeGros), splendida sceneggiatura e grande regia (Haynes)!
August 15, 2013
Soberbo filme-serie da Hbo!
August 13, 2013
an emotional, powerful story. well structured and focused on the detail and the emotion of the story. Todd Haynes has been one of my favorite directors of all time since his masterpiece "Far from Heaven". this film is, in a way, similar to it in its melodramatic storytelling and its performances. Kate Winslet is superb in the role, literally mesmerizing us and hypnotically bringing us back to the great depression through her performance. yeah, its a long miniseries, but if you're like me who has patience for long movies, then you'll have a good time watching this.
August 2, 2013
Mildred Pierce is astonishing, beautiful, magnificent. And Kate Winslet is a marvel, at one of the best of her career.
July 26, 2013
I have yet to view the beloved 1945 Crawford's version which awarded her a Best Actress Oscar for her work in the title role. Kate Winslet gives a stunning performance in this 5 part mini series. Her performance in the HBO's captivating version is terrific and mesmerising. Around her, director Todd Haynes has assembled a stellar cast, Guy Pearce is ideal as that cad and Melissa Leo as her close supporting friend/neighbour.The initial part of the series, the story took its time to established its main characters, it starts to build and crest at the the second hour and then finally weaving its spell throughout the entire series. The climactic awakening takes a shocking turn but it takes its sweet time getting there hence it is not for impatient viewers. Haynes came in for some criticism for its leisurely pacing but who cares, it was vital to the story. This was set in California in the time of the deep economic Great Depression, and I must say I love the sets and costumes of that era.
½ June 29, 2013
I really liked this film for its visuals, especially the sets and the costumes. However, I found it a bit lacking in character depth and development. Especially with Mildred's relationship with Monty and Veda, I just felt like there were too many repeated beats.
½ March 8, 2013
Todd Haynes is pretty amazing. Sure it's 6 hours of Sirk-ian melodrama, but it's worth it.
January 25, 2013
The great Kate Winslet done a priceless performance. And Todd Haynes directed this miniseries very well!