Milk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Milk Reviews

½ June 10, 2016
Empowering and never preachy, "Milk" highlights a fearless and influential human rights figure with a movie that holds a genuine indie-drama nuance.
½ May 19, 2016
Very historically accurate and well performed by Penn and others.
May 15, 2016
The acting was incredible, although the movie seemed too much like a series of countless 1-3 minute scenes after another. No scene really stuck with me too much. But actor after actor delivered - specifically Sean Penn, Emile Hirsch and James Franco. To be honest, however, I do not get the hype about Josh Brolin's performance - seemed mediocre to me.
½ April 27, 2016
A smart, well-spoken, brilliant input on the overcoming of bigotry that took place in the 70s, and a lesson in the bigotry that is still present today. Milk is a powerful film based on the life and politics of Harvey Milk. As uplifting as it is heart-wrenching, this film is beautifully directed, filmed, and acted. Sean Penn provides us with by far his greatest performance of his expansive career. Milk is an essential watch for everyone in the world, and allows us to see that we, as a society, must be equal. Equality is key to a kind, loving, and powerful town, state, nation, and world. Milk perfectly outlines that that is what we must do to achieve greatness in our a community. A near perfect political drama.
½ April 11, 2016
powerful and emotional with great directorial taste
½ April 4, 2016
Meticulous powerhouse performance by Penn and outstanding direction that keeps the film moving briskly
March 30, 2016
A career performance from Sean Penn in a film that works as both a biopic and a chronicle of a political revolution. Josh Brolin gives a low key performance that leads to a harrowing, emotional climax and a beautiful ending.
½ March 14, 2016
Sean Penn delivers a powerhouse performance and the movie is fascinating from start to finish. I really enjoyed and was moved by it. Raises important questions and teaches audiences about an important story.
March 9, 2016
Following in the footsteps of such great film biopics as Gandhi (1982), Malcolm X (1992) and Michael Collins (an underrated gem from 1993), Milk is one of the boldest, most daring, important, and downright entertaining films ever committed to celluloid. Sean Penn is absolutely riveting as the slain political activist. This is, to steal a quote from Woodrow Wilson, "like writing history with lightening."
February 19, 2016
Based on the incredible true story, "Milk" dissects the life of politician Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man elected to public office. The film really drives home the point that no obstacle can't be conquered if you're passionate about it.

Sean Penn's performance is an acting masterpiece as the movie is exclusively on the weight of his shoulders. Not only does he turn in a fantastic performance, but the surrounding cast is equally on par making "Milk" a great film about one of the most underrated stories in American politics.
February 3, 2016
Another great performance by Penn makes this true story worth the watch.
½ January 11, 2016
Well acted decent movie and being based on true events makes it even better.
½ January 9, 2016
THIS IS A REBOOT OF A REVIEW I WROTE BACK IN 2008

An outstanding production in every respect, "Milk" is one of the best films I've seen in the last few years. Sean Penn gives a brilliant and Oscar winning performance as Harvey Milk, a gay activist in the 1970's who became California's first openly gay elected official. Directed by Gus Van Sant ("My Own Private Idaho", "Good Will Hunting"), the film follows Milk from his move from New York to San Francisco in the early 1970's; his election as City Supervisor and his battle with the religious conservative right; and ultimately his untimely death at the hands of fellow City Supervisor Dan White.

The attention to detail in this film is amazing, skillfully blending the actors and action with those of actual news footage from the period. Penn is surrounded by an amazing supporting cast including Josh Brolin as Dan White, James Franco as Milk's long time boyfriend Scott Smith and young Emile Hirsch in a stand out performance of the gay activist Cleve Jones.
½ January 7, 2016
Based on the true story of Harvey Milk, Sean Penn delivers a masterful performance. The story is sad and moving and Penn and the rest of the cast. The script is so good and really carries Milk swiftly till the tragic ending.
December 14, 2015
This movie reminds me of my friend Nic hmmmmm wonder y that is
½ December 13, 2015
The film around him is above average, but Sean Penn's brilliant, against-type performance is what makes this film special. He's jovial, silly and gentle in this movie and seeing the macho man reveal a sensitive side was refreshing and unique. Josh Brolin's character turn was a satisfying surprise and the story was inspiring.
December 12, 2015
Ranks among Van Sant's finest while Penn's performance ranks among the finest of all time.
November 29, 2015
Sean Penn Totally deserved His Oscar win Harvey Milk was a great man and I could not recommend this movie enough for people to discover how he impacted Unite state history for the better.
½ November 27, 2015
karena terinspirasi kisah nyata, Penn bagus banget memerankan karakternya. Sayang, james franco dapet peran yang ga terlalu lama.. hehe..
November 26, 2015
An Oscar winning performance.