Milk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Milk Reviews

March 9, 2016
Following in the footsteps of such great film biopics as Gandhi (1982), Malcolm X (1992) and Michael Collins (an underrated gem from 1993), Milk is one of the boldest, most daring, important, and downright entertaining films ever committed to celluloid. Sean Penn is absolutely riveting as the slain political activist. This is, to steal a quote from Woodrow Wilson, "like writing history with lightening."
February 19, 2016
Based on the incredible true story, "Milk" dissects the life of politician Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man elected to public office. The film really drives home the point that no obstacle can't be conquered if you're passionate about it.

Sean Penn's performance is an acting masterpiece as the movie is exclusively on the weight of his shoulders. Not only does he turn in a fantastic performance, but the surrounding cast is equally on par making "Milk" a great film about one of the most underrated stories in American politics.
February 3, 2016
Another great performance by Penn makes this true story worth the watch.
½ January 11, 2016
Well acted decent movie and being based on true events makes it even better.
½ January 9, 2016
THIS IS A REBOOT OF A REVIEW I WROTE BACK IN 2008

An outstanding production in every respect, "Milk" is one of the best films I've seen in the last few years. Sean Penn gives a brilliant and Oscar winning performance as Harvey Milk, a gay activist in the 1970's who became California's first openly gay elected official. Directed by Gus Van Sant ("My Own Private Idaho", "Good Will Hunting"), the film follows Milk from his move from New York to San Francisco in the early 1970's; his election as City Supervisor and his battle with the religious conservative right; and ultimately his untimely death at the hands of fellow City Supervisor Dan White.

The attention to detail in this film is amazing, skillfully blending the actors and action with those of actual news footage from the period. Penn is surrounded by an amazing supporting cast including Josh Brolin as Dan White, James Franco as Milk's long time boyfriend Scott Smith and young Emile Hirsch in a stand out performance of the gay activist Cleve Jones.
½ January 7, 2016
Based on the true story of Harvey Milk, Sean Penn delivers a masterful performance. The story is sad and moving and Penn and the rest of the cast. The script is so good and really carries Milk swiftly till the tragic ending.
December 14, 2015
This movie reminds me of my friend Nic hmmmmm wonder y that is
½ December 13, 2015
The film around him is above average, but Sean Penn's brilliant, against-type performance is what makes this film special. He's jovial, silly and gentle in this movie and seeing the macho man reveal a sensitive side was refreshing and unique. Josh Brolin's character turn was a satisfying surprise and the story was inspiring.
December 12, 2015
Ranks among Van Sant's finest while Penn's performance ranks among the finest of all time.
November 29, 2015
Sean Penn Totally deserved His Oscar win Harvey Milk was a great man and I could not recommend this movie enough for people to discover how he impacted Unite state history for the better.
½ November 27, 2015
karena terinspirasi kisah nyata, Penn bagus banget memerankan karakternya. Sayang, james franco dapet peran yang ga terlalu lama.. hehe..
November 26, 2015
An Oscar winning performance.
November 14, 2015
So fucked up but in revolutions.
October 18, 2015
Would very much like to see this movie, especially since it's based on true events that have happened!
½ October 9, 2015
In June 2015, the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage nationwide. Having watched the movie, I realize that the fight against prejudice has been long until the US Supreme Court's rule though it may not be end of the fight. There many movies which deal with gays but sometimes it's not easy for straight people to empathize with gays and I guess this has been one of the reasons which make the human right problems difficult to be solved. Gus Van Sant who spend 15 years to realize the movie depict not only gay world but also their fight for other minorities and their problems on private/business priorities so that wider range of people can emphasize with gays. Gus Van Sant being a gay himself probably knows how to get understanding not only theoretically but also emotionally. Director Lisa Cholodenko also takes the same approach in 'The Kids Are Alright' by depicting family which is important both for strait people and gays. I believe art which deals with emotions plays important role in solving this kind or human right problem by complementing theories.
½ September 12, 2015
Another Oscar-Bait biography. Luckily Sean Penn is an absolute revelation as San Francisco politician Harvey Milk.
September 1, 2015
A beautiful and compelling film.
August 24, 2015
I had to cry myself out when he said ??Somebody cover up Lady Liberty!??
Hail America!
August 20, 2015
Should've been required viewing for everyone!
½ August 20, 2015
"A gay man with power? Now that's dangerous."

Milk is an incredibly moving portrait of a brave man who had a sad ending. The film is a testament to men like Harvey and they couldn't have found a better man to play him than Sean Penn.