Miller's Crossing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miller's Crossing Reviews

May 3, 2016
A Coen Brothers classic about an old-school gang war. The best Neo-Noire movie in the past 30 years.
½ April 28, 2016
Solid character study of mob types - witty, slyly humorous, and very intelligent, and the audience knows more than the characters.
Brilliant.
But no flash or pizzazz, except for the set pieces which are almost mesmerizing, and perfectly done.
Everything made sense in the end - it needed just one good twist, surprise, or even scare, but solid and complete for what is here.
Worthy.

3.5 fedoras out of 5
½ April 27, 2016
Brilliant - the first sign of the Coen Brothers' genius for film-making.

Tom Reagan (played by Gabriel Byrne) is the right-hand man, and chief adviser, to a mob boss, Leo (Albert Finney). Trouble is brewing between Leo and another mob boss, Johnny Caspar (Jon Polito), over the activities of a bookie, Bernie Bernbaum (John Turturro) and Leo and Tom are at odds on how to deal with it. Meanwhile, Tom is in a secret relationship with Leo's girlfriend, Verna (Marcia Gay Harden), who happens to be the sister of Bernie. In trying to resolve the issue, Tom is cast out from Leo's camp and ultimately finds himself stuck in the middle between several deadly, unforgiving parties.

Fantastic storytelling from Joel and Ethan Coen. Clever, complex plot. Good ramping up of the intrigue, tension and claustrophobia as the movie goes on. You can feel how Tom is being hemmed in from all sides and how no matter which way he turns somebody is going to be out to kill him.

Some good comedic moments too.

Wonderful camerawork and cinematography. The forest scenes are particularly beautiful and haunting. The score helps there too.

Great performances all round. Gabriel Byrne gets the icy coolness and wise cracking of Tom down perfectly, like he was Humphrey Bogart and this was a Sam Spade/Micky Spillane movie. The other standout performance is John Turturro as Bernie - his under-pressure hysterics are something to behold.

A wonderful modern film noir-type movie, and who better to do it than the Coen Brothers. Until this movie they had shown, with Blood Simple and Raising Arizona, that they could make good movies, but there was a spark of genius missing. With this, their third movie, they showed they could make GREAT movies, movies that were incredible works of art. And it didn't end here. After this they would scale even greater heights with movies that rank among some of the best the world has ever seen - The Big Lebowski, Fargo and No Country for Old Men.
½ April 7, 2016
It's story is messy and uneven but the Coen brothers direction, cinematography, and finely tuned dialogue makes up for this.
Grade: B-
½ March 30, 2016
I've never been one for mobster/gangster movies but this transcends the genre in a way only a Cohen brothers movie could. The screenplay is excellently crafted with dialogue that is almost a poetic homage to the gangster movies of golden age cinema. There is laugh out loud moments and pathos and every performance is pitch perfect. Fantastic film.
March 28, 2016
great actors however the film is a major yawn. Way way too much talking about items of no interest.
March 25, 2016
The film has style and A story so grand words can't describe how good it is. The characters are awesome and so is this film
March 10, 2016
Great Little Mob Movie, Coen Brother's Style....
½ March 9, 2016
A gangster film for the ages is actually a homage to the B movies of days gone by, before The Godfather upped the ante and changed the game. Snappy dialogue and seedy bottom dwellers you wouldn't trust with the gum on your shoe highlight this effort wherein everybody smokes and drinks (they ain't got time to eat, like in The Godfather), everybody's looking for an angle to play. Marcia Gay Hardin and Albert Finney are absolutely superb.
½ March 4, 2016
Let's start with the positives, the way Miller's Crossing is made is flawless, the cinematography is seamless, the performances are stellar, the costume design and art direction is pitch perfect, the movie is very well made.
But this slick and sharp movie does not have an narrative magnet to interest us and get us through the movie, i just watched it and i couldn't describe what the movie's actually about, things happened, people got killed, the end. Nothing much really happens where we as audience members care much about the storyline. A handful of characters are instantly, slowly or barely introduced throughout the movie, at least a dozen that have some role, but not a single one you care about nor do you understand completely what they are doing and why they are there. (With an exception to Bernie beautifully portrayed by John Turturro)

All in all Miller's Crossing is a well-made film, but the narrative is far from compelling to pull is through this movie experience and it never fully convinces in terms of either period or plot, but it sure has its moments, and when they land, they flourish
February 28, 2016
I think you have to see this, a good opening to the average 90s.
February 18, 2016
One of the smartest movies, with its perfect screenplay
February 14, 2016
Possibly my favourite of the Coens' work. One of the best neo-noir works in the genre, up there with Roman Polanski's 'Chinatown' and Rian Johnson's 'Brick'. There's no other film like it.
February 12, 2016
Very stylish, great dialogue
February 1, 2016
Another Coen classic.
½ January 30, 2016
A damn attractive and focused movie, the Coens nimbly play off of the noir genre, which works both as a fascinating drama and an amusing comedy.
January 24, 2016
85%
Saw this on 24/1/16
This is one of the better Coen brothers film's and it didn't make me feel disappointed in the end or regret that I saw this like many of their films such as The Big Lebowski and No Country for Old men. Coen brothers are all style over substance and most of the time, the comedy in their films doesn't make me laugh even for a second, however, it's not the case with Miller's crossing. The best thing about the film is it's background score and the cinematography is not as good as they say it is. It's dialogues are sharp and few of the characters are memorable.
½ December 31, 2015
The cast and the dialogue are perfect! The story is not as airtight as usual but an almost perfect gangster film nonetheless! Great job by the Coen brothers!
½ December 28, 2015
I kind of knew I would not be invested in it as I thought but at least the overall plot was not bad. Not my kind of movie and surprisingly the pacing was too slow for me.