Million Dollar Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Million Dollar Baby Reviews

May 20, 2017
Clint Eastwood stars and directs this 'brutal' boxing film from 2004 that won him an Oscar.
I say brutal in the sense that the boxing choreography is so realistic. Franchises like Rocky/Creed take note.
Eastwood plays boxing trainer Frankie Dunn. The best cuts man in the business he is described early on.
Dunn compares favouribly with other notable Eastwood characters from film history such as Harry Callaghan and The Man With No Name.
In this film his character eventually concedes to the pressure from female boxing hopeful Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) and trains her.
Theoughout the film there is a rather annoying (in my opinion) presence and narration by Morgan Freeman as ex-boxer Eddie.
Eastwood has a commanding presence as in all his great films that really adds strength to the film.
When watching the end credits I even noticed him being credited for the music?
A film that has slipped under the radar for many I am sure but one which I recommend a viewing.
May 7, 2017
Hillary Swank is not everyone's cup of tea for sure but if you can tolerate her face then this is a great movie to watch.
April 23, 2017
Clint Eastwood directed a masterpiece. Million Dollar Baby is an incredible film that has excellent performances an impressive direction and a perfect and touching story.
½ April 14, 2017
I'm not much for 'sports' movies, but this has enough drama and story and excellent actors and characters to make it a great movie!
April 9, 2017
Hilary Swank was perfect for this role. She plays a dirt poor girl fighter who desperately needs a trainer. Then she convinces one to train her. I enjoyed it very much until the ending. It shouldn't have lasted so long. I'd have cut about 15 minutes off.
½ April 9, 2017
Man this was good. What took me so long to watch it?
April 6, 2017
One of the best boxing movies and one of the best movies of the 21st Century.
½ April 2, 2017
racist movie: there are two bad guys and as if by chance, they are both black ... No surprise comming from the racist "republican" Clint Eastwood
March 26, 2017
The most depressing movie I've ever seen.
March 23, 2017
Clint Eastwood directs what seems like a well made, but conventional boxing film for the first half, but I suddenly turns into a much deeper film that looks at how people deal with loss and how tragic events can eventually come back to haunt someone
½ February 28, 2017
It's much darker than "Rocky," but it can't help but feel like an echo of that film.
February 20, 2017
Great movie Clint Eastwood is an Unbelievable actor. What a great cast.
February 19, 2017
Thought the boxing was much more realistic in this film than in Cinderella Man, but I wasn't as moved by the story. Overall, I really liked the film and think anyone should go see it.
February 12, 2017
Outstanding character study and extremely well played movie but its controversial ending really hampers this movie to be an absolute triumph.
December 29, 2016
I would rather be forced to ride a Segway through a four-year-old's funeral while dressed as Chewbacca than put myself through this again.
½ December 15, 2016
Amazing film. The first half was great but then it stepped up a level. So much heart. Clint Eastwood and Morgan freeman had great chemistry together! A much watch
December 4, 2016
Million Dollar Baby is directed by Clint Eastwood, and it stars Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood, and Morgan Freeman in a boxing film about Maggie (Hilary Swank) that wants to be a boxer and wants to be trained by Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood), but he doesn't want to train her because he doesn't train girls. When he sucks it up, he'll help her for whatever he can for her to be at the top. I remember this being one of the films that I wanted to see for years, but there was no way that I could watch it unless I buy it, and I didn't want to because I don't know whether the film is good or not. All of a sudden however, I got to record the film from DirecTV when I saw it, and finally got the chance to watch it, and it lived up to the hype for me. Hilary Swank is terrific that I'm glad that she got the awards for her. Clint Eastwood does the scruffy voice as usual, but he's always good at it, and the direction by him is also great. Morgan Freeman plays his character a bit deeper than his usual characters which I like, and it's really unexpected to see Jay Baruchel in this, and seeing him play a person that's not bright, but not dumb, is different, and he does a great job at it that doesn't feel stereotypical. The characters are very developed that you enjoy them very much, and the writing by Paul Haggis understands about the main character not having a good enough job and is just willing to do anything to do what she dreams to do, while also flowing out from the other boxing films that makes this stand out and also not predictable, which I'm surprised to see that from an underdog story. It gives enough fight scenes that are entertaining to watch that's not boring, and the chemistry between Hilary Swank and Clint Eastwood is funny, interesting, and very sweet that they really care about each other, and not in a relationship type. Now, let's get to the ending. I'm not going to spoil it, but let me just say, that it had a lot of controversy that some people didn't like that type of ending that it had, so for me, it's really hard to know whether it was the right choice or not, not film quality wise, but character decision per se. It's very effective no doubt, but it wasn't like messing with your emotional strings. So for me, it's not saying that you should agree to this ending, but you understand why they went with that, and it shows that they'll be consequences to it. In the end, Million Dollar Baby is honestly one of my favorite boxing movies and is up there with the greatest Rocky films.
November 29, 2016
This is one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen who the hell in their right mind thought this pg version of saw was worth a damn. I'm down sure lucky I didn't waste a penny on this pity party.
November 10, 2016
HATED THIS MOVIE!!
So wrongly advertised!!
I thought it would be a Rocky kind of film!!
Gratuitous heartbreaking sadness!
Sadest movie ever. Wanted to walk out but husband wanted to stay.
Why is it that if a movie is sooo sad it gets great reviews and ratings!
½ November 6, 2016
Despite being as dramatic and emotionally powerful as the best of them, Million Dollar Baby is not your typical sports drama. There's plenty of elements of a Rocky style underdog story here, such as Maggie Fitzgerald coming from nothing to win everything against all odds, but the way writer Paul Haggis and director Clint Eastwood tell this story never makes it feel derivative in a genre full of familiar tropes. In fact, the film never truly has time to fall into standard sports drama territory: this is a very multi-faceted story that never focuses just on Fitzgerald's story, but interweaves multiple narratives and character progressions into one cohesive narrative. Fitzgerald, played by a charismatic Hilary Swank truly giving her all here, is, reluctantly, taken under the wing of Frankie Dunn, an uncooperative boxing trainer with a long history behind him. Dunn struggles with his own obstacles, largely rooted in struggles with religion alongside a growing paternal relationship with Fitzgerald, and Eastwood plays the character with a warm sense of heart behind his grizzled face. He has a friendly but occasionally strained relationship with a fellow employee at the boxing gym, Eddie "Scrap-Iron" Dupris. Morgan Freeman plays Scrap, and instills his familiar presence in a quiet that is both subtle and powerful. The film takes a strong right turn midway through the film, one that most sports dramas never find themselves delving into, and one that ultimately builds into a heart-breaking conclusion to the arcs of these three stories. What Eastwood has crafted is a stunning piece of film that stands as some of his finest work both in front of and behind the camera.