Million Dollar Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Million Dollar Baby Reviews

½ February 28, 2016
After watching Million Dollar Baby I don't know whether or not to feel inspired or drained. Clint Eastwood is very good at making emotional screenplays and getting an audience engaged in a story. Million Dollar Baby is no exception. The story follows boxing coach Frankie Dunn (played by Clint Eastwood) who is one of the best coaches in the world of boxing. His coaching career changes forever when he meets a down on her luck woman named Maggie, who really just wants to fight and make a living. What this movie REALLY succeeds at doing is making you feel about the characters. Maggie is a character you just wanna hug. She is a fractured person for sure but that's what makes her so lovable. She's determined, inspired, feisty, and considerate. All these factors make a character feel human. Maybe that's why these characters are so well respected, because they act humane and not like actors playing characters. Frankie is another interesting character, while he's not the most huggable person in the movie, I still felt for him a lot. He seems gruff and kind of a crotchety old man on the surface, but I could visibly see his passion and feelings, and as a result makes a well rounded character. Morgan Freeman and Jay Baruchel were memorable side characters that I thought gave this movie definition. What I mean by that is that this movie found what it wants to establish itself as and that's an underdog story. Maggie is an underdog because of her past and no previous boxing experience. Frankie is an underdog due to training a woman in the ring when he's only trained men. Eddie got his butt kicked and ended his career and shows how he's determined to just go on in life and forget. I think that's a really good message in a film that you'd expect to be kinda grisly in the first place. The chemistry between Maggie and Frankie is unbearably amazing. While I was watching, I couldn't believe how well these two played off each other. Their dialogue during their arguments or pre-fight scenes were reminiscent of Mickey and Rocky. I really enjoyed the aspect of how Maggie felt like Frankie was the father she never had and Maggie was the daughter that Frankie felt disconnected from. The story, as stated before, is not something to be taken lightly. This film will emotionally drain you no matter who you are. The ending to this film will bring the strongest to tears because of how gutsy it is. When you think it gets bad at one part, next thing you know it gets worse and vise versa for when things begin to look up. I feel that Million Dollar Baby is a very well written film, it wraps everything in the end together to connecting it to key events throughout the runtime. This is the kind of movie that will have you standing up and cheering and then the next have you bawling your eyes out. This film is very well acted, well written, the dialogue is well written, the characters are humane, and the overall result is one heck of a boxing film. A-
½ February 28, 2016
Million Dollar Baby is a great movie and by far one of the greatest boxing movies I've ever watched. The acting is just MIND-BLOWING, and i could say that it would also be a great movies to watch with your family too. Although, this movie could have been made better by focusing a little more on the training part and the early life of Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank). But overall its a must-watch to hollywood lovers.
February 19, 2016
With a grade "A" cast, the film tells a beautiful story around a boxer and a trainer. The ending is a bit controversial.
February 3, 2016
Nothing in your pocket but a goal to win. When we do it all wrong to have someone tell us otherwise what is right. What we see, we shouldn't see. fighting beyond endurance, pain, physical capability is the magic of boxing.
The bag is constantly moving, moving towards you, all around, away, you don't want to hit it when it comes toward you, it's going to smother your punches away. keep rotating, keep your shoulders back, tuck that chin, give some power shots in it.]
Able to fight in the ring and out, and know when to stay down when your beat.
Whom is a trainer to you? business or personal? handed down knowledge for what? When throwing a punch is survival for some, and some to win, and others but a dreamer.
boxing is an unnatural act, it's backwards, we move our legs left and step into our feet & toes goes right, we move our legs right, step into into our feet & toes goes left. knowing how to stand, keep them legs under your shoulders. Make them feel it in your bones, only programmed to listen to you and no one else. learn to keep your balance and knock it off your opponent. Generate momentum of your right toe. flex your knees when firing a jab. fight back in up, so your opponent doesn't come after you. learn to breathe under pressure. the body knows what fighters dont, knowing how to protect itself. it takes over what you don't know and reacts on its own. (knockout mechanism) And repeat.... born fighter.
We are in this ring of life, no breaking out of, naturally we are born into. Living with simple truths to what we know, and what it takes and what we have.... age, strength, money, knowledge. when we are not in the position to be fooled or provided false hope, only 100%.

when your trainer knows whom is on top, the greatest contenders and only know if we are ready. Come all this way, for some to use you, take advantage of that skill, and opportunize. For others, it's more than that, breaking the trainer & fighter bond, when its all over when you have taught all there is to know about fighting, what more. When fighters are no different then other fighters, the technique passed down from one fighter to the next, all contained in a ring full of history of boxing. your trainer knows you, because he not only trained you the technique, but mentally and physically what your capable of doing.
All fighters try to remain on the top, know everything, overcome anything in the ring and in life. Can't argue with a fighter without a grudge fight. Can go round to round, in control of their opponent and round you take.
trainers whom take a risk at you, but not entirely confident, to see what you are capable of. knowing your fighters determination above all is worth the risk. A trainer needs to protect its fighter, Concern for them, and provide for them when they can't do it alone.
When there is not only rare hungry, barewood & bone fighters like yourself that are great fighters.
When caring less about titles, wins, ranks when the next opponent is just fun curiosity to see what we lack or what good we are.
Some risks we can't take back, if we fight, we make the risk on our own without burdening others. Some risks we better not take not for the loss in the ring, but loss in whom we want around in the ring. Being a fighter means you have a team of trainers behind you no matter what along the way, we protect ourselves other ways and ourselves. when no one understands who you are but your trainer and you. we try to escape thatblife, and try to help others too, but that life ain't for us all. We have changed with time, we are a league of our own after fighting the best elsewhere and improving on who we are.
When intimidation and reputation and stories means nothing when your a more respectable fighter and able to beat them. when years of training doesn't beat the best training. 2 fighters both evenly matched don't want to return to that life they wished to escape, take the turn for the worst...
When the trainer becomes the fighter for the fighter. When they are more than your fighter, but your own flesh, blood and bone. You share more than fighting in common, a connection both still make each other a trainer and fighter beyond the ring, beyond fighting. we know exactly whose been by our side the whole time. when we are losing the fight and know when to stay down, and return to that lifeless life we once lived. No matter what other life we can provide for others, there is only 1 life that makes us truly alive, worth living, makes us truly part of this world.... if it's boxing then that was it. We fight ourselves, the burdens we carry are heavy enough that it kills us. We fight to overcome these burdens, redemption, new life, selflessness, and fulfillment of that void in our life. When the burden is too much and unbreakable more than anyone can imagine, we given in. How many defeats in our lives do we say enough is enough, time to hang it up.
February 3, 2016
Moving, heartbreaking, Million Dollar Baby definitely raises the bar for boxing movies, transcending clichés with Eastwood´s gripping direction and benefiting from flawless acting from Swank and Freeman.
January 31, 2016
Hilary Swank... So good. Clint Eastwood speaking cryptically in harshly lit corners as usual.
½ January 30, 2016
A prime example of a film that--- through moving and layered performances, confident direction, and a wonderuful screenplay--- transcends the cliches of its genre. This film will move you at every turn.
½ January 24, 2016
Great movie sad ending but loved the movie.
January 19, 2016
Clint Eastwood's best film to date.
January 14, 2016
This is more than a boxing movie - it's a gritty symbol of the value of life, and of when we discover we have fulfilled our potential. Supported by great performers and an all-in-one job by Clint Eastwood, but it has me on a few strong dialogues.
½ January 11, 2016
FUCKING BORING AND STUPID I DON'T CARE ABOUT CLINT EASTWOOD, BOXING, OR HILARY SWANKS MANLY ASS. FUCKING AWFUL.
December 31, 2015
I've come to accept that the final act isn't forced into the narrative, nor is it a deliberately cruel twist. If you pay attention, even the training and boxing material exudes sadness. This is a film about how crippling and unfair life is for most people, not how a few triumph. Barring some cliched scenes, Eastwood succeeds with this heartbreaking narrative.
½ December 27, 2015
A punch in your stomach with an elegantly gloved hand. I can't find a better way to describe this movie. It has a very polished and elegant look, it has a positive atmosphere, then it suddenly punches you at as strongly as possible and send you KO.
½ December 27, 2015
The worst movie ever made.
December 23, 2015
There are few movies that can make you laugh and cry at the same time. When you find one that touches your soul you cling to it and never forget it. The chemistry between Eastwood and Swank and Eastwood and Freeman is some of the best of the 21st Century.
½ December 13, 2015
Million Dollar Baby is a lot of things. It's riveting, emotionally powerful, heartfelt and devastating at the end, but it's also schmaltzy and somewhat cliched. There are awkward exchanges and cliche lines, but the film's awkward points are overshadowed by the heart the movie has. We want Maggie to win and although it's a little unbelievable this girl could knock out so many contenders as if it was a comic book, when she's in the title fight against the woman who eventually takes her life from her, you want to be in there with. You want to step up into the ring and protect her. The film's second half is somber and devastating, but powerful. It ends a very sad film, but for a film about boxing, Million Dollar Baby has a knock-out ending. Overall a flawed, but ultimately very good movie.
½ November 28, 2015
At some point the result is not that matter, It's about whether you take the chance and try your best to earn it.
November 25, 2015
"Million Dollar Baby" is beyond your average underdog boxing movie thanks to not only an emotionally deep script, but great direction and acting from Clint Eastwood as well as fantastic performances by Morgan Freeman and Hilary Swank.
½ November 1, 2015
Apart from Morgan Freeman's wonderful voice and narration, there was little about this film which appealed or held my interest. There were too many slow, drawn-out scenes resulting in a depressing feel throughout. AAW 1001
½ October 17, 2015
sometimes the best way to deliver a punch is to step back