The Million Dollar Hotel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Million Dollar Hotel Reviews

January 19, 2012
this film is my favorite of all time.
January 9, 2012
I live Mel Gibson here!
½ January 7, 2012
bono should sell his sunglasses what a load of crap disguised as a movie
½ December 28, 2011
Watched this movie because I believe Bono wrote the script or something to this movie and well it wasn't horrible it wasn't all that good.
December 10, 2011
don't spend the night in/with this flea ridden dump.
December 2, 2011
review coming soon ...
September 4, 2011
Watched half an hour of this shit and then turned it off. When I realized it was made by Bono that was the last straw. It should have been Gibson and hot Mila kicking ass, not bein weird!
August 21, 2011
what a mess of a film.
½ May 14, 2011
"Jeremy Davies, narative during the film is like nails on a chaulk board." An extremely poor, film.
April 28, 2011
Very soapoperaish and a bit on the weird and cartoonish side, but the more I watch The Million Dollar Hotel the more charming it becomes. With great actors and an artistic director, this little film has a very underrated side that I personally enjoy.

A dreary hotel with colourful, if mentally ill residents are investigated by an FBI agent over the possible murder of a son of a wealthy business man. The media attention leads to a money scam involving tar paintings, and the agent's investigations go nowhere, so he becomes close to the hotel retard, Tom Tom, who though acts like a jester, knows more than he leads on. Though this movie makes itself to sound like a murder mystery, it's not really that much. This movie is more like a love story, with the main character and narrator being Tom Tom, and with all the excitement he is able to find the courage to get to know the hotel whore, Eloise, who Tom Tom has a crush on. It's a bit of a moody movie with calm and awkward moments, but each moment is very personal and interesting and often really fun. All the actors play such colourful and wacky characters. It's really cool to see Mel Gibson be in a small movie like this movie. It fits him. But as great as he is, the most interesting stars are Jeremy Davies as Tom Tom, who just does the most ingenius and hilarious actions, and Milla Jovovich who looks as lovely as she does sad and personally destroyed from the inside out.

Wim Wenders as the director was a good choice. This drama heavy story needed somebody who has an artistic vision to get every emotional scene look perfect, yet still make the movie interesting and enjoyable. There is definitely some great cinematography done on this movie that makes simple moments very memorable. The awkwardness of the story though almost draws away from those feelings, but they do pick right back up again. the absolute dilapidated look of this messy hotel sets up a perfect emotional enviroment with great meaning. And even better yet, because of the set look of the hotel, great uses of lighting can be seen as well. These shooting locations and set designs creates a wonderful atmosphere, and mixed with very slow and indie music from the film's producers, Bono and U2, this movie creates an arthouse feel that may take an aquired taste, but is ultimately satisfying and easy to get used to.

It's not a perfect story, it has it's cute moments and it's awkward moments, but The Million Dollar Hotel is just calming, indie, emotional and entertaining enough to be great to watch. Wonderful performances, and some really striking and memorable scenes, The Million Dollar Hotel is a small movie that frankly is highly underrated and doesn't come close to having the amount of respect from critics as it should. May take an aquired taste for the dramatic, but this movie is definitely a rewarding one to see.
½ March 27, 2011
Esta película es una de mis favoritas, escrita por Bono (U2) y Nicholas Klein. Es poco conocida pero la recomiendo. ;
March 27, 2011
Mixed feelings about this one - the beginning is brilliant but from there on it goes down hill....
½ February 19, 2011
Fools love & Bonos music - great.
½ February 6, 2011
I really wnat to see this.
January 22, 2011
Do mesmo diretor do doc. Buena Vista Social Club, com participação de Bono na história e trilha sonora feita pelo U2, tem a segunda melhor adaptação de 'I am the Walrus' do cinema ;) Sem falar da gatíssima Milla Jovovich arrasando como maluca e Mel Gibson não tão bom assim como agente do FBI ex-corcunda inescrupuloso. Vale a pena :)
theunknownhobo
½ January 20, 2011
Not many people I have spoken to have seen this film but as a Jeremy Davies fan (whom I discovered a love for first in his portrayal of Charles Manson in Helter Skelter and then by accident as Topper in the darkly deviant black comedy Ravenous) I would have to say that it is one of the most haunting and heartbreaking movies I have ever seen. Although Mel Gibson's presence seems a little odd, as you keep expecting him to pull out a gun and start shooting (as he does on one occasion) I felt his portrayal as a physically deformed polic officer investigating the suicide of a man in the hotel believable. With a perfect narrative from Davies and a strong, all be it odd, cast of characters behind him, this movie is one of my favorites and is one I am happy not many people have seen.
½ January 3, 2011
The Million Dollar Hotel is not for passive watching where you are led by the hand through the familiar landscape and characters of a mystery movie. Nor are you given musical cues to know how to feel in a particular instance. You have to work off your senses and intellect to perceive it, and to be patient if it takes you in a direction opposite to your wildest guesses.

It can even get irritating - as you are about to blame the movie for having no spine - or in truth, for lacking, entirely, conventional twists and turns. It throws you off as you are figuring out whether to perceive it as a film of crime or suicide, romance or a freak house, comedy, mockery or living poetry. Like life, this film has it all.

Yet in a sense, the movie is transparent in foreshadowing its three major themes and their resolution - coming from its very heartbeat, the lyrics co-written and performed mostly by Bono. In the opening scene, a young man Tom Tom hurls himself from the roof of a dreary flophouse - "The Million Dollar Hotel" in downtown Los Angeles - committing suicide with a strange joyfulness.
½ December 3, 2010
this movie bored me 2 fuck!!!
November 28, 2010
The film isn't very good. The Million Dollar Hotel is an uneasy melding of Hollywood shtick and art-house sensibilities.
½ November 21, 2010
Presumptuous and shallow, I believe these 2 words sums it up this movie very well. I've waited 10 years after its release to watch this movie, and after reading some bad reviews of it, I wasn't expecting much to be quite honest. The Million Dollar Hotel didn't surprise me at all, the concept was good but it wasn't well executed, which is a shame [I've actually fallen in love with it, maybe that's why I've waited so long to watch it ~ I was afraid to spoil this love story?] All the actors gave their best efforts trying to keep the film and cover up its weakness. Most of the characters were "shallow" - not to say all of them - and the way they were played seemed a little[a lot] bit "over", they were all ~oh INTENSE~ without a cause because the script didn't gave them a chance to be interesting, the storyline developed so fast and all of sudden the girl who could barely acknowledge someone's existence for years is now, out of nowhere, crazy in love with that exact same person. Who are those people? The screen writers didn't seem to want us to relate with the characters at all, so we have a little unnecessary bit of this, a little unnecessary bit of that and consequently EVERYTHING is absolutely VAGUE. Mel Gibson was all sorts of wrong for that part, it would have been million times more interesting if this role had been given to the always amazing Tim Roth instead. The chemistry between Jeremy Davies and Milla Jovovich was great, it was a shame what directors/producers/I don't know,etc did to them. But the Soundtrack is amazing, i like the sceneries too and the photography. It was a good experience after all, but I wish they had given the spotlight to its story. Ps: Love you Mr. Hewson <3