Mimesis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mimesis Reviews

½ October 24, 2014
Once again Doug proves he can't write or direct. Even when he has something as great as Night of the Living Dead as the source material. I can't wait to see what Doug takes from the public domain pool next........
August 21, 2014
Surprisingly good in my opinion. Not that it was anything great but I was expecting it to be mediocre at best and probably awful. The concept is intriguing if pretty unbelievable. Most of the acting is just okay but none is really bad. Sid Haig is amusing in a cameo role. The special effects are unimpressive and likely to greatly disappoint blood and gore fans. All-in-all an entertaining if not very memorable movie.
April 1, 2014
Best viewed with a knowledge of Romero's Night of the Living Dead. The film is an homage that follows extreme horror fans who seek to live their favorite horror film. Several critics top ten lists. A best seller for Anchor Bay. Definitely worth checking out. See Night of the Living Dead first then check this out.
½ March 18, 2014
Half way into the film...no....seriously not even that far...more like 15 minutes into the film,that I figured out the plot of the story. Either it's a sign you watch too many types of these movies.......you may have a good career as a detective......order the story last translucent as water and a crystal glass. I'm putting my money on the last category!..lol
I felt this movie could've been better....
½ March 15, 2014
Good premise, but the rest is trash.
February 8, 2014
Surprisingly original premises. Rather than another retelling of Night Of The Living Dead, the filmmakers take it a step further and break the fourth wall. A terrifying dark comedy of what a group of crazed, Youtube and videogame Y-generationers might be capable of.
January 30, 2014
Cool Because It's Basically NOTLD
October 7, 2013
A low key, under budgeted flick, but with a fresh storyline. It delivers the curiosity needed to enjoy the movie till the end, however seems a bit draggy at times. But is something fairly different.
½ August 13, 2013
While this film had great ideas and thought-provoking subliminal messages, pathetic execution destroyed all potential and made this 95 minutes of hoping the end were near.
½ July 31, 2013
Of course it's not a masterpiece, but in my mind it's one of the best homage to an old cult movie I've ever seen and it's a shame it didn't make it to the big screen in my country!
½ July 7, 2013
pretty good night of the living dead movie!
May 28, 2013
Mimesis has a great idea for a horror movie, but messes it up with horrible acting, lazy direction, and standard special effects. If the execution was as good as the plot then this would have been a cult classic.
½ April 20, 2013
Mimesis features an excellent premise: a group of people take hostages, dress up as zombies, and enact a recreation of Night of the Living Dead in which they actually kill their victims. But despite some solid moments, the film never quite reaches its potential. Still, an entertaining and somewhat original horror film that deviates from the mainstream zombie film.
½ March 16, 2013
Mimesis, to me at least, appears to be more of a Saw clone than an homage to Night of the Living Dead. The setup is simple and completely retarded: die-hard horror fans decide to kidnap a bunch of people from a horror convention and throw them into a recreation of the original Night of the Living Dead. They dress them up as the characters and pretend to be zombies as they kill them off one by one. In the first place, the original Night of the Living Dead has been ripped off and imitated more times than one can count so this is just another filmmaker's attempt to cash in on that film, despite them claiming it to be an homage. Second of all, it's a really poor film, even for a horror film. It's full of shots of women's asses, speed up/slow down and loads of other horror cliches. The acting is piss-poor, the gore is a mix of Kool-Aid & CGI and the look is just god-awful. There's nothing really positive to say about this, and the fact that it apparently will have sequels, just makes me sad. Utterly forgettable from the top down, just skip this piece of crap altogether.
February 23, 2013
mimesis is a Good horror movie. it is fans at horror convention knock unconscious and our put in side the classic horror movie. Night of the living dead. c+
February 21, 2013
Good concept turned into a lame horror as a group of unwilling participants are forced to role play a deadly reenactment of Night Of The Living Dead. Director Douglas Schulze seems more interested in showing you all the cool camera and editing effects he learned in film school then building any tension or suspense and has no idea why and when to use those effects. Random does not equal style and certainly does not equal storytelling.
February 6, 2013
this is an excellent movie. my son stars in it. yes it make be from night of the living dead,but the excitement of this and the great acting and directing of the total cast is very amazing. due out on feb 12th on dvd it is sure to be a sell-out i'll bet.
February 6, 2013
LOVED IT. Reputable horror zines like Fangoria and Rue Morgue LOVED it as did I. I saw it at Shriekfest in Los Angeles. Loved the premise, the acting, the mood. It's made several reputable critics top ten lists for indy horror 2012.