Min and Bill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Min and Bill Reviews

½ January 5, 2014
Interesting characters. Okay story.
½ December 23, 2013
One that likely is happy sitting in the vault. The relationship between Min and Bill is interesting if not overly compelling. Apparently this was quite the film to see in 1930 but I would argue that that is more of a case of having little competition.
August 21, 2013
Marie Dressler won the Best Actress Oscar for this MGM film, which was a huge hit, turning her and Wallace Beery into Hollywood's most popular stars in the early 1930s.
½ August 13, 2013
The insurmountable Frances Marion, of early talkie melodramas, co-wrote this one. Stars Marie Dressler and Wallace Beery add a fair amount of warmhearted, ornery humor to the drama. The often drunk fisherman, scrappy low-rent hotel-owner, and orphan girl coming-of-age make for an unconventional little family. Their concern for each other is touching. The difficult life choices they face are still relevant today.
November 16, 2012
Sadly is a forgotten movie now, but Marie Dressler performance in this movie deserved attention forever. At a time when actress acted so stagey and melodramatic on the screen, Marie came up with a natural performance and bad mood expression that fits so well to this strong woman, Min. The final scene, that look in her face that mix fatigue and winning feeling is priceless. So modern.
½ September 30, 2009
A delightful classic, Marie Dressler, as always is wonderful. It balances drama and comedy very well. Great supporting cast. Well produced.
½ August 17, 2009
A excellent film featuring an incredible performance from Dressler.
June 24, 2009
A friend once told me the celebrity I most resembled was Marie Dressler. I took it, ruefully, as a compliment. Dressler's acting style was heavily influenced by the traditions of vaudeville and silent film melodrama and may seem quaint 80 years later, but I defy anyone to say she didn't earn her Oscar with the last close-up of this film, in which she wordlessly communicates a complex sequence of emotions that form a kind of epilogue to the movie.

Also interesting to me: The relationship between Min and Bill, which seems both romantic and innocent, as if they were childhood sweethearts who grew old without ever developing their romance. I love the knock-down drag-out they have towards the middle of the film. I'd like to learn more about Marjorie Rambeau, too.
½ August 6, 2008
So so movie starring Marie Dressler in her Oscar winning role as Min, a woman who takes care of a young woman she treats as her daughter. When the young woman's drunken mother comes back into town, Dressler tries to keep the two separated. The movie is very short, just over an hour long, and it doesn't give much time to tell much of a story. It feels like we're watch a movie that's missing its beginning, there isn't much Bill in this Min and Bill. Dressler does a nice job, I can't really say whether she deserved to win the Oscar, but it's a not a bad performance. But the movie needed to be longer and have more of a story told.
½ August 4, 2008
not bad depression era fare
January 5, 2008
Stupid movie. Really thought acting and directing were just bad.
November 8, 2007
This has got to be the funniest and heart-warming films of it's genre and era.
Wallace Beery and Marie Dressler gives a tour de force performance of White Trash Star-Crossed Lovers making a decision about the future of Nancy.
The fight scene between Min & Bill alone is worth watching this classic....
July 19, 2007
All CLASSICS are GOOD
July 18, 2007
as good as there was . TOM .
April 26, 2006