Mine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mine Reviews

½ January 5, 2016
Eye opening and heartbreaking.
January 23, 2014
This had me in tears within the first minute and I wasn't sure I'd be able to watch it all as I sat cuddled up with my giant dog and a cat. Really well done, the utter frustration and sadness. You get all sides of this nightmare, the original owners, the new owners, the dog rescuers, the dogs themselves. Focuses on about 4 Katrina victims trying for years to get their dogs back. A couple happy endings. If nothing else I hope Katrina changes evacuation policies in the future, this can never be allowed to happen again.01/13(2)
½ December 29, 2012
This was a very interesting documentary. Especially if you have pets!
December 6, 2012
Some interesting questions raised but the production value is not all that great, thus the 6/10 rating. Saw this previewed on another DVD and immediately put it at the top of my netflix list. The subject is the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - more specifically, what about the animals left behind?

I'm rarely split 50/50 on anything. Right or not, I just have lots of opinions. The preview skewed me one way. Hearing the actual stories, I'm kind of undecided. Kind of. Many pet owners affected by Katrina were just like many pet owners elsewhere: assholes. By now you should know I like animals more than I like people, and I hate pet owners that just have an animal to have it. Some of the rescuers say that thousands of animals were better off basically dying in Katrina to escape the horrible lives they lived before.

On the other hand, some people really loved their pets. They had to leave them behind either because pets were rarely allowed elsewhere, or in the instance of one elderly woman, because the National Guard threatened to take her against her will when she said she would not leave her dog. Either way, as residents were not allowed back into the city, people began to rescue tens of thousands of pets left behind.

This docu chronicles a few of these stories: the above mentioned elderly woman and a few more. It's a complicated situation. Tens of thousands of pets rescued and with no where to go. Most owners will never come forward. Instead of euthanizing the animals, the agencies adopt them out. Months or years later, the original owner may find out and try to get the animal back. What happens then?

The case can be made that some animals live in better homes than they did before Katrina, even when the owners loved the animals. But it just doesn't seem right for a family with everything to take what may be the only thing left for someone after Katrina. In a few instances in the film, people do return the animals. Others do not. In perhaps the worst case, the agency never even lets the adoptive family know the owner is looking. They never get the chance to make a choice.

It's an interesting subplot to the debacle that was the handling of Katrina. I'm not sure there are better solutions. Something that big and destructive is just bound to leave all kinds of shit behind for year.
½ November 28, 2012
doc. about pets lost in katrina and owners trying to fing them, very sad but a lot of nice stories too.
September 17, 2012
Fuck the dogs and the animals stupid fuckers
April 5, 2012
If you are an animal lover, specifically a dog person, you will want to see this documentary. Extremely moving and a heartbreaking film. The film follows several families and individuals who had to leave their pets behind during the evacuation when Katrina hit.
March 6, 2012
This is a very moving documentary film that follows the lives of several people after Hurricane Katrina, and the aftermath of their pets. And what is really interesting about the film is the fact that they do not leave a single detail behind on the care of these animals. There is not a single second of the film that is wasted. And for these being average people, you really feel sorry for them. We're talking about people who love their pets as companions. And there are moments -semi-spoiler- where they have no choice but to just let go of their pets, whether it be to a shelter or to a new family. And to see it for the owner, it is heartbreaking. But then you feel moments of uplift when you see the animals' lives change in the way that they do, whether it be for better or for worse. While it can be preachy at moments, it does have a positive message of what people have done to help these animals, and you leave with a sense of "they need help. And you may not be able to do anything about it, but someone standing up and saying so is better than someone who chooses to do nothing."

I think that the reason why a lot of people synthesize with this film is the fact that our government handled Hurricane Katrina so poorly, and that is what caused me to feel sorry for these animals. So, this is a moving documentary that anyone with a pet should watch.
October 14, 2011
Outstanding documentary. Highlights a complicated situation in the middle of a dark spot in recent American history.
½ June 12, 2011
Wow. If you are a true animal lover then this will affect you in a big way. I spent pretty much the entire film sobbing uncontrollably.
½ May 28, 2011
Charming documentary about mostly white "animal rescuers" who apparently waited their whole lives to play the evil dog-napping rich fucko from Lassie in a real life movie. Mine gloriously details their triumphs over much poorer (and generally much browner) people who've lost everything else already, and now they get to lose their pets, too. Bwahaahahahaha, because we care so much and we're richer than you, that's why.

May cause strokes or stroke-like symptoms, unless you're exactly that kind of creep.
May 17, 2011
Well done documentary. Although I spent half the time crying my eyes out (I'm a sap), it was a touching movie (obviously) and an interesting perspective on pet ownership.
May 13, 2011
an excellent film; brings the complex issues of hurricane katrina into sharp focus. this makes a wonderful "teaching tool" with family and students...my only complaint - the film is too short!
February 19, 2011
At first, I was not sure I would be able to watch this. I am an avid animal lover and have volunteered in shelters since young adulthood. Having adopted from a shelter (RIP, Widget El Greco Copperpot, Esq), I couldn't imaging the emotional roller coaster of being asked to give my dog back to the returned owner 3-4 years after the adoption. And that is exactly the story that plays out here for hundreds of thousands of families, evacuees and victims of Hurricane Katrina.

This documentary does many things right: not one interviewee is set up as the bad guy, for there are no bad guys here -- just animal lovers. Additionally, unlike most documentaries, the filmmakers do an amazing job of offering multiple viewpoints for and creating conflicting emotions within the viewer. Just when you think you have figured out how you feel, another part of the story is revealed.

Whether you are a native of or lover of New Orleans, an animal lover, a historian or just a documentary lover, this is another amazing chapter in the collosal infrastructure debacle that was Katrina and is not to be missed.
February 6, 2011
Wow... if you need a cathartic cry, as well as food for thought, then this is the movie for you. It showcases both the good and bad in America- as well as the American people. You can't help but wonder "what would I do" ... and as you watch the stories unfold, you quickly come to realize that the answer isn't as easy as you might think. Two thumbs up~!
½ December 9, 2010
makes me wanna hunt down JJ's new "owners." great doc, everyone - especially every animal person - should check it out
½ November 11, 2010
A documentary on the often forgot, animals of Hurricane Katrina and their struggle. Very well done; great way to draw attention to those that don't always get the attention they need. Yet it saddens me, all the truths that the film reveals, both of which I did and didn't know about.
August 15, 2010
horrible reminder of how unprepared we are and how crappy government can be. get ready for a tearjerker...
July 30, 2010
MINE looks at the situation of the thousands of animals who were stranded in and around New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit. It also focuses on about five individuals who weren't given much choice in taking their pets with since shelters and emergency transportation forbid it. I really appreciated how the director tried to find balance in viewpoints without laying blame.
½ July 24, 2010
This was amazing and heartfelt. It was easy to be bias on this but to see other points of view on the Katrina pets was interesting.