Loose Cannons (Mine Vaganti) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loose Cannons (Mine Vaganti) Reviews

November 8, 2011
Juxtaposing with other Ozpetek's films I have watched (chronically STEAM: THE TURKISH BATH 1997, LAST HAREM 1999, THE IGNORANT FAIRIES 2001, FACING WINDOWS 2003, SATURN IN OPPOSITION 2007), this time Ozpetek is palpably much smoother and more effortless to deal with his gay-oriented hallmark, shunning from all the melancholy and narcissism most homosexual films shamelessly over-exploit.

This film is struggling to overthrow FACING WINDOWS from the crown of my favorite Ozpetek's work (I do need a fresh re-watch of STEAM though). I do not dare to spoil anything here, one prominent astonishment comes at the near end, when the camera fluidly couples with different times, emanates a wonderful visual and spiritual poignancy which exactly one would love to experience from watching a decent film!

The cast may not be perfectly splendid, but every character is worth of some acknowledge for its ensemble undertaking, in particular for Ilaria Occhini (the grandmother in the film), a royal poise exuding from her own dignity, which counter-balances the dramatic banality of the coming-out-of-the-closet plight (namely a shade abominable presence of Ennio Fantastichini). Our leading man Riccardo Scamarcio (from THREE STEPS OVER HEAVEN 2004) may be in lack of a certain gay temperament as the chemistry between him and an irresistibly alluring Nicole Grimaudo is way more tangible here.

The comedy part in the film is somewhat showy but properly amusing; the intermittent interruption of grandma's marriage is adorably empathetic, also I cherish the balmy score (from Pasquale Catalano) and the moot ending which insinuates a positive perspective of the philosophy of our beings.

The blatant snub of 2011 Davide di Donatello awards (only one nomination for BEST MUSIC) is atrociously staggering in my opinion, but it will not stop Ozpetek from coming to be among the most promising virtuoso in the contemporary Italian cinema.
½ September 3, 2011
Une comedie dramatique assez sympa.
Le noeud de l'histoire est une amour tragique, mais au total c'est assez drole.
Justement j'ai attendu quelqeu chose encore a la fin.
½ August 25, 2011
Un film fatto bene che parla di una tematiche che troppe volte cadono nella banalità e nel qualunquismo. In questo caso si riesce ad impacchettare una buona commedia. Simpatica e allo stesso tempo azzeccata la colonna sonora.
August 23, 2011
Simply beautiful film. A complex drama about coming out, not so much as gay but as yourself. The bits of comedy speckled through it keep it from becoming too draining. Like most foreign films it doesn't force feed you the concepts. Sometimes that leaves you a bit unfulfilled. In this case it did, but that isn't a horrible thing. The movie tried to pack a lot of depth into 2 hours but I felt like it could have fleshed out some of the characters a bit more. I felt like you barely scratched the surface of an entire cast of interesting and complex characters. In the end that might not have been such a bad thing. It's enough for the viewer to ponder and interpret the characters themselves. A wonderful portrait of the complexity of people, family, and relationships.

Plus the fact that it has hot Italian men doesn't hurt.
½ August 15, 2011
I can't read as fast as the Italians speak...
July 20, 2011
Light-hearted and sometimes hilarious drama about family and coming out. Lots of pretty faces and witty dialogues, and the performance and atmospheres are natural and realistic. I especially like the way the past and the present intertwined at the end. And also, the actor playing the elder brother is so yummy.
July 19, 2011
What an amazing and intelligent comedy - the best comedy I ever seen! The acting is astonishing and brilliant! Love the ending. If you are a philosophical person, then there are philosophies to learn from this film!
July 18, 2011
bom filminho italiano...
½ July 7, 2011
"Loose Cannons" (Mine Vaganti) is a great Italian comedy about coming out of the closet. When I decided to went to see this film I thought it would be more like a drama and when the movie started I was kind of "What the f-?" but I hadn't seen a film like this in weeks and well, the plot is a drama. I need to say that I didn't understand some parts; the end was confusing to me, with the bride and everything, but it was my problem. Like I said, it's a good and intelligent comedy, the characters are well composed and I loved the fact that Tommaso is not an obviously gay. The beach scene with his effeminate friends and boyfriend is amazing. I laughed my ass off. Congratulations to Ferzan Ozpetek for this amazing movie.
½ July 3, 2011
Nao sei se classificaria "O Primeiro que Disse" como drama ou comedia. Fala da historia de um pai que descobre que seu filho eh homossexual. Nao dah pra falar mais que isso pois iria estragar a surpresa.
July 3, 2011
Entretenida por momentos.
June 18, 2011
Totally recommend it... It is funny and dramatic at the same time and it has good lessons to teach most watchers !
June 11, 2011
Es la pelicula mas linda que he visto, no todo en la vida es La Strada, ni trago, ni rumba, tambien estan las peliculas bonitas como esta que nos ayudan a pensar en que para ser feliz hay que equivocarse varias veces ;)
½ June 9, 2011
El nombre que le pusieron a la película en español nada tiene que ver. Su nombre original si.

En algunos pequeños momentos es divertida, otras veces dramática.
½ June 8, 2011
Non-Hollywood made movies can be a great experience. This one however is definitely not one of them. A waste of time.
June 4, 2011
Ozpetek may occasionally lose grasp of tone " a couple of interim plot-lines just come off as silly or lacking in weight " but 'Mine Vaganti' has soul and warmth lacking in most else of what passes for "quality queer cinema" these days. (But, that's not to say I'm considering it on a different scale, queer or not). Despite the mis-steps, there's more than enough moments to ensure 'Vaganti' remains memorable " the grandmother's gorging on cakes and pastries, or the way Tomasso's boyfriend Marco simply gazes upon him lovingly. Charming as a week in Lecce.
½ May 23, 2011
Leave it to the Italians to showcase family first in their cinema. Better still, leave it to Turkish director Ferzan zpetek (Facing Windows) to capture a family tree with such varied & vibrant branches in his brilliant comedy Loose Cannons. Make no mistake, this isn't the Brady Bunch: The Cantones are moving into the 21st century, whether they're ready or not.

Who wants to spend two hours with a group of people who get along famously without so much as a cross word between anyone? Give me jealousy, love and secrets... After all, isn't this all about family? zpetek gives his audience all this and more... a perfect blend of comedy and satire. He tells an assortment of compelling tales, all within 2 hours and gels them together without redundancy. Each character adds their own ingredient to this delicious film.

Riccardo Scamarcio stars as Tommaso, the youngest son of Vincenzo Cantone (Ennio Fantastichini) the patriarch and head of the family pasta business. Tommaso has been living his own life in Rome and is reluctant to return home and join the family business. Vincenzo is decidedly old school and insists on doing things the traditional way. He expects the same from his family and specifically his two sons. Anything else is off-limits and subject to dismissal from the family. Trouble is, Tommaso is about to reveal a secret or two... that sets off a chain reaction of hilarious (and sobering) consequences.

Tommaso reveals those secrets to his brother Antonio (Alessandro Preziosi) who runs the business' day-to-day operations. Tommaso confides that he will reveal these truths to the entire family at dinner. Antonio warns Tommaso that such a public revelation will cause irreparable damage, but younger brother has made his mind up. Loose Cannons kicks into high gear at dinner when Antonio surprises and upstages his brother with his own declaration. The results of this family dinner compel Tommaso to put his plans on hold and stay awhile.

Normally, I'd provide you more information, but you deserve to experience Loose Cannons and all its nuances for yourself. Suffice it to say, you're in for a real treat. zpetek has an ample assortment of great actors (and characters) and wastes no time in using them all perfectly. Scamarcio is an Italian reincarnation of Tony Curtis with the same haunting eyes that demand your undivided attention. Intense looks aside, Scamarcio's innocence softens his glare and what remains is a man on the cusp of truly finding himself. Tommaso is paired off (literally) with Alba (Nicole Grimaudo) a true loose cannon, but not in the same meaning as the title. Tommaso and the assertive Alba run the business for a while, and start to develop feelings for each other.

Let me say one thing about Grimaudo... She is the perfect woman! Seriously, I'd marry her on the spot without having ever met her in person. If she's half as interesting as the character she plays with such gusto, I'd be twice as happy. From the moment she drives on screen, Grimaudo steals the film (no easy task with such a gifted ensemble.) She takes mundane details such as changing shoes to eye-catching (or in my case, heart-stopping) heights. Her relationship with Tommaso is like a fine Italian dish... each step is taken with care and precision; And while it's obvious they can never be together, you still find yourself holding out hope.

As for the rest of the ensemble, you could hand out multiple awards based on a few moments on screen. Ilaria Occhini is sensational as Tommaso's grandmother who knows a thing or two about secrets. Paola Minaccioni is delightful as the much maligned servant Teresa, and Elena Sofia Ricci is even better as Tommaso's lovelorn aunt who really should wear her eyeglasses more often. The insertion of Gianluca De Marchi and friends gives the film an even further boost with an Italian twist on La Cage aux Folles.

The one thing Loose Cannons doesn't do (not that it has to) is bring much new to the table: zpetek merely perfects what we've seen here and there in prior films. But as any accomplished cook will tell you, it's the simplest ingredients that make the best meals.
May 6, 2011
Un poquito de todo, risas, romance, drama y un final muy bonito. La historia de la abuela es preciosa "esos amores imposibles que son para siempre". Los personajes muy italianos, yo creo que refleja muy bien como es aun la sociedad en ese pais "europeo". Muy recomendada.
April 20, 2011
½ April 3, 2011
Everything but the kitchen sink is thrown into this "feel-good" movie.