Minyeo-neun goerowo (200 Pounds Beauty) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Minyeo-neun goerowo (200 Pounds Beauty) Reviews

September 3, 2015
Tries to address the South Korean culture wide obsession with plastic surgery, but end ups skirting the issue. It also has "Shallow Hal" problems with trying to humanize a fat protagonist while trying to be funny. Also the main male love interest is a dick and very uninteresting as well, so a large portion of the movie is setting up a couple I had no interest in seeing together. Has some light, fun parts, but all of the above problems get in the way and drag the movie down.
½ June 10, 2015
Very very funny and moving ??
½ May 11, 2015
Cheesy Hollywood-style rom-com...too stupid, but it's funny.
½ May 1, 2015
Its message --although we've seen it before in films like 'The Nutty Professor' movies-- is still strong and gut-punching. But '200 Pounds Beauty' is not a depressing movie, although it does start off as mean-spirited. It actually has a lot of laughs to fill you with joy.
½ January 19, 2015
It still perpetuate the social norm that hurt. Love the soundtracks though.
½ January 18, 2015
This movie is funny, yet at the same time meaningful and emotional. It's a really good movie. The plot was kind of trite, but the emotions weren't. Touching on the subject of beauty in such an appearance-oriented society, it's about a talented young lady, who in society's eyes wasn't "beautiful" enough. She, although amazingly talented, couldn't be anything more than mediocre because of her looks--an unfair, but horrifyingly real problem people have in a society like South Korea. She's pushed because of the pressure to look beautiful and did a head-to-toe plastic surgery. The audience gets to follow her as the story reveals her conflicted emotions about her change. While the topic is heavy, there were a lot of comedic scenes that kept the movie from being extremely depressing. Those parts really made me laugh and lifted my mood. Whether or not plastic surgery was the way to go, the movie ended up being a beautiful movie.
January 8, 2015
its so awsome for romance and singing
½ December 29, 2014
This was a good movie that made me laugh and cry. It quickly became one of my favorite Korean Films.
½ February 22, 2014
[2014-2-22] Is there still a nature beauty in Korea?
June 25, 2013
Love it! Watch it! Sing it! Go for it!
June 10, 2013
If you ignore all the moral questions that are raised about having to look amazing to be successful, this film is good fun. Also has a few nice songs that the actress sings very well.
½ April 1, 2013
The actress Kim A Joong is awesome! This is a really funny comedy and the main actor and actress made it even better~! And she sang really well!
Ave Maria!!!!
March 26, 2013
This movie is fucking weird. I mean, I didn't find it that funny but I accept that the humor just doesn't translate, although movies just like this come out in America all the time and I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the American version either. My real point of contention is with the writing. What was the point of the movie? Didn't everyone watching this go into it assuming that in the end Hanna would somehow regret getting all that plastic surgery and go back to the way she was or something? They sort of attempted to try to make it a bad thing for all of 5 seconds but really her problem wasn't the surgery it was that she lied about her identity. It's true that as Jenny her image was based on being "all natural" but actually when they initially tried to pitch that idea they were turned down. She would have been better off just saying it was all fake. That's what the record executives wanted anyway. Being all natural was a harder sell so she had no reason to lie about who she was. It was simply to move the service the plot because without that there would be no conflict and therefore no movie. You could say she didn't want the guy she liked to know who she was, or you could say she just made a mistake and had to go along with it so she didn't look like a liar but in the end what happened? She stayed skinny. She became famous and successful and she got the guy. I guess the point of the movie could have been not to get plastic surgery for the wrong reasons, or...that like it's motivated people who are successful, and that it takes a motivated person to get off their fat ass and actually go change the way they look if that's what they need to do to be successful, but no one said that explicitly, I'm stretching things pretty far to even try to claim that. Be proud of who you are is a stretch too. Basically the only thing about her that remains is her name. Obviously the film is saying that your physical appearance is very important. So I mean, it is a comedy, maybe the writers thought it was funny to have the ending just be that fat ugly people suck even if they're very talented. I don't know, I don't get it. Plastic surgery has a whole different stigma in Korea. Maybe it's not even controversial anymore. I just felt like this was an unfinished movie. I really think a lot of times when they write movies they just plug in a previously successful cliche, a popular actress, topical social issue, a love story, and a catchy chorus, and no one gives a shit if it's good or not, they just release it to the public. I really do believe that and I'm dying to have anyone on the planet prove to me that that is not exactly how this film was made.
February 11, 2013
This film falls into the trappings of almost every South Korean comedy I've seen lately. It tries to be funny and silly, where this film is at its best, and then becomes melodrama by the climax, and then it's back to the comedy before the credits roll. This is the formula and it simply hasn't changed one bit in the time I've been watching these films. This really is a showcase for Ah-jung Kim's tears. Boy does she cry a lot in this goddamn film. She can be very charming and lovely, but her constant crying, sometimes for no reason whatsoever, got to be too much for me. It tries too hard. It goes without saying that the film is really shallow. The film compaletely harps on the fact that Ah-jung's character used to be ugly and fat and at no point does the film even try to make up for that. The message this film sends is that fat people are ugly and not worth your time. What the fuck??? Imagine if instead of being fat, Ah-jung's character was a lesbian and the film played out exactly the same way as it does now. There's no acceptable way for a film to, imply, that fat people are ugly and therefore not worth the time. There's a good idea here with this character, due to her confidence issue, trying to do something to boost herself. And I think the film could've done a lot with that and the reasons and the complexities of why someone chooses to do this. But, of course, a romantic comedy has to be easy to follow and easy to digest. The film chooses to go the predictable route by having the character become more vain as the film goes along with her distancing herself from her friend AND her dad. It seems I've said this a billion times by now, but the melodrama is absolutely forced in this film. Why would Ah-jung's character choose to pretend to be a different person after losing all the weight and the plastic surgery? It seems unreasonable to do this when she did especially to make others notice her. Why would you then hide who you are? It makes no sense and all it does is ensure the big dramatic moment at the end of the film when, during her first concert, she breaks down and confesses who she is. This scene is terrible and utterly weepy. I don't think the combined weight of every person on this earth could match the weight of the tears that are shed in these 'comedies'. So yea I thought the ending was terribly and horribly weepy. The film, up until that point, was decent and of course they had to fuck that up with the dramatic aspects. As long as these films keep making money then they'll keep getting made. Perhaps it's my fault. I keep hoping for these films to get better and I refuse to accept that this is all a formula and I should just give up. Anyway, not a very good film. At least I didn't enjoy it that much, I'm sure a lot of people will like it much more than I did.
½ February 6, 2013
Country: South Korea
-------------------
At first i thought it was a rip off Shallow Hal or at least it would be a usual cliched romcom, instead i found a real message through a simple and lighthearted plot. Yes, i know it has few silly moments, but we can overlook them as the whole experience of this feel-good movie is worth watching.

Kim Ah Jung-in her first role-fits the role of the cute Hanna and the beautiful Jenny perfectly. yet she did all the songs by herself. yet she did all the songs-performed by Hanna-by herself despite not being a singer.

I like all the songs. my favourite is Maria, which is originally by Blondie. Actually the songs topped the Korean charts at that year.

"200 pounds beauty" was a super hit and won many awards and nominations including best actress and best film, so watch it. it is really a sweet one.
November 26, 2012
Maria!!!! Ave Maria!!!
½ October 26, 2012
A satire on the Korean entertainment industry that is obsessed with plastic surgery and yet is hypocritical to admit it. The theme of "beauty is only skin deep" is overly exploited but with a moving performance from Kim Ah-joong and a sensitive script, it can still be very touching to watch.
½ October 26, 2012
September 22, 2012
good movie...gets at some pretty deep issues...very entertaining
September 19, 2012
nice movie. korean movies are so good in a way that they are able to balance romance, humor, drama, and sex. scoring is also very good, same with the cinematography and editing of this movie. in addition to the fact that it has a good story. =)