Mio in the Land of Faraway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mio in the Land of Faraway Reviews

December 29, 2016
I haven't seen this film in over two decades! If it weren't for this fantasy adventure, I would have never been introduced to Christian Bale, his first screen debut! Very creative, full of imagination, but as far as I recall, the story doesn't make much sense. Must watch it again, if I can find the English translation of the flick.
November 20, 2014
I LOVED this movie as a kid. Been searching for it again forever. Would like to show it to my LO
January 8, 2014
best memory of my childhood. It does not need to be very expensive, or feature lots of special effects. It is the spirit, that keeps films like this going.
October 25, 2013
Atrocious acting (even from Christopher Lee), terrible special effects, horrible dialogue and terrible writing. It really is a poor man's NeverEnding Story.
April 15, 2013
An unhappy orphan is transported to the land of faraway for a magical adventure. Feels like an attempt at a Euro Neverending Story but fails to deliver on the fantasy. Features a young Christian Bale; Abba's Benny & Bjorn contribute music too.
½ April 9, 2013
Magical movie, wonderful music--A Swedish classic!!
January 9, 2013
Before Newies or Batman, Christian Bale played Yum Yum in The Land of Faraway! Wow, what childhood memories this brought back. Fun story.
July 28, 2012
Maybe some really bored kids will like it, but other than that, don't bother.
½ May 21, 2012
Unusually dark and sinister for being a "family movie" but still it's quite good.

*The story is about an orphan boy named Bosse (Nicholas Pickard) who lives with his mean uncle and aunt in Stockholm. One day he finds a bottle (with a spirit with long silver beard, in it!) and is brought to where the spirit says he belongs to; The Land of Faraway. Bosse gets to know that his real name is Mio, and he is son of the King of Faraway (Timothy Bottoms). The people of Land of Faraway has been waiting for countless years for Mio to come. Everybody knows that Mio is predestined to kill the evil Knight Katho (Christopher Lee) who terrorizes the country, kidnapping small children in the night, transforming them into crows and letting them fly around his castle. The only way to kill Katho is to stab him in the heart, with a sword of stone.
To his company, Mio has his friend Yum Yum (Christian Bale, in one of his earliest roles) and his white horse Miramis.*

Min Min Mio, is the movie adaptation of one of Sweden's most celebrated children's book authors; Astrid Lindgren. It's kind of odd if you ask me, that americans decided to make a movie adaptation of this, which in Sweden is considered one of her "weakest" stories and that's probably why the swedes never put it on the screen. There is something campy with fantasy movies from the 80s (The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, Labyrinth, ect.), which not necessarily makes them bad, but they can't compares to movies of today in the same genre, concerning special effects and so on. But then again, what beats a good story?
But I must admit, that for being a fantasy movie from the 80s, this is really good! Much better than The Princess Bride, anyway ;)

I used to like it a lot, when I was a kid (though it scared the hell out of me, and it took me about five attempts until I managed to watch it till finish!).
I was learned that some bottles can contain spirits with long silvery beard, panpipes are exotic and Knight Katho is The Badass of all time!
½ May 10, 2012
i loved this movie as a kid wishing i could see it again
January 24, 2012
seen the swedish one and its a classic, want to se this one
September 4, 2011
Inte lika bra som man kom ihåg den
August 15, 2011
Wish there was a part 2 of this movie.
June 17, 2011
This is based off of what I thought about it as a kid. I haven't seen it in at least 17 years.
April 3, 2011
I remember this movie from when i was 5 years old.
March 2, 2011
An orphaned boy (played by Christian Bale) lives with his resentful aunt and he is picked on by the neighborhood boys. He is given a magic apple by a local shopkeep and is transported to a mystical world where he finds his dad is king. Things are all good until he learns of a knight (Evil Sender) who kidnaps kids to turn them to slaves. So he has to battle the bad man. Though based on an older novel, this appears to have been made to capitalize on the success of Neverending Story, (though its not on par). Interestingly, it was partly produced and filmed in the USSR. Pretty good locations and not terrible effects.
½ September 5, 2010
Funny to see the clash between Swedish and American story telling. Anyway, metaphorically stimulating but didn't hold up fully. On the whole, the film is very interesting to watch for reasons like the innovative special effects. Christopher Lee as the incarnation of ultimate evil Kato was great to experience.
''Mio? My name is Bosse.''
August 1, 2010
E jo et fint eventyr, og det e løye å se den 12-13-årige Batman bli dubba dårligt på svensk. Men som film e der ganske møje som e latterligt dårligt her. Fusst og fremst kluppingå, faktisk. Masse merkelige pausar og innklippsbilder. Skuespelet e og så som så på ein del, gjort verre med den dårlige dubbingå. Musikken, derimot, e kjempebra.
getshort78
½ June 22, 2010
Well it a very long time ago since I saw this one..and,well not to bad,christopher lee is the best and christian bale is a beter actor and Nicholas pickard.
Based on an Astrid Lindgren novel, this fantasy focuses on a Swedish teen drawn into a magical world to battle an evil knight.
April 26, 2010
Ikke i nærheten av å være like skummel som da jeg så den i barndommen, men spennede å sjekke ut debuten til Christian Bale, min favorittskuespiller!