Miracle at St. Anna - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miracle at St. Anna Reviews

June 27, 2016
I generally hate war movies.  Realistic violence and the true horrors of war do not sit well with someone who generally views movies as an escape.  I wanted to see this Spike Lee joint at the first trailer I saw.  More than a war movie, this is a story of four Buffalo Soldiers who end up in Italy.  More than that this is a story of a father/son bond between one of those soldiers, Train, and an abandoned Italian boy, Angelo.  Even though they cannot communicate verbally they create their own tapping language amid a violent backdrop surrounded by all the evils of war.  Highly recommended.
½ April 26, 2016
Lee's war pic is long and could've easily shaved an hour of running time while not disturbing the movies core narrative. Its lack of star power underwhelms.
½ January 31, 2016
Decent movie but I hate Spike Lee and his race baiting ways so I dropped it a star.
November 18, 2015
A colossal disappointment. I'd say i enjoyed maybe 4mins of it.
½ November 5, 2015
This film could've been great! An interesting look for a WW2 film. I loved the Italian town and other themes too. Sadly I'm amongst the few people that will be able to see what good is in this film. To the mass public it'll just crash and burn like Spike's anti-white message. Spike is too much of a racist and it clearly got in the way here.
October 13, 2015
An obvious drama that's coated from head to toe with sugary taste that's near diabetes inducing. Miracle at St. Anna is too long and fails to reach the heart.
June 7, 2015
I Like War Films, 1998's Saving Private Ryan Is My Favorite War Film.
½ February 28, 2015
Though a few spots were either bland or messy, the four protagonists are fairly likeable, and the film hits enough notes for you not to regret seeing it.
February 14, 2015
Some very good acting (and actors) here, and (despite the negative reviews) it bugs me a lot less than some of Spike Lee's other films. However, I agree with the critics that it's way, WAY overlong.
February 6, 2015
Lee's latest does have it's moments of brilliance, but it's gratuitous length and flawed script make it a film that's parts are better than it's whole.
January 2, 2015
War movies about WW2 im always curious to take a closer look at. This flick have got some fair reviews so i gave it a shot. The story goes back to 1944 in Italy where 4 black US army soldiers are trapped. They find a young lonely boy they wants to help aswell.. This movie are rather long with only a few good action scenes and mostly drama in a slow tempo. Some more action and i would have been more pleased but still its a well made movie with goot acting/story.
December 19, 2014
Fairly interesting if you are able to forgive it's heavy handed preaching and clunky dialogue. I didn't find it too long but I did watch it in two sittings. It certainly shows us the horrors of war for all sides.
September 30, 2014
Nowhere near Spike Lee's best film but nowhere near his wrest either. Honestly I was expecting so much more out of this film about black soldiers is WWII. Fact is the movie is okay, any war movie buff will enjoy it.
September 25, 2014
After 6 years I finally decided to watch this awful movie. I should have stuck to my guns and never watched it. Spike Lee should never be allowed to direct again.
July 10, 2014
Great movie. Loved it
June 21, 2014
I didn't see any reason for this movie other than some sort of emotional masturbation. I don't understand why anyone would write a fictional movie about a war that had millions of real stories that would make great movies. Seems to me the director tried too hard to make a tear jerker movie but it was not convincing. There was very little about this movie that makes it worth watching. One of those things was the scenery and some really nice camera work. The ending just fell flat leaving the viewer wondering 'What happened and why did I just watch this?' My opinion; horrible movie, the best part was when it was over!.
½ December 24, 2013
Miracle at St. Anna is a gripping compelling story about four black soldiers save a boy and famous statue while dealing with Germans, Nazis. very good cast. A
November 29, 2013
Great idea; atrocious execution. Lee has lost his touch.
November 26, 2013
A unique perspective on the WW2 movie, but one that suffers from a kitchen sink script, some questionable to bad, acting choices, and a just a plain lousey ending. Still worth seeing though. At least, the Italians speak Italian, and the Germans speak German, take that "Valkrie"!
October 5, 2013
very poor script and poor acting