The Mirror Has Two Faces - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mirror Has Two Faces Reviews

October 8, 2016
Absolutely love this film. The music, the concept, the acting, all were exceptional.
July 19, 2016
I think a great movie could have been made of this book. Unfortunately director Barbra Streisand's ego gets in the way. Every shot seems to be done to try an glamorize Ms. Streisand. It pulls the drama and focus away from the story.
½ February 22, 2016
The perfect romantic comedy for the mature, intelligent audience. It is quite refreshing to find a film that deals with love, marriage and family without succumbing to the average Hollywood formula.
October 6, 2015
Streisand's The Mirror Has Two Faces feels like one is watching a movie star in the midst of a mid-life crisis who instead of sensibly opting for a fling or a facelift decided to make a movie. Whether of not a person will be entertained all depends on if that person adores Streisand. ...I do. So, yes, I enjoy it. However, I am not so lost in adoration to not grasp the painful moment when this misguided movie turns into pure unintended camp. It is a shame because there was potential here. The first half hour is rather charming. Lauren Bacall received an Oscar nomination for her work here. Which in retrospect seems more like an insult than an honor. A great cast is wasted and Streisand must have temporarily lost her sense of humor. ...or her sense.
May 12, 2015
The characters in "The Mirror Has Two Faces", all neurotic, intellectual middle class types, are tired of the manipulations of classic Hollywood. You grow up with an understanding that your first kiss will be set to the sounds of triumphant orchestral melodies; you expect that you'll find someone so perfect for you that doubt will hardly ever be a factor in your relationship. But in real life, shit like that doesn't happen. More often than not, you settle, afraid of becoming a spinster - and if you do happen to become a spinster, you may as well mope around about your loneliness while dreaming along with "It Happened One Night".
Rose (Barbra Streisand) falls under the category of the latter. She doesn't mope around though: she has completely given up. She knows that she isn't a great beauty, and she knows that her biological clock is falling into the pre-stages of menopause. Instead of fretting over her consistently non-existent love life, she embraces her solitude, filling up voids with fattening muffins you find in those plastic wrappers defined by their gigantic, illegible Swedish titles.
Rose, around fifty, still lives with her mother (Lauren Bacall), a past beauty who spends her days as a critical showoff who wishes she were 25 again. Rose teaches literature at a local university, analyzing the doomed lust of Shakespeare's ensembles to the delight of her students - to her surprise, she captures the attention of Gregory Larkin (Jeff Bridges), a mathematics professor who lectures at the very same college. Gregory isn't interested in her like Clark Gable was interested in Claudette Colbert, though; he wants to find love that doesn't have to be strewn together by sex. He wants an emotional connection, a union that requires two souls to unite through their minds rather than their bodies. Rose is skeptical, but she doesn't want to be an old maid the rest of her life - so she throws caution to the wind and starts dating this seemingly asexual oddball.
After courting for months, they get married. But only a few moments into the marriage does Rose realize that she can't handle a relationship that isn't, you know, normal. In the process, she rediscovers herself, giving herself a makeover (a part of a cringe-worthy montage sequence that involves lots of treadmills) and a new attitude. A fresh appearance can't instantaneously change things, however; Rose is forced to decide whether she wants to continue being a part of a sexless coupling.
It's ironic that so much of "The Mirror Has Two Faces" is spent criticizing cinematic romantic comedies for being so manipulative, with their obligatory happy endings and scheming instances of mood music. Because, like those "manipulative" rom-coms, the film is pretty manipulative itself. It has an obligatory happy ending and scheming instances of mood music too - so what's the deal?
Streisand, making her third directorial feature here, doesn't have anything particularly deep in mind. She wants to create a romantic comedy without the seemingly flawless young people with nothing at stake, instead focusing on middle-aged obsessives that have quite a bit more baggage than charm. Putting Streisand's manipulations aside, "The Mirror Has Two Faces" is a successful film, only because it doesn't have a problem with being likable. Likability is nearly a distraction; this is far from an excellent film, but Streisand's indestructible appeal makes it impossible not to slightly, slightly hope that Rose and Gregory will, against the odds, have sex (GASP!) and live happily ever after.
Fans of the immortal Babs will figure that the film is the best thing since chicken fried steak; but those who simply appreciate her star power (me) won't be so sold. Streisand is, as usual, impossible to dislike, yet some of her co-stars, particularly Bridges, don't fit into her syrupy vision so easily. Bridges may be one of the leads, but his character's "no sex" theory is difficult to sell, considering Bridges portrayal is shrill, stuttering, and awkward.
Most of "The Mirror Has Two Faces" is formulaic romantic comedy-drama glitter, set to the tune of your grandma's movie preferences (not a bad thing; formula can be effective, and the film is good); its bright spot is Bacall, who steps out from behind Streisand's Hallmark sheen and represents something real. It's worth your time if you can stomach sentimentality and appreciate Streisand's warm talent. If your gag reflex is weak, though, avoid.
December 17, 2014
I know it's soppy and a wish-fulfillment story but I still fell for it hook, line and sinker.
November 11, 2014
An interesting and funny movie. I loved it. 77/100
½ October 4, 2014
I looked for this romantic comedy after hearing about it in the context of Lauren Bacall's filmography when she died recently, realizing I had never seen it. Bacall crackles as the hypercritical mother, but it is the chemistry between Jeff Bridge and Barbra Streisand that make this enjoyable - he as a man convinced that sexual attraction ultimately kills a relationship and she as a woman looking for someone who genuinely likes her as she is. Her makeover near the end felt like a cop-out - it would have been a better story without it. But there were several scenes that were so laugh-out-loud funny, that overall it was worth watching.
½ May 15, 2014
Saw it many it of my favorite movies!
April 14, 2014
Brings up some interesting ideas on narrative conventions, and then proceeds to adhere to each and every one of them. Also, my god Babs, could this have been a bigger vanity project?
January 27, 2014
My favorite movie and even though it has it's flaws, the movie is powerful.
November 11, 2013
The love of someone who truly wants you for you. To have someone who "truly knows me" what a concept. Great feel good movie. Jeff Bridges at his sexiest.
½ November 8, 2013
A sweet, witty romantic comedy, Barbra Streisand's The Mirror Has Two Faces sometimes suffers from its length and edition, but presents interesting dialogues, and a great cast.
November 3, 2013
Loved this movie, but I love Jeff. Loved the music.
October 20, 2013
½ September 11, 2013
Just about every single moment is awful. The story is awkward and ridiculous, the characters aren't exactly likeable, and the acting is mediocre.. And yet I still didn't hate it as much as I wanted to.

It's a good example of 'guilty pleasure.'
September 11, 2013
I love this movie!!!!
July 3, 2013
Wednesday, July 3, 2013

(1996) The Mirror Has Two Faces

It's hard for me to watch any film that stars Barbara Streisand since she's not the most attractive person to look at but this film has it's moments which is basically another film about 'the ugly duckling'. Jeff Bridges as Math Professor Gregory Larkin, who's tired of many one-night stands and is yearning for a long time relationship, so he sets himself up with an intellectual not-so-attractive female English professor Rose Morgon (Streisand) for the intentions of treating it like a business since he believes it would last longer for eg. sleeping on separate beds and so forth. It's almost like another one of those arrange marriage situations where one isn't attracted to the other but grow to love one another.

You know while watching his film I've seen another film like this before called "Arthur" as well as other TV sitcoms such as "Taxi" except that it's directed by Streisand herself and it's well made without many cringing moments as well as dialogue except that it's a bit long and that some scenes needed to be shortened. But it's great to see other film actors such as Pierce Brosnan, Mimi Rogers, George Segal and Lauren Becall.

2.5 out of 4
April 28, 2013
great Romantic comedy. You will laugh and cry!
March 23, 2013
Does this movie have anything to do with Barbra Streisand? - You'd be blind if you thought otherwise. She directs the picture, she produces the picture, she stars in the picture, and she even writes the picture's theme song... all to an average and substandard level. This increasingly tedious and unbelievable plot just appears to spiral out of control as Streisand's character appears to get prettier and prettier. How can a handsome (but incredibly dull) man yearn for just a sexless marriage with a self-proclaimed 'ugly duckling'?

What was the message of this film?... In order to rekindle an almost broken marriage you should aspire for external self-improvement and a "bitta' makeup". Secondly, where does 'The Mirror Has Two Faces' title come from? In one reflection, you're pretty and in another you're not so pretty? The final question I have with this movie is: is it a romantic comedy or a romantic drama? Streisand's cliché jokes are completely inappropriate in the scenes where we're just about to find some sensual passion that could excite us and revive this bomb.

The appearance of legendary film icon Lauren Bacall provides the only authentic and raw acting emotion that was definitely lacking in this picture. Bacall, in what would be her career-resurging role, plays Streisand's mother in the picture who fails to reckon with the fact that she has wronged her daughter in a way that she can't seem to deal with. The only shame is Bacall's scenes were very limited and more of a featuring role rather than a supportive one, but nonetheless it won her Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination.

This is a complete vanity project increasing the ego of Ms Streisand of continuing the legacy of being the first and only woman (at the time) to have directed, produced, scripted, stared and composed the lyrics to a single picture. What would have worked if Barbra stayed completely out of the picture, stuck to behind-the-scenes (which would have, maybe, improved the camera angles to this shoddy film - or perhaps not) and casted perhaps either Geena Davis, Michelle Feiffer or even Jodie Foster rather than the 54-year-old Streisand trying to portray a 40-something late bloomer.

Since 'The Mirror Has Two Faces', Streisand's film career has plummeted to Razzie-nominated leading and supporting roles and 'Mirror' seems to have been the final nail in the coffin for Streisand's all too descending Hollywood career. Stick to being the greatest singer of our generation, and you'll be alright, Babs! Nonetheless, our girl did manage to increase her ego FURTHER by receiving an Oscar nomination for co-writing "I Finally Found Someone" - the picture's theme song - now, to mention it; I did think it was a catchy duet with Bryan Adams - Streisand's first significant hit since 1981.