MirrorMask - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

MirrorMask Reviews

October 31, 2016
Beautiful visuals and some bursts of beautiful imagination but the plot lacked any sense of urgency or driving force, and the characters were not compelling. Felt like Neil Gaiman had a dream and wrote it down without bothering to shape it into a plot.
December 3, 2015
weird, hard to follow sometimes. Nice visuals.
October 22, 2015
it is very good it like Alice in wonderland a little bit
September 1, 2015
I wildly unique vision from director Dave McKean. The film features a script from author Neil Gaiman and tells the tale of a girl wanting to run away from the circus for a normal life and then finds herself in a transported to a magical and highly surreal world where she gets caught up in a battle between good and evil. The film was produced by Jim Henson Studios and is somewhat along the lines of "Labyrinth" and "The Dark Crystal" in the sense that they are all dark children's stories, but this one is particularly dark and probably better suited for adults or teen audience. Like director McKean's artwork, the film is a mixed media pieces, featuring live action actors, animation, puppets, practical and also digital special effects. The end result is a visual feast and highly original, I honestly don't think I've seen anything like this before or since in terms of the film's look and style. That alone makes this film worth watching, but when you have a dreamlike story from Neil Gaiman it's something that's essential viewing for fans of this type of story. however, I will say that this film is not nearly as audience friendly as something like "Labyrinth" and is not doing to appeal to most audiences. I'd say this film is probably for people who enjoy stories and films from people like Clive Parker, author Gaiman, or the Brothers Quay. I do feel the visuals overpower the story somewhat, or maybe it was that the story wasn't as strong as the best of Gaimain's work, but either way, I found the film utterly compelling to watch. Beautiful, frightening and quite original! And my favorite part of the film had to be a creepily beautiful part of the film where automatons sing Burt Bacharach's "Close to You."
August 19, 2015
85%
Saw this on 18/8/15
Mirrormask is a unique film, filled with interesting low key visuals and it is far too better than most of the other big budget fantasy films Hollywood makes these days. I liked it's story pretty much and it was more engaging than I thought.
August 10, 2015
The story is very lacking, but a visual feast and I loved the "Close to You" sequence.
April 26, 2015
This one just didn't work for me which is disappointing as I had high hopes it would be a visual treat. The story is ok, but gets too weird for my taste. Some of the viual are cool, and some are really bad. The film had grand ambitions, but don't think it had the funds to support them. Neil Gaiman is a massive name in the graphic novel business, so fans of his might be curious, but I think they'll be disappointed. Skip it!
March 27, 2015
A beautiful tale with surrealism
½ March 17, 2015
One of my all-time favorite films. The visual design alone is amazing. Calling it a 'Modernist Alice in Wonderland' is true but wholly insufficient.
March 7, 2015
something of the aquarium watching about this patchy but visually interesting film
½ December 9, 2014
This movie is crazy in the most delightful way. Definitely meant for those with a more artsy personality, as some of the visuals can be really avant garde. The story in itself is simple, but still touching.
½ August 13, 2014
Not only does the story fail to make the overused look original, the music doesn't fit the creepy Jim Henson aura that any movie from that studio carries, whether it's Fraggle Rock or not.
½ August 13, 2014
½ July 29, 2014
I know it was going for something artsy, but...that's really all it was screaming until the first hour...when I stopped watching it.
July 23, 2014
total rip off of 'the never ending story" and not in a good way
½ June 30, 2014
This is a very very low budget version of alice in the wonderland, I have never watched a movie where afterwards I wanted to throw up seriously no joke well there are few others to but this takes the first spot. The art was somewhat cool and that it. The acting sucked, the story was written by a person who recently sniffed a lot of drugs an the music was just awful and so were the animation. The voice acting by the creature sucked. This is quite possibly the biggest waste of my life and waste of electricity. The people who made this film should be asked to never make a film ever again or take part on any films. They focused way to much on the visual and forgot that a movie needs more than visual....it needs a story. Overall this was a godawful movie and I know this review was harsh but watch the movie and then compare this to the movie I would not recommend this to any one but the military cause if needed this could be a very useful tool for torture.
½ April 2, 2014
I have mixed feelings about this film. I really want to like it as I love McKean's and Gaiman's work but this one was boggled down in a strange brew that was harder to taste let alone swallow. The initial drawback was some of the music, which seemed out of place and the lack of delight over the entire film. You need that delight, that awe and it was hard to see where it came from.
February 20, 2014
Strange yet beautiful film.
January 23, 2014
Screenplay by Neil Gaiman... interesting
January 9, 2014
A beautiful, dreamy movie about growing up.