The Misfits - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Misfits Reviews

April 23, 2013
Final performance from Monroe is mature and touching, matched against the formidable talents of Gable and Clift. Starkly scripted by Arthur Miller, the movie exudes an air of inexplicable tragedy and spelled the end of Hollywood's golden era.
April 12, 2013
The Misfits reputation seems to hang on the morbid curiosity, of which plenty has been written. Each of the films three leads had achieved finer things previous to this and while it's not without a certain charm it relatively unremarkable.
April 2, 2013
One of the few films to show Monroe as a real woman - not an icon.
March 28, 2013
It has pacing issues and too much of a happy ending, but you can see why Marilyn Monroe fell for Arthur Miller. That script is almost as in-and-out gorgeous as she is.
½ March 19, 2013
I recently tried to watch this train wreck just so I could say I had seen it. Spent most of my time trying to figure out what just happened and why. Stopped about one and a half hours into the film just to end my suffering. Every bad thing you've read about this film is true and I never want to see it again.
March 15, 2013
as much as i wanted to like this movie b/c i like westerns and interesting cast together for the first and only time i think it just ended up falling flat. also montgomery clift seems self conscious you can tell b/c he looks different after a real life accident. the plastic surgery that he had to have done seemed to not only affect his role as a leading man/sex symbol type but seems to affect him deep down. :( also clark gable seems to be just going thru the motions in this his final film before his death. marilyn monroe seems decent and affective in her role.
February 17, 2013
Beautiful, poetic, sad. You almost forget you're watching three Hollywood legends 'roughing it' as the outsiders of mainstream society, but somehow each of them brought a good chunk of themselves to their characters- spiritually 'fleshing them out'. Gable is all broken-down charm; Monroe innocent and intense; and Monty Clift seems to be sending up his own car crash misfortune in the way he plays a former pretty boy down on his luck after one too many blows to the head. Special mentions also for the electric Thelma Ritter and turbulent Eli Wallach in the supporting roles. He must have felt hard-done by given the fact he probably has more screen time than Monty but makes less of an impact because of his moody plainness.

It's odd, but I suppose this is one of those rare examples where actors 'play themselves' and it fits perfectly with the story.
January 11, 2013
Marilyn Monroe turned down the role of Holly Golightly for this movie. All I can say is thank god that she turned down Breakfast at Tiffany's, if Marilyn Monroe was Holly Golightly then Breakfast at Tiffany's would be the worst movie ever. Marilyn Monroe is nothing like Audrey Hepburn for example.
Marilyn Monroe: A dumb slut who became famous from marrying a baseball player and by posing nude in Playboy. She is the worst actress ever just watch The Seven Year Itch.
Audrey Hepburn: A great actress who became famous from her great performances in Broadway shows which led her to movies that made her one of the greatest actresses ever like watch Breakfast at Tiffany's, Funny Face, Roman Holiday, My Fair Lady, Wait Until Dark, Charade, and Sabrina she had great performances in all her movies. She won over 10 Academy Awards 3 for Best Actress and she got nominated 8 times for best Actress and won 4 of them for Breakfast at Tiffany's, Wait Until Dark, Sabrina, and Roman Holiday. So Audrey Hepburn is way better than Marilyn Monroe in everything except in posing nude since Hepburn would never do that and Marilyn would so Marilyn would win by forfeit. Stupid Capote you sir are an idiot for wanted Monroe are all gay guys stupid or just the ones that have a penis stuck up in their ass. Also only 17 critics rated this which is nothing if 17 critics rated Breakfast at Tiffany's than it would get 100%. Also Audrey Hepburn has way more movies that are 100% then Monroe. Monroe's acting is horrible just watch Seven Year Itch and Bus Stop and Let's Make Love but Audrey Hepburn's acting is incredibly excellently fantastically brilliantly amazing just like her movies Audrey Hepburn is a legendary actress and her movies touched my heart and they were inspiring and they were all incredibly brilliantly excellently fantastically amazing. So Audrey Hepburn > Monroe
½ January 5, 2013
it gets pretty slow toward the middle, but for the most part "the misfits" is a fun film.
December 11, 2012
Hate to admit it but I really couldn't get into these characters, despite Marilyn's rather breathtaking performance.
It feels old to me, not chronologically, but it's from an old 1950s New York stage world where neurotic characters struggle hopelessly to find meaning in their sad, meaningless lives. Marilyn's character is amazingly like Piper Laurie's character in The Hustler, also 1961. Arthur Miller, Tennessee Williams, William Inge - they don't speak to me like they used to, maybe they still do to some young people, maybe not. Oh, I should mention that Clark Gable is terrible, Thelma Ritter is also playing a role, unlike Marilyn and maybe Eli Wallach, who sort of melt into their characters.
November 20, 2012
Absolutely poignant. The backstory behind the film makes it all the more tragic.
½ October 21, 2012
Roslyn (Marilyn Monroe) is a beautiful divorcee looking to redefine her life. She falls in with an aging cowboy (Clark Cable), a depressed pilot (Eli Wallach), and a rodeo rider whose taken one two many kicks to the head (Montgomery Clift). Although she's enraptured by the character of these men and the beauty of the Nevada high country, she and her new companions come to a moral dispute regarding a decision to sell some wild mustangs to a dog food company. The Misfits was written with sensitivity by Arthur Miller and directed with economy by John Huston, but it's best known as the last film featuring Gable and Monroe before their sudden deaths. While it's frequently studied as a metaphor about the decline of the frontier spirit, The Misfits also works as a compelling and well-acted character drama.
October 19, 2012
One of those rare movies that can present a dilemma, allow you to appreciate the complexity of it and still make you sincerely emotionally invested in the outcome.
½ October 18, 2012
I watched this movie and I've got to say Arthur Miller writing this for his wife at the time Marilyn Monroe he couldn't have thought very highly about their relationship but over all i loved it you get to see a very personal side to Marilyn which is intriguing after all Its not a very flattering role and in that aspect it gives fans some insight to her marriage with the most sought after play write of that generation.
October 14, 2012
Not nearly as good as I was hoping. Cowboys who don't know it is time to hang up the spurs.
September 24, 2012
Strong parallels between the actors on and off screen. Tragedy with moments of sunshine. Marilyn Monroe's and Clark Gable's last film.
September 22, 2012
A film emblematic indirectly by placing a stone in the career of Marilyn and Clark, two of the biggest stars of his generation, being curiously protagonist couple. However, it is a good movie.
September 20, 2012
not my favourite Marilyn film, by far
August 30, 2012
Excellent acting and profound script--End Of An Era!!
JonathanHutchings
½ August 23, 2012
A film most famous for its on-set turmoil, The Misfits marks a tragic period in film history: it was both Marilyn Monroe' and Clark Gable's last film before their respective deaths, and Monty Cliff had just come off of facial reconstruction surgery following his horrific car accident -- not to mention Huston's well documented alcoholism and the imploding marriage between Monroe and Arthur Miller. When reading about all of the behind-the-scenes problems, one has to marvel that the film even got made.

For me, any film that attempts to demystify the myth of the "Old West" will always be judged against the paramount example of that theme, Midnight Cowboy. To that end, The Misfits falls flat in comparison. Monroe's character's moral compass is broadly drawn and shallow, as are the half-baked themes of individual responsibility and class stratification. Huston's direction, as usual, is smart and lean, but that's about it.